CLEAR THE DECKS-1929

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Hamilton's Grandson

CLEAR THE DECKS-1929

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 12:28 am

I picked up the 16 mm silent version of this "Lost Film" from a seller in Quebec. The LOC lost film list has this title as lost as of 1/5/17, but then I read somewhere else online (Steve Leggett via the LOC Silent Film Collector's Project?) that LOC has this title in their archives and are restoring or transfering it with several others as of 11/17.

Does anyone know any details on whether LOC is in the process of digitizing Clear the Decks 1929?

Reginald Denny and Lucien Littlefield
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

emevans

Re: CLEAR THE DECKS-1929

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 am

Wow! This is so exciting! I’m a huge Reginald Denny fan! Thank you so much for sharing these stills. Are you considering digitizing this movie? That would be awesome!

Hamilton's Grandson

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi emevans,

Actually these stills except for the lobby card are snip tooled from my laptop from the DVD-R transfer that Debenham Media did for me last month. The film was missing the second reel and the very ending @ 2 minutes, but otherwise is complete. So the film is not lost any longer contrary to the 1/5/17 list of lost films on LOC site although not sure if second reel is found.

I am trying to see if the entire version is at LOC as a facebook page mentioned that it was one of the titles in the Silent Film Project 2017 at LOC waiting to be digitized..?

Glad to hear there are other Denny fans out there.

Dana

Javier

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Perhaps someone will be willing to help you put it out there on video, and fill in the gaps with intertitles for what it's missing?
Thanks for sharing this, I am a Reginald Denny Fan Myself as well. Was this available as a silent/hybrid sound picture, that you know of?
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 am

I haven't heard from LOC if they have any sound portion of this film or if their print is 16 or 35 mm. The 5 of 6 reels that I acquired are completely silent on 16 mm and appeared to be in their original film cans with can 2 empty.

I may make the plunge this year and post some of the films I have on Disc on YT, but haven't reached that mind set yet.

The sound version may have had very few portions of the film with sound using a fox movietone sound system and very crude compared to post -1929 films with sound throughout.

emevans

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 10:11 am

Thank you so much for your response! Please keep us updated on any new developments!

Return to Collecting and Preservation