Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm

It seems to be his official-ish headshot from the 70s or 80s? I don't know.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

wich2

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Well, I meant to run this in January, when Children of Divorce was new, but I wound up doing memorials back to back instead. It's not from Children of Divorce but it certainly captures the vivacity that makes Clara Bow one of the best-loved stars of that era. (She's been on the masthead before, but deserves a solo appearance.) Here are some threads:

Children of Divorce
Grapevine releases Hula
Capital Punishment
Mantrap
Clara Bow box sets
Clara Bow Colorizations
Does Anybody Know What Mental Disorder Clara Bow had?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Jim Roots

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 6:52 am

Love the gorgeous, adorable Clara. Thanks, Mike.

Jim

radiotelefonia

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Even though this is obviously Clara Bow, for some reason it feels more like if somebody else is doing an impersonation of her.

:mrgreen:

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm

A few years ago I ran this image with different text to mark TCM's 20th anniversary— and it is telling that it was Robert Osborne, more than any of the stars in the TCM library, who naturally stood for the best movie channel ever, the learned, gentlemanly face put forward by the network to represent its seriousness, but also its welcomingness to all who love the movies of the past.

In memoriam Robert Osborne, 1932-2017.

oldposterho

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Entirely apropos, but poor Clara can't catch a break.

R.O. struck me as a class act all the way. A real loss.

Brooksie

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 11:34 pm

An entirely appropriate change, if a melancholy one.

Speaking of Clara Bow, it was mentioned in TCM's introduction for What Price Hollywood? (1932) that the Constance Bennett role had originally been offered to Clara Bow. It would have been a fascinating piece of casting.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Hobart Bosworth, mad at Kevin Brownlow for giving away so much of Behind the Door...

Seriously, a long-lasting and imposing star/character actor (see Bob Fells' piece here) gets his role of a lifetime released by Flicker Alley this month. Here's the thread on Behind the Door, and there will be more about how this release happened in the next NitrateVille Radio podcast.

boblipton

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 4:04 am

The Eye Institute has posted at least a dozen of Bosworth's early shorts to their Youtube site.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 10:01 pm

It's not the first American serial to be featured on the masthead— The Hazards of Helen made it a couple of years back— but the thread about it shows that there's a lot of enthusiasm for Daredevils of the Red Circle, newly released by Kino, with our own Precode, Michael Schlesinger, offering commentary. But as well-made as the serial is, it would be a pale thing without the sublime villainy of Charles Middleton, whose Biblical wrath signals in dozens of movies from his first word that you are in deep trouble, as Laurel and Hardy learn in The Fixer Uppers when he's the French artist who thinks they're dallying with his wife, for example.

So here's to Daredevils of the Red Circle, and also to Prisoner 39013, Ming the Merciless, the Strangler of the Swamp, and an utterly reliable player when you needed someone with country credibility to play a prosecutor (An American Tragedy, Duck Soup and many others), a train conductor (I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang), a Chinese banker (The Good Earth), Abraham Lincoln (Stand-In and others) as well as his father (Abe Lincoln in Illinois), Jefferson Davis (Virginia City), a convict boss (Gone With the Wind), a worker's leader (The Grapes of Wrath) and more. What was he in real life? "Charlie had the meanest face I'd ever seen. In real life he was the nicest, most gentle person imaginable." —William Witney

boblipton

PostMon May 01, 2017 2:38 am

He'll always be Ming the Merciless to me.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog
Previous

Return to Site Chat