Wow I'm Stoked!

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

silentscreen

Wow I'm Stoked!

PostWed Jul 22, 2009 11:40 am

I never win much of anything so when I do... Just won a copy of Richard Barthelmess: A Life in Pictures off the Midnight Palace site. This is the first bio written of a fine, virtually forgotten actor that made a successful transition from silents to talkies. I really don't know much about him, so this will fill in the gaps. The author, David Menefee, is from Dallas too. I'm really interested in his Griffith period and the filming of "Broken Blossoms" and the formation of Inspiration pictures. Also interested in what it has to say about Ronald Colman, my favorite classic actor as they were good friends.
"Relax, Georgie, I'm just making my collar and cuffs match." Carole Lombard

myrnaloyisdope

PostSat Jul 25, 2009 2:49 am

Heh, very cool.

I like Barthelmess quite a bit. The Last Flight and Heroes For Sale are 2 of the great forgotten films of any era. I'd love to see more of his Warner's work.

Harlett O'Dowd

Re: Wow I'm Stoked!

PostThu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 am

silentscreen wrote:I never win much of anything so when I do... Just won a copy of Richard Barthelmess: A Life in Pictures off the Midnight Palace site. This is the first bio written of a fine, virtually forgotten actor that made a successful transition from silents to talkies. I really don't know much about him, so this will fill in the gaps. The author, David Menefee, is from Dallas too. I'm really interested in his Griffith period and the filming of "Broken Blossoms" and the formation of Inspiration pictures. Also interested in what it has to say about Ronald Colman, my favorite classic actor as they were good friends.

let me know how info/photos they have from The Fighting Blade.

silentscreen

Re: Wow I'm Stoked!

PostThu Jul 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
silentscreen wrote:I never win much of anything so when I do... Just won a copy of Richard Barthelmess: A Life in Pictures off the Midnight Palace site. This is the first bio written of a fine, virtually forgotten actor that made a successful transition from silents to talkies. I really don't know much about him, so this will fill in the gaps. The author, David Menefee, is from Dallas too. I'm really interested in his Griffith period and the filming of "Broken Blossoms" and the formation of Inspiration pictures. Also interested in what it has to say about Ronald Colman, my favorite classic actor as they were good friends.

let me know how info/photos they have from The Fighting Blade.

Will do! It's been eight days since I found out from the admin that I won a copy. I'm not sure if it's coming from Bear Manor or if he has some copies himself. He's promoted the book heavily on his site.

http://www.midnightpalace.com/ Scroll all the way down.
"Relax, Georgie, I'm just making my collar and cuffs match." Carole Lombard

Return to Site Chat