Spam email from me, or "me"

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Spam email from me, or "me"

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:24 am

Sounds like a number of people got a spam email from me. I changed passwords and all that, though I also learned that it may not be from me-- they hijack some other account and then send out emails claiming to be from the addresses in that person's mailbox.

Anyway, if you get something that looks sketchy from me, it probably isn't from me!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Danny Burk

Re: Spam email from me, or "me"

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 am

I might expect bacon from you, but certainly not spam.

FrankFay

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 12:44 pm

My account has been hacked & I regularly get email purporting to be from my friends. It's easy to recognize & I don't open any of the links.
Eric Stott

boblipton

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Everything from you looks sketchy, Mike.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

fwtep

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Mike, if I recall, the spam I got "from you" the other day was from a gmail account. A few minutes ago I got a warning email on one of my gmail accounts that someone tried to log in to my account. I wonder if that happened to you too. Here's the email I got from Google:

Someone recently used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account @gmail.com" [censored by me for this post]. This person was using an application such as an email client or mobile device.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Monday, August 25, 2014 7:24:02 PM UTC
IP Address: 46.165.220.207

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

I'm sure you know this, but for other people, when you get an email like that asks you to log in to them (bank, email, etc.), even if you're very sure it's real, it's always best to go to the site manually and log in rather than click on a link in the email, just in case.

Roseha

PostSun Aug 31, 2014 10:24 pm

Or you can call. Earlier this year, when I was away from home, I got an alarming sounding email claiming problems with my Paypal account. Since I never use Paypal, let alone any banking or online ordering, except on my home computer, I called them up. The email turned out to be a total scam.
- Rosemary

fwtep

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 10:00 am

True, but I wouldn't characterize getting an email about "your account" from a company you never even use as "you're very sure it's real." :-)

Roseha

PostTue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 am

Well, actually what I meant was "I never use Paypal except on my home computer". :) I don't normally log into any "secure" accounts on my cell phone or Ipad.
- Rosemary

Return to Site Chat