The Microscope Mystery 1916 Print Available

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Hamilton's Grandson

The Microscope Mystery 1916 Print Available

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am

I see that " The Microscope Mystery (1916)" is available for purchase on ebay for the next 2 days via auction. Only 3 reels of 35 mm nitrate are available for purchase. AFI says that there were 5 reels originally. UCLA has 1 reel in their archives that is "not accessible". Looks like the reels are in good shape based on the photos. Is there public interest in viewing restorations of incomplete films?

Dana

boblipton

Re: The Microscope Mystery 1916 Print Available

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:22 am

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:I see that " The Microscope Mystery (1916)" is available for purchase on ebay for the next 2 days via auction. Only 3 reels of 35 mm nitrate are available for purchase. AFI says that there were 5 reels originally. UCLA has 1 reel in their archives that is "not accessible". Looks like the reels are in good shape based on the photos. Is there public interest in viewing restorations of incomplete films?

Dana

I would say it depends on the material. At Slapsticon one year, there was enormous pleasure in one of the "Rob Stone Rareties" that was one reel of one of the two-reel comedies he did for Broncho Billy Anderson.

I just checked and it was When Knights Were Cold and one reel of it played Arlington in 2010.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Well maybe if reel 1,2 and 5 still exist , reels 3 and 4 will show up. If one of the 2 missing reels is what UCLA has and not a duplicate of any of these that exist than perhaps enough material is available to put together a near full length film. Interesting opportunity.

goldenband

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

Exciting stuff! If UCLA has one of the other reels, that would turn this from a mostly-lost film to an almost-complete film. I hope this ends up in the hands of someone who can find some way to preserve it; I'd certainly be very interested in seeing the result.

MaryGH

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Wow what a find!

It would be nice if it was preserved properly I'd be interested in seeing it.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/ ... ent-films/

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Actually, UCLA has reel #1 and reel #'s 2,3, and 5 are in the public domain. So, reel 1 is incomplete and missing opening title credits and reel 4 has unknown whereabouts to date. I am sure a pretty good version of the original film could be put together with 4 nearly complete reels if there is anyway to access what UCLA has. Of course, their 35mm nitrate print says "inaccessible" at the moment. There is not a lot of Constance Talmadge films out there when you look at her entire filmography by 1929.

MaryGH

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:Actually, UCLA has reel #1 and reel #'s 2,3, and 5 are in the public domain. So, reel 1 is incomplete and missing opening title credits and reel 4 has unknown whereabouts to date. I am sure a pretty good version of the original film could be put together with 4 nearly complete reels if there is anyway to access what UCLA has. Of course, their 35mm nitrate print says "inaccessible" at the moment. There is not a lot of Constance Talmadge films out there when you look at her entire filmography by 1929.

I wonder if any of Constance's films wound up in the hands of private collectors in CT. Her father was born in Plainville (quite literally next door to Bristol, CT where I was born and raised) and her grandparents lived in Burlington (again next door but to my town's immediate north). So as a child I was familiar with the names Constance and Norma Talmadge.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/ ... ent-films/

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm

This film (the 3 reels known to exist in public domain) was available via consignment from Texas and I did purchase the reels yesterday. I am having the 3 reels transferred to digital media from the original print so will see what can be done to allow for the public to view eventually. Constance has very few films available that are not lost. The opening reel is at UCLA so unsure how one can view this reel if their catalog says "inaccessible" and may not yet be on digital media.

The Dove 1927, that Norma is in, is missing 4 of 8 reels at LOC and I want to see how they preserved the nitrate print when I am in DC in June. I uploaded a few stills to IMDB of my grandfather who has a small part in this film so hopefully the existing reels will have him on them at LOC.

Dana

goldenband

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks for all your efforts in preserving what remains of this film. :)

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 pm

Well worth the investment to try and save this film before or turns into dust.

Thanks!

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 am

I just received the high def transfer of the 3 reels from the recently discovered film "The Microscope Mystery" 1916 and also blue ray dvd transfers of the video files. It took Debenham Group @ 3 weeks and after watching the 3 out of 5 reels, it is obvious to me that without the 1st reel that UCLA archives has, there may be a lot of editing to establish the plot since I only have reels 2,3, and 5 of the 5 total reels. I plan on meeting with the UCLA folks this summer to see if they are interested in digitizing reel 1. Maybe reel 4 will show up soon and make this a complete film.

pookybear

PostMon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Great to hear you got these reels already digitally copied. Who did you use for the work? And are you please with the results?

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon May 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi Pookybear,

As mentioned in previous posts, I use Debenham Media Group near Pittsbugh, PA. Their website is: mymovietransfer.com. I used them last year on 5 short reels that Mark Hamilton was in and was impressed by the clarity and the speed options. I usually do a 1080 dpi at 16 and 24 fps so as to have both speeds. They do a lot of 8 and 16 mm transfers and have a great Ultra High Definition Rank Cintel Scanner that is not affected by 35 mm nitrate film material with broken sprockets or splices as Cintel is not like a typical projector. They do a two pass cleaning and then the transfer is put on hard drive and either DVD-R or Blue Ray or all 3 if desired.

pookybear

PostTue May 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank you for the information.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed May 03, 2017 10:55 pm

Actually got some feedback from Todd Wiener at UCLA archives last week. They are researching the condition of reel 1 in their archives. Stay tuned. The film features a 16 year old Constance Talmadge and Monte Blue who had only been in Hollywood since 1915 when this film was produced in 1916.

Mark Zimmer

PostMon May 08, 2017 10:44 am

Excellent. Please keep at it.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon May 15, 2017 7:33 pm

I heard from Steven Hill at UCLA (Santa Clarita Nitrate vault facility) and at least they are interested in discussing Microscope Mystery with me. Will see where this leads to on getting the film to public's eye.

They recently restored "Good References" 1920 with Constance Talmadge and showed the film in March 2017 at Billy Wilder Theater with a few other titles. This 1920 film was from nitrate stock from the film archives in Prague. Hard to believe most of Microsope Mystery that survives came from someone in Texas. Point I am making,.........lost nitrate is still out there even in US we just have to find it before it turns to a sticky mess and can't be saved.

Return to Collecting and Preservation