Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Donald Binks

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 am

[quote="Mike Gebert"]Image

Vellcolme to the Maasthet! Good choice Mike. Lugosi Bela was a big star in Budapest before he ventured to the Americas! Unfortunately I have not been able to view any of his Hungarian films......yet.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

boblipton

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 4:52 am

It 's not surprising that Lugosi brought an immense sexual component to the role. vampirism and sexuality have long been linked, from the Burne-Jones painting to the the Kipling poem it inspired, to the Theda Bara movie based on it. Anyone who has read Stoker's book and been unaware of the undertones of non-normative sex hasn't been paying attention.
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Scoundrel

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 7:52 am

The first 8mm Castle Film I begged my mother for as a kid.

Also, the first of the SHOCK package that I remember seeing on a Saturday afternoon.

" I don't know if I should call it fortune or a curse, but DRACULA never ends ..."

Lugosi on BBC's Ship's Reporter, 12/11/1951
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

JFK

Hamilton Deane- 1st Dracula playwright

PostThu Oct 08, 2015 8:58 pm

Deane- left- denied the title role in his own play,
ImageImage instead became the first Van Helsing
Last edited by JFK on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 7:43 pm

Oops, a little late in getting to this, and not in the Technicolor of which she was the Queen, but let's honor the recently departed Maureen O'Hara in at least a hint of her dazzling red hair:

I thought she might make it to being the last 1930s star— her career began just before the decade's expiration with The Hunchback of Notre Dame— but Olivia deHavilland is now that, I think. In any case she rose quickly to being an essential 40s player, not perhaps a great actress (she was obvious enough for John Ford) but a woman whose fiery looks went well with a strong personality, and in an age when actresses all seemed to wind up wearing the same Westmore mask, her personality comes burning through publicity stills. Miracle on 34th Street, The Quiet Man, The Long Gray Line, How Green Was My Valley, The Parent Trap... and things where her red hair and figure were all the additional help a melodramatic title needed... who sums up a time and place better than Maureen O'Hara starring in things with pure WWII-era titles like Flame of Araby, Father Was a Fullback, or Immortal Sergeant?

One of her last films was for John Hughes, Only the Lonely, shot just steps from my apartment then in Chicago. I never saw her in public (ironically, tonight we see the news of the death of someone I did meet briefly then— Fred Thompson, star of Baby's Day Out)— but it was enough to know that I walked the same earth as her.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 7:48 pm

And Claire, daughter of Athos, in one of my favorite bad movies, At Sword's Point!

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Five years ago Charlie Chaplin made the masthead of NitrateVille with the release of Chaplin at Keystone; now he's back with Chaplin at Essanay, and despite my general non-repeating policy, it seems worth having him again for the sake of his costar, Edna Purviance, as they appear together in Burlesque on Carmen. There are such things as stills with her and not him in them, but really, her career was defined by her usefulness to him as the embodiment of womanhood, sometimes his romantic aim and sometimes his symbol of angelic femininity (as in The Kid). As a matter of fact, that film is coming out on blu-ray from Criterion in February, so it's a good time for her on home video.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 1:03 am

Happy New Year! I asked a lovely young lady, Mary Carlisle*, to beam this message to you from the party aboard Madam Satan's dirigible, using her two-way radiophonic helmet. Hey, is that lightning?

(Ms. Carlisle, a minor but undeniably fetching figure of 1930s films discussed here, joins the most elite group at NitrateVille— classic film era performers who are still with us. She will be 102 in February— one of the threads, in fact, is about correcting her birthdate, she's one of those youngsters who got two years added to her age at some point.)

* Apparently not; see here.

boblipton

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 5:24 am

102?! God bless. At first I thought it was a make-up test for Brigitte Helm as Maria -- let's go with less eyeliner and no eyelash extensions.

Bob
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 9:49 am

boblipton wrote:102?! God bless. At first I thought it was a make-up test for Brigitte Helm as Maria -- let's go with less eyeliner and no eyelash extensions.

Bob

I thought it was Helm also....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

entredeuxguerres

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 9:54 am

drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:102?! God bless. At first I thought it was a make-up test for Brigitte Helm as Maria -- let's go with less eyeliner and no eyelash extensions.

Bob

I thought it was Helm also....

If both of you will watch The Devil's Cabaret (1930), you won't make that mistake again.

Rob

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 8:01 pm

For years this portrait has been identified as Mary Carlisle on Google images, various Facebook forums and other online forums. Sorry, but I don't think so. Mary does have a little bit role in MADAME SATAN as "Little Bo Peep", but this shot appears to be of an unknown extra girl in MS, not Mary.

Rob McKay

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Well, damn. Great pic anyway. Happy 102, Ms. Carlisle.

entredeuxguerres

PostFri Jan 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Rob wrote:For years this portrait has been identified as Mary Carlisle on Google images...

Rob McKay

A site so overflowing with erroneous images put up God knows how, that the first thing Google should display on every page is the notice "WARNING--DON'T BE FOOLED!"

entredeuxguerres

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Rob wrote:For years this portrait has been identified as Mary Carlisle on Google images, various Facebook forums and other online forums. Sorry, but I don't think so. Mary does have a little bit role in MADAME SATAN as "Little Bo Peep", but this shot appears to be of an unknown extra girl in MS, not Mary.

Rob McKay

Very near the end of the picture, which I just watched again, there's a clear close up of Mary, dressed in what might be interpreted as an 18th C. country girl's plain frock, à la Adrian of course. She never says a word, nor is identified as Bo Peep, & certainly has no sheep, nor even a shepard's crook.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Jan 31, 2016 8:39 pm

There's talk about Napoleon coming out again in a year or so, but in the meantime there's an experimental French silent of great visual imagination which will hit the streets for certain on February 23—Marcel L'Herbier's L'Inhumaine (1924). L'Herbier, who would make The Late Matthias Pascal two years later, enlisted a number of figures from the avant-garde in painting and other arts to help create a modernist vision of a vamp tale (starring the opera singer Georgette LeBlanc; that's costar Jacque Catelain in the image, along with some kind of masked robo-butler). To be honest, I don't know much more about the film than that—it's always been one of those unseeable things you read about around the edges of film history—but that's what great about a rediscovery like that coming to us cold (even if it means my choices for masthead images are fairly few).

Here's the thread; Flicker Alley has a number of articles and a few clips here; go here to pre-order the film at 25% off.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Jan 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Yes, the masked robo-butlers are introduced early in the film. Many famous men come to see "The Inhuman Woman." They talk to each other and share their secrets. The masks worn by the waiters supposedly make them deaf to these secret conversations.

Rick

Jim Roots

PostMon Feb 01, 2016 7:04 am

Rick Lanham wrote:The masks worn by the waiters supposedly make them deaf

Rick

Damn, you folks are on to me now...

Jim

Rick Lanham

PostMon Feb 01, 2016 9:06 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Rick Lanham wrote:The masks worn by the waiters supposedly make them deaf

Rick

Damn, you folks are on to me now...

Jim

Aha, I see. We'll keep an eye on you.

The waiters still seem to perform their functions correctly, understanding requests, etc.
It's a trifle puzzling, but not the main thrust of the film. It's one of many design/artistic choices
evident in the film.

Rick

Robert Moulton

PostMon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 am

Phwew! I thought they were masked robo-LupinoLanes.

Brooksie

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Robert Moulton wrote:Phwew! I thought they were masked robo-LupinoLanes.

Any fans of Devo on this board? The robo-butlers put me in mind of Booji Boy (and just as nightmare inducing ...)

oldposterho

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 11:54 pm

Now it can be told, there's at least one fan - and also now that you mention it the similarities between Booji and the robuts are quite striking. I think the boys were art school goofs before starting the band so I suppose there's the remotest possibility there was an influence.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I've been trying to think of teens stars to honor and if you're talking European ones, the biggest star we haven't seen on the masthead yet has to be Asta Nielsen. As it happens, she's getting some exposure this month—in London; her 1921 version of Hamlet, with her in the male lead role, will be playing Sunday with a new live score (more info here). To be honest, I only know her from clips, so anyone who has seen her in entire films, feel free to comment. Some past threads:

Asta Nielsen's Hamlet, and more
More on Hamlet in the What's the Last Silent thread
Towards the Light
Asta Nielsen: The Talking Muse
"Die Börsenkönigin" (1918) By Edmund Edel
"Die Freudlose Gasse" (1925) By G. W. Pabst [also Spiritus]
Asta Nielsen complete Danish films DVD review

Ann Harding

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 10:13 am

Brilliant idea, Mike! I LOVE Asta. She is a fabulous female Hamlet and is equally at home in comedy. Her Baby Eskimo is a hoot. German Filmmuseum released two boxes of DVDs with her that I can recommend wholeheartedly:
Hamlet & Die Filmprimadonna and Four Films with Asta Nielsen. There are also four early Danish films available from Danish Film Institute including the sensuous The Abyss (1910).

Jim Roots

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Good god! I thought it was our favourite narcoleptic from Cabinet of Dr. Caligari!

Jim

greta de groat

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 11:03 am

Ann Harding wrote:Brilliant idea, Mike! I LOVE Asta. She is a fabulous female Hamlet and is equally at home in comedy. Her Baby Eskimo is a hoot. German Filmmuseum released two boxes of DVDs with her that I can recommend wholeheartedly:
Hamlet & Die Filmprimadonna and Four Films with Asta Nielsen. There are also four early Danish films available from Danish Film Institute including the sensuous The Abyss (1910).

Agreed, Asta is fabulous. I love HAMLET, even if I refer to it as the worlds wackiest version of the play (the ending had me rolling on the floor). But she's never less than fascinating, even when the film is a stiff.

Gretea
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Jim Gettys

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 9:27 pm

In the masthead photo, Nielsen resembles (sort of) another famous Danish Girl, but Eddie Redmayne is cuter.

Jim Gettys

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Oh, I think she'd fit in on any college campus, especially in that Goth getup. Here's exactly my reaction:

greta de groat

PostThu Mar 03, 2016 12:43 am

Jim Gettys wrote:In the masthead photo, Nielsen resembles (sort of) another famous Danish Girl, but Eddie Redmayne is cuter.

Jim Gettys

I'd love to see the rest of ERDGEIST, but in the clip on youTube she does look rather like a man in drag.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

telical

PostFri Mar 11, 2016 10:18 pm

I use my laptop in cafes a lot and often I'm seated next to people. This masthead and the second to last one before have been a little on the weird side. I don't want to know what people might think of this current month's picture and whatever Nitrateville might mean :D (an addiction to dangerous food additives? kind of looks like it from the image)
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat