Thanks for Nitrateville

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Native Baltimoron

Thanks for Nitrateville

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 6:37 am

The following statement was posted by Gary Johnson yesterday on a site dealing with movies. I post it here because it mentions Nitrateville. You decide whether this is valid or a cheap shot, "why all of the hand-wringing from some of those weasels over at N-trateville whenever Richard, Waverboy (nice name) or anyone else creates a good healthy discussion about film? A passionate argument is made and suddenly their hearts start pounding and the entire thread is threatened to be shut down. I always enjoy when a dispute erupts. It reminds me of the halcyon days of Alt-Silent when verbal abuse was king." If you ever look at this site, the name escapes me, you never expect these guys to act like charm school graduates; many like Gary Johnson fancy themselves as "bomb throwers", anarchists, and iconoclasts who supposedly make life so interesting for the rest of us bland types. Isn't it great how Gary would have us seem invalid, cardiac patients while his roundtable slays dragons in search of the Holy Grail; the perfect Chaplin film run at the perfect speed! Gary, get off of it! Some us are concerned with more mundane things; What did you think of Lon Chaney's performance in "The Penalty", What kind of car did Roscoe Arbuckle drive, Did Charley Chase's brother, Jimmy Parrott, have a seizure disorder.
I, for one, am grateful for Nitrateville, and its considerate ways. A lot of us deal with malcontents in our day to day jobs. We don't need it when we pursue our pleasures. So, Gary, throw the bombs at the other place. We don't need the days "when verbal abuse was king." Being polite or considerate isn't the sin you think it is. A measured discussion can do the job just as well.
Native Baltimoron
"You too, Uncle Fudd" William Phipps to Bert Mustin in "The FBI Story"

boblipton

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 am

I also enjoy the site -- I learn a tremendous amount here and get to crack some jokes. Yes, Mike and the other people who manage the place are concerned about civility, and that is a reasonable concern. Sometimes it astonishes me that the people here sometimes forget that we are all on the same side -- we just disagree on how best to go about things.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 8:20 am

I wrote about a dozen articles for Gary's webiste. For the most part he was pleasant but toward the end his job worries (my guess) caused some erratic behavior.

Why he's taking swipes at other boards is anyone's guess.

Nitrateville is by far the most civil and informative of the boards I've participated in.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 9:03 am

I asked the PR department to issue a statement:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yZymBti7700? fs=1&start=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yZymBti7700? fs=1&start=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Arndt

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 am

I really enjoy Nitrateville. I feel privileged to be in the company of people who know so much more about classic films than I do, are very generous with their knowledge, are as passionate about films as I am and have a wicked sense of humour.
Passions can run high - and so they should sometimes - but not to the point where people are disrespected. Therefore I'm glad that Mike and the other moderators take a no-nonsense approach to that side of things.
With Nitrateville you have created a thoroughly nice place for film buffs to hang out. Thank you, Mike!
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

gjohnson

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 3:49 pm

drednm wrote:I wrote about a dozen articles for Gary's webiste. For the most part he was pleasant but toward the end his job worries (my guess) caused some erratic behavior.

Tain't me MaGee.
I don't own any website.

I'm just a passionate observer.

Gary J. (Better work on that research)

Rob Farr

PostFri Nov 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Oh come on Gary. You're just being modest. I pulled down over $18,000 in revenue working through Gary's site last year. Not enough to live on, but enough to keep me in Blu-rays.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

Return to Site Chat