Private Messages Not Going Out

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Private Messages Not Going Out

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 9:47 am

I've had a persistent problem getting my PM's to actually leave their nest and fly away to the intended recipients.

When I've written a PM, I've always clicked on "Submit". Sometimes it will go off and a copy will automatically be transferred to the "Sent Messages" folder.

More often, however, the message will move to the "Outbox" folder and just stay there. And there doesn't appear to be anything I can do about it -- no "Send" button, no "Re-send" button, and hitting the "Submit" button again does absolutely nothing.

Jim

silentfilm

Re: Private Messages Not Going Out

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 pm

If a private message is in your "Outbox", that means that you have sent it, but the recipient has not read it yet. Once they read it, the message goes to your "Sent Messages". What you are seeing is not unusual. I have two messages in my outbox from 2011 that the recipients have never read.

Jim Roots

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks, Bruce. I'm curious if that a common function, or fairly rare among websites like N'Ville? For me, it seems a bizarre way to handle PM's. I'd rather know I sent it successfully and I don't give a damn if the recipient read it 'cause I did my share of the work and the rest is up to him/her.

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 2:44 pm

If it's in your Outbox, you sent it successfully. If you got something wrong (i.e. if I called you Jim Root by mistake), it wouldn't mail at all.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

Brooksie

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 9:30 pm

I think this can also occur if the recipient already has a full Inbox. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way of telling them that they need to clear some space.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 10:46 pm

The system automatically tells you you have messages but can't receive them until you clear out some space.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

greta de groat

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Uh Oh, i've got that problem too. But i can't seem to delete messages--i mark them and then i found "delete marked messages" in the drop dowm menu below, but when i hit "go" i get the "export as CSV" screen instead, even though i'm clicking the "go" that's attached to the delete function. Just hitting enter doesn't work, either. Any suggestions?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Return to Site Chat