Cole Johnson Passes.

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Tommie Hicks

Cole Johnson Passes.

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm

I've just received the word that one of my best Silent Comedy buddies Cole Johnson has passed. My condolences to his family and friends. I just talked to him on the phone last week and sent him a silent comedy care package.

Frederica

Re: Cole Johnson Passes.

PostSat Jan 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:I've just received the word that one of my best Silent Comedy buddies Cole Johnson has passed. My condolences to his family and friends. I just talked to him on the phone last week and sent him a silent comedy care package.

I'm most sorry to hear this, Tommie. I only spoke to Cole once, but he was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable, really a sweetie. My orofound sympathies to you and all his friends and family.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Bob Birchard

Cole Johnson

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 1:58 am

I read on another site that Cole Johnson has passed away. He had been ill for some time with kidney-related disease, I believe, though I don't know any real details. I can't say I knew Cole well, although I was certainly aware of him through the old "Slapstick" fanzine. Steve Massa first put me in touch with Cole by e-mail when I was looking for information on Lawrence Richardson Josenberger/aka Larry Richardson/aka Dick Rich/aka Larry Rich and he passed along scans of some photos of Larry Richardson in Century Comedies. I only met Cole over the few days of "Mostly Lost" two years ago, and I must say he was a "quite jolly old elf" with a real dedication to comic art, silent comedy, and 20th century American history. Wish I'd known him better, grateful for the acquaintance we had, and hopeful that others will share their memories as well.
Last edited by Bob Birchard on Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradleyem

Re: Cole Johnson

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 6:22 am

Cole helped me with stills for a couple of my books. Nice guy ... and generous. He'll be missed.

Steve Massa

Re: Cole Johnson

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 10:08 am

Cole and I had been silent comedy pals for years - watching obscure stuff at MoMA and LOC, swapping videos and DVDs, and comparing notes on the phone. In addition, he was always completely generous with his amazing collection of stills, and a large percentage of the images in my LAME BRAINS AND LUNATICS, and articles I wrote came from Cole. I hope right now he's watching HAT'S OFF, HEART TROUBLE, Montgomery & Rock shorts, and Fox Sunshine Comedies.

Grzyby15

Re: Cole Johnson Passes.

PostMon May 25, 2015 4:53 am

Bad news, rest in peace man.

Return to Site Chat