Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

JFK

Mabel Normand on Gallery of Mastheads

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Last edited by JFK on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 pm

I'm not big on Wallace Beery as a sound star, even if I admit he can be highly effective (The Champ works you over, no question), but 2017 has turned out to be a great year for Wallace Beery the silent villain, with Behind the Door and now William Wellman's crackling, gritty hobo tale Beggars of Life, which will be out from Kino on August 22, while Thomas Gladysz's informative monograph is already available. (Listen for more about both on NitrateVille Radio shortly.) There's kind of no way to salute him in that without also showing Richard Arlen and Louise Brooks, even though both have been on the masthead before—but I think Beery dominates, as he always did.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

boblipton

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 4:39 am

Well, you could have gone for a shot of him as Sweedie, but this is good too.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Hamilton's Grandson

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Another good one would also be Slugger Rourke, the character he played in Dynamite Smith 1924. Although a lost film, many stills are still out there.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

silentfilm

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:19 am

Here he is (out of his baseball uniform) in Casey at the Bat (1927).

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Jerry Lewis died today at 91. Lots of people will make jokes about the French loving him. You know where else they loved him? 1950s and 1960s America; Lewis or Martin & Lewis were on the top ten moneymakers poll of theater owners every year but one from 1951 to 1963. So enough with the jokes, we're talking serious comedy here.

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm

NitrateVillains Bob Furmanek and Jack Theakston of 3-D Film Archive are being feted with a 3-D series at the Museum of Modern Art starting September 1st, as you know if you've heard the latest NitrateVille Radio. They've also released about a dozen 3-D releases on blu-ray—including the one on the masthead this month.

So here's the cast of It Came From Outer Space (Barbara Rush, Richard Carlson, Charles Drake and Kathleen Hughes) reacting to a giant NitrateVille logo which, if you happen to have red-blue glasses handy, will indeed pop from the screen, inducing terror in all who see it. (Don't have the glasses? I recommend this 3-D glasses supplier, who I used for a 3-D promo some years ago, as well as getting my solar eclipse shades from them recently.)

That said, I should point out that red-blue is anaglyphic 3-D, and the restorations by 3-D Film Archive are all in the superior polarized 3-D process, which allows for full color and a more convincingly effect generally. (But you've listened to the podcast, so you already know that...)

This one might be a little hard to look at for a whole month, so I may switch it to "flat" after a week or so. But it will live forever here.

boblipton

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 4:26 am

No matter how often I see that shot, or ones like it, I think that Glen Manning has grown so immense that his clothes have split and his nether regions are exposed.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

silentfilm

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 11:07 am

This is the best masthead yet! Keep the 3-D version.

Brooksie

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Wow, it works! 8)
Previous

Return to Site Chat