Difficulty Accessing Site

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

StopDenyingAccess

Difficulty Accessing Site

PostWed May 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Tonight, Wednesday, I accessed Nitrateville as I do daily under my normal user name, filmnotdigital, and was asked suddenly to submit my password, which I did correctly, yet was rebuffed several times.
I attempted to E mail [email protected] and was told this E mail address was no longer valid.
After creating a whole new password I was rebuffed yet again.
Finally, I opened up a whole new membership using my back up E mail address, and was finally allowed access to
the Holy of Holies.
Was all of this aggravation necessary?
There is something wrong with the operation of this site.
I await a reasonable explanation.
filmnotdigital aka StopDenyingAccess.

TerryC

Re: Difficulty Accessing Site

PostWed May 20, 2015 11:36 pm

I had the identical experience. When I tried to log on I was not accepted and when I tried to get my password sent to me I was told my e-mail was not in the data base. When I tried to re register I was told my e-mail was already in use! After a couple of months I tried again with my wife's e-mail and was successful. Why does a site filled with old farts talking about old movies have greater security than the pentagon!

Jim Roots

PostThu May 21, 2015 5:57 am

TerryC wrote:I had the identical experience. When I tried to log on I was not accepted and when I tried to get my password sent to me I was told my e-mail was not in the data base. When I tried to re register I was told my e-mail was already in use! After a couple of months I tried again with my wife's e-mail and was successful. Why does a site filled with old farts talking about old movies have greater security than the pentagon!

Yeah, especially since the old farts here and the old farts in the Pentagon both enjoy talking about bombs!

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu May 21, 2015 6:01 am

What's wrong with this site? I dunno, that it's full of cranky people?

This is the first I've heard of any of this. And I'm leaving for Cinevent in an hour. I will try to look into it but I can't fix what I don't know about until people come on full of high dudgeon insisting that the site's broken.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

TerryC

PostThu May 21, 2015 7:59 am

Hello. I think the most frustrating part of my difficulty with logging on was the lack of any way to contact the people in charge for assistance. I may have missed it somewhere, but I could not find any "contact us" feature anywhere on the site, available without logging on, although I repeatedly looked, and tried to Google.

boblipton

PostThu May 21, 2015 9:58 am

I just googled Mike Gebert and found him on his food blog.

In addition, if you're concerned about this problem recurring, follow the link to Mike's name for contact information, or, for those occasions when Mike is unavailable, Bruce or Danny.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Brooksie

PostThu May 21, 2015 10:54 am

Or if you use Facebook, join the Nitrateville Facebook page, which usually has info about planned outages, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NitrateVille/126872944033727.

filmnotdigital

PostThu May 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks, Mike,for getting back to me the next day and re-authorizing my security clearance.
Unanswered in all of this Sturm und Drang is why the log in was suddenly required
I use Twitter daily as well and haven't been asked to log in for a long long time
filmnotdigital

missdupont

PostThu May 21, 2015 10:33 pm

I've had no problem whatsoever signing in since the change over to the new server, so it is probably something with your computer or internet search engine causing the problem. There's no need to jump on Mike when having a problem, always check on your side first. And as mentioned, you can go to members at the top of the screen, and plainly listed after Mike, Silentfilm, and Danny's names is the word administrator, so then you can send them a private email.

TerryC

PostFri May 22, 2015 7:18 am

When I click administrators it immediately asks me for my e-mail and pass word. If your password is not being accepted...
Also, I am using my iPhone 5 and tried on two desk top computers an iPad an iPod, so I don't think my system is a problem.

boblipton

PostFri May 22, 2015 8:09 am

TerryC wrote:When I click administrators it immediately asks me for my e-mail and pass word. If your password is not being accepted...
Also, I am using my iPhone 5 and tried on two desk top computers an iPad an iPod, so I don't think my system is a problem.

One of the things I've gathered over the years is that when I sign onto a particular site, it's not a direct connection. The Internet is not like a string with a can at either end, nor even a PBX operator who plugs the jack into the connection for Mr. Frammistat. Instead, you send a message to your ISP and it asks other ISPs if they've ever heard of what you're looking for, and then they ask other ISPs.... Until someone says "Yeah, it's right over here" and they pass the information back along the wending path to you, whereupon it looks like a direct connection. It isn't.

Several years ago, a site I went to regularly disappeared without warning. Acting on the instructions of someone who understood these things, I tried a line command called "ping". The line of enquiry ended somewhere in Oregon and I sent the provider there an email. They responded that everything on their site was working perfectly. A week or so later, I got an email from them, saying they had fixed the problem and the site reappeared on my computer.

So, while it is certainly possible that the problem was with Mike's provider, the Internet provides endless opportunity for geeks to announce that the problem has nothing to do with them... but later claim that they fixed the problem.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri May 22, 2015 9:22 am

I'm missing a movie with Gene Austin just to answer this (ok and to shop the dealer rooms...)

Again, why this is necessary to some people I don't know, because I didn't know it was happening, for one. Also, it is much more likely to be a security issue somewhere between NitrateVille and your computer than anything NitrateVille specifically ever did (no, you are not set to extra double security by me).

So ask Comcast or your router manufacturer or how you set up your security settings. One of those is far more likely the culprit than NitrateVille or me, though I'll grant the possibility something got farbungled when we restored from a backup (though I haven't really seen any other issues).

Thank you Bob for pointing out the other ways to stay in contact with NitrateVille. I swear I put the contact address here somewhere, but yes, the Facebook page is the best bet if you're on there.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

StopDenyingAccess

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 11:20 am

Once more, today on June 24th, I was denied access to my filmnotdigital primary log in name. I wanted to post a change of location under that name. Fortunately I had set up a second backup user name under StopDenyingAccess, which name also serves to call attention to our administrator's unnecessary security checks. So I will be commenting under this name for the time being until Mr Gebert is readyto straighten things out all over again.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Since I have no idea what these unnecessary security checks you speak of might be, I suspect the most likely explanation is that you are entering the wrong password for "filmnotdigital." Please send me an email address via the private messaging system, I will reset your password and send you the new one. If you run into these security checks at that point, then we can try to figure out where they're coming from.

Return to Site Chat