Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

CoffeeDan

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 10:17 pm

Oh no, don't tell me . . . it's Nick, Nora and . . . ASTA on the masthead this month?

Mike, you slay me . . .

boblipton

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 3:19 am

Well, it is April 1. even if Donald got in the first shot.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 6:05 am

It's rare to honor a star two months running, but having honored Asta Nielsen's groundbreaking silent work last month, this month it only seems appropriate to highlight her most beloved sound role, as the zany Swedish maid in the Thin Man movies.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

boblipton

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 6:20 am

As we all know, Wallace Beery was supposed to play the role, but he was sleeping off a bender.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Frederica

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 8:45 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Image

It's rare to honor a star two months running, but having honored Asta Nielsen's groundbreaking silent work last month, this month it only seems appropriate to highlight her most beloved sound role, as the zany Swedish maid in the Thin Man movies.

Like, like, like...
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

drednm

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 9:50 am

A Dane playing a Swede? That's quite a stretch.... Are you sure Wallace Beery wasn't set to play Sweedie the Dippy Maid in the series?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

greta de groat

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 9:56 am

Frederica wrote:

Like, like, like...
what she said!

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 10:39 pm

Okay, enough with the April Foolin', this month will be devoted to one of the noir overlooked classics that Flicker Alley is releasing this month, Woman on the Run with Ann Sheridan. It's a terrific film, impressively shot by Hal Mohr, though if I was going to name Ms. Sheridan's greatest moment on screen as a workaday Warners contract player, I know exactly what it would be— the no-nonsense waitress in a truck drivers' hangout she plays in Raoul Walsh's They Drive by Night (1940). I could only find a short bit of her great scene of bantering with randy drivers on the make, but if this isn't everything you love about prewar WB in 12 seconds, I don't know what could be:

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

boblipton

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 am

Miss Sheridan always struck me as the the sort of woman who would rise to the occasion, whatever it was. Of course, an actress is supposed to be able to look convincing when she is doing anything, and certainly Bette Davis played that sort of character. However, Miss Sheridan always seemed more involved in the moment, less concerned with saving England or getting revenge for her sister than in bussing those dishes. And a much better comedian.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 4:06 am

she also had a beautiful speaking voice.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Dean Thompson

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 8:15 am

Her singing voice was beautiful as well; her rendition of "Love Isn't Born, It's Made" in Thank Your Lucky Stars is a knockout. Great choice, Mike.

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 9:07 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Okay, enough with the April Foolin', this month will be devoted to one of the noir overlooked classics that Flicker Alley is releasing this month, Woman on the Run with Ann Sheridan. It's a terrific film...

Absolutely, but for Ann doing "grim & haggard," I still think Nora Prentiss (1947) remains unsurpassed. Woman on the Run has been shown at least twice on TCM. Both those pictures I've seen a couple of times, which is probably just about enough; what, on the other hand, I can't see often enough is the brash & buoyant Ann of, for ex., The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942), as well as in the above clip, and many others.

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 9:13 am

Dean Thompson wrote:Her singing voice was beautiful as well; her rendition of "Love Isn't Born, It's Made" in Thank Your Lucky Stars is a knockout. Great choice, Mike.

Haven't seen another picture in which she was given so many opportunities to sing as It All Came True (1940)--in which she's billed over Bogart!

bobfells

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 9:33 am

I'm sure it's just me but every time I see Ann Sheridan I can't help thinking of the sad epilogue to her life. Her cremated remains were unclaimed and for decades - literally - they were stored in a drawer with other unclaimed ones. A fan eventually came forward and arranged to inter them properly. Where were her family and her friends?

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 4:47 pm

bobfells wrote:....Where were her family and her friends?

Family and friends? She had a husband!

Spider

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Can we start an official petition to have Asta Nielsen somewhere in every masthead?

linquist

PostSun Apr 10, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks for posting Ann's picture and the movie recommendation. My wife is an avid noir watcher and did not believe there were anymore quality classic noirs that she had not seen. She watched WOMAN ON THE RUN yesterday and could not stop talking about it. She's even recommended it to other film fans who have promised to watch it. The writing, the humor, the acting and the inventiveness of Ann's work was quite impressive.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 8:59 pm

In honor of one of the latest projects to be crowdfunded by a NitrateVillain, and substantially funded by folks here, Ed Lorusso's release of Ducks and Drakes (1921), we salute the lovely star, Bebe Daniels. Daniels is an interesting case as a star, in that we can't really see many of her starring roles— I'd especially love to see her Fairbanks pastiche, Señorita, which apparently does survive but has hardly been seen— but she has a pretty good, and surprisingly wide-ranging, number of supporting roles in which she can be seen, including a ton of Harold Lloyd's early Lonesome Lukes and "glasses comedies" shorts, DeMille's Why Change Your Wife? and The Affairs of Anatol, Valentino's Monsieur Beaucaire, Rio Rita with Wheeler & Woolsey, the not-bad 1931 Maltese Falcon, Counsellor at Law with John Barrymore—and 42nd Street, where it's her broken ankle that gives Ruby Keeler a chance to go out there and come back a star.

After that came a long and happy career in British radio, of all things, after she married Ben Lyons, and this part of her career showed there was more to her than the gorgeous feather-heads she often played onscreen. Per Wikipedia:

The Lyons then did radio shows for the BBC. Most notably, they starred in the radio series Hi Gang!, continuing for decades and enjoying considerable popularity during World War II. Daniels wrote most of the dialogue for the Hi Gang radio show. The couple remained through the days of The Blitz. Following the war, Daniels was awarded the Medal of Freedom by Harry S Truman for war service. In 1945 she returned to Hollywood for a short time to work as a film producer for Hal Roach and Eagle-Lion Films. She returned to the UK in 1948 and lived there for the remainder of her life. Daniels, her husband, her son Richard and her daughter Barbara all starred in the radio sitcom Life With The Lyons (1951 to 1961), which later made the transition to television.

Quite the interesting life; I'll be glad to see her in a proper starring role with Ducks and Drakes.

drednm

PostSun May 01, 2016 10:41 am

Ben Lyon was no slouch either....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Jim Roots

PostMon May 02, 2016 6:35 am

drednm wrote:Ben Lyon was no slouch either....

Oh yeah? Have you seen his posture?

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue May 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Pretty sure that shade of mint green will be familiar from this recent discussion—which actually spans three years— of King of Jazz, newly restored and playing in at least a few theaters nationwide (it will be at the Capitol in Rome during Capitolfest in August, that's all I know).

There's also this one about the book that's coming out about it. Then there's King of Jazz-- Bela Lugosi!

It is, incidentally, the second "two-strip Technicolor" masthead. (I know some argue against that term, but it's a familiar one.)

So who is the piano player in the Rhapsody in Blue number, anyway? I thought it might actually be Gershwin, but apparently not. Anyone know?

Brooksie

PostTue May 31, 2016 9:15 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:So who is the piano player in the Rhapsody in Blue number, anyway? I thought it might actually be Gershwin, but apparently not. Anyone know?

I stand to be corrected, but I think it was Roy Bargy, who did somewhat resemble Gershwin.

Donald Binks

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 12:14 am

"And now, Ladeeez and Gentlepong.....'Rhapsody in Lime'! by that well known decomposer, Gorge Lurchpin."
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

boblipton

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 4:00 am

Brooksie wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:So who is the piano player in the Rhapsody in Blue number, anyway? I thought it might actually be Gershwin, but apparently not. Anyone know?

I stand to be corrected, but I think it was Roy Bargy, who did somewhat resemble Gershwin.

Uncertain. They announced his name and I don't recall what it was. As for the resemblance to Ira's brother George, my image of Gershwin is too strongly influenced by the Hirschfield drawing and there were no Ninas in his hair.

The story is that the entire "Rhapsody in Cyan" was pre-recorded and the entire performance was faked onscreen It's possible, I suppose, but this was part of the conversation with the guy on line who insisted that Judy Garland was doing the studio recordings for Annette Hanshawe in 1926.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

drednm

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 am

great masthead!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Richard Warner

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 am

According to Don Rayno's Paul Whiteman biography, the piano player is indeed Roy Bargy.

Daniel Eagan

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 9:49 am

He's identified as Roy Bargy in the credits

bobfells

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 12:32 pm

This may be a minority view but let me pose this question: just because the music is titled "Rhapsody in Blue," why do so many people think that the decor is supposed to be in blue? The use of the term "blue" in the title refers to a musical mood, i.e., the blues, not the color.

drednm

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 1:25 pm

bobfells wrote:This may be a minority view but let me pose this question: just because the music is titled "Rhapsody in Blue," why do so many people think that the decor is supposed to be in blue? The use of the term "blue" in the title refers to a musical mood, i.e., the blues, not the color.

and what about the Black Bottom?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

bobfells

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 2:09 pm

drednm wrote:
bobfells wrote:This may be a minority view but let me pose this question: just because the music is titled "Rhapsody in Blue," why do so many people think that the decor is supposed to be in blue? The use of the term "blue" in the title refers to a musical mood, i.e., the blues, not the color.

and what about the Black Bottom?

Exactly!
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat