Everybody's Cranky

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Everybody's Cranky

PostThu Mar 03, 2016 3:27 pm

I've noticed this in the past here and on other chat sites. Winter runs on and on and people get cranky and discussion gets nastier.

Pretty clear that's where we are.

We can moderate the hell out of everything and that stops it, but it also stops discussion. It drives people away. I don't want to do that.

So, please, let's just try to remember, we're on the same side. We're in favor of the preservation and sharing of old movies. You may like this kind and I like that, but there's not really that much difference.

There's a way to continue a discussion that belittles the other person and says they're stupid, and there's a way to do it that gets more ideas and viewpoints out there. Before you respond, before you go on the warpath because someone thinks something else, just remember, we need as many of each other as we can find to encourage the things we all love continuing to be shared and marketed. Take the high road, or not even that-- the calm road. The, we're in this together road.

Thanks.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Spiny Norman

Re: Everybody's Cranky

PostThu Mar 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Interesting, I never thought of it as a seasonal thing. (I wonder if radiotelefonia, or Southern Hemisphere oriented forums in general are currently free of crankiness.)

If I can make a joke without denying the post above: The only kind of crank we want is this one:

This is nøt å signåture.™

Arndt

PostFri Mar 04, 2016 3:35 am

But we do not want people to ... fly off the handle!
MELIOR

silentfilm

PostFri Mar 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Mike, I talked with David Shepard at the Kansas Silent FF last weekend, and he wanted me to pass along his thanks for the Nitrateville forum.

He usually sticks around for the entire festival, but this time he just did his presentations and didn't stay for other screenings. I only got to talk to him for about 10 minutes.

wich2

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 9:15 pm

Salut from here, folks, for a very worthy site. (And for a nice, balanced post, Mike.)

Best,
-Craig

Zool

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 1:50 pm

Members who, because...

They don’t listen to music made after 1955.
They don’t watch movies made after 1942.
They don’t understand how/why other human beings don't share their likes/dislikes...

They therefore believe said human beings are uneducated, stupid, ignorant, blah, blah, BLAH!

That's PART of the problem.

Perhaps an exaggeration. Maybe not by much.
Larry Parker got me 2.1 million.

George O'Brien.net

Spiny Norman

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 2:39 pm

Zool wrote:Members who, because...

They don’t listen to music made after 1955.
They don’t watch movies made after 1942.
They don’t understand how/why other human beings don't share their likes/dislikes...

They therefore believe said human beings are uneducated, stupid, ignorant, blah, blah, BLAH!

That's PART of the problem.

Perhaps an exaggeration. Maybe not by much.
Well, Mike was suggesting the problem was a returning thing, and that we were coming into our red-tinted film phase again... which seems to have passed.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Return to Site Chat