3-D Film Archive

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Bob Furmanek

Re: 3-D Film Archive/One Film a Month

PostThu Jul 12, 2012 9:34 pm

realist wrote:Bob,
It would be great if you could showcase one 3D film per month and go into the production history and restoration that has taken place since the Golden Days of the 1950's. I still remember how thrilling it was to be part of the audience at the 3D Expo in Hollywood and hear a true stereophonic soundtrack for "It Came from Outer Space." Also, I never thought I would see the Nat King Cole short in 3D.
Thanks,
Bill

That's a good suggestion, Bill. We're going to be updating the site from time to time with new research and information on the Golden Age titles. I appreciate your interest.

We've added some comic book covers to Myth #1 which may explain why nearly 60 years later, some people confuse anaglyph comics with the movies.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/top-10-3-d-myths

realist

Re: 3-D Film Archive/Stereo Soundtracks

PostThu Jul 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Bob, Can you shed a little light on Stereophonic sound and it's use with 3D films in the 1950's? What films had a stereo soundtrack?
Thanks,
Bill

Bob Furmanek

Re: 3-D Film Archive

PostTue Oct 02, 2012 9:19 pm

"The History of 3-D Comic Books" article is now on our website. Check it out and please share with your friends. Enjoy!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/image ... omic-books" target="_blank"

Richard Finegan

PostWed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 pm

EXCELLENT article Bob!
Thanks for the link.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Thank you very much Rich, glad you enjoyed it!

Here's another before/after example showing our anaglyph restoration technique for those wonderful 3-D comic books. Don't forget to place the blue lens over your right eye. If you'd like to see more, check out the new article on our website: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/image ... omic-books" target="_blank

Bob Furmanek

PostThu Oct 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Our new article is now on the website. We present our review of the new DIAL M FOR MURDER Blu-ray plus the background and history on this landmark 3-D production. We also clear up a few long-standing myths along the way!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/dial-m-blu-ray-review

Greg Kintz and I hope you will enjoy it.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 10:10 am

I'll be a guest on Hollywood Time Machine with Alicia Mayer tomorrow at 6:00, EST. I'm looking forward to sharing some stories of our 3-D restoration work.

http://www.aliciamayershow.com/guests-a ... 22nd-show/

Bob Furmanek

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Happy New Year from Greg Kintz, Jack Theakston and Bob Furmanek of the 3-D Film Archive.

2014 was a great year for the Archive. We were honored to have our restoration of THE BUBBLE premiered in New York City on November 7 at the Museum of Modern Art as part of “To Save and Project: the 12th MoMA International Festival of Film Preservation.”

Our first two releases on 3-D blu-ray – DRAGONFLY SQUADRON from Olive Films and THE BUBBLE from Kino-Lorber – were a great success and have opened many doors for us. As a result, 2015 will be the best year yet for vintage 3-D on blu-ray as we celebrate the centennial of stereoscopic motion pictures.

We begin the New Year with big-screen premieres of THE BUBBLE in Los Angeles at the Aero Theatre on January 22 and Chicago at the Gene Siskel Film Center on January 30. THE BUBBLE will also return to MoMA in New York for a full week beginning January 18.

Our next restoration project will begin in February. We’ll be working with the Toronto International Film Festival on preserving THE MASK, a classic 1961 horror film with incredible 3-D sequences originally conceived by Slavko Vorkapich.

The first documented exhibition of stereoscopic motion pictures took place on June 10, 1915 at the Astor Theatre on Times Square in New York. The 100th anniversary celebration will begin with our release of 3-D RARITIES from Flicker Alley in June. This amazing collection has taken thirty years to amass and will include 2-1/2 hours of shorts, tests and trailers dating back to the earliest extant stereoscopic footage from 1922. You’ll be seeing some incredibly rare material that has not been shown anywhere in more than sixty years. Meticulously restored shot by shot for flawless 3-D alignment, this unique archival material has never before looked this good.

Starting in the fall, there will be a steady stream of vintage 3-D releases on blu-ray. I’m not at liberty to announce the titles just yet but rest assured: there will be some amazing Golden Age gems coming to 3-D blu-ray in the near future. It’s all very exciting and we could not be happier.

Here’s a photo of Greg and I with an original 24-inch 35mm reel used for projecting 3-D films theatrically in 1953. In fact, that reel holds part one of the left side of a feature that we will soon be restoring…

Thank you very much for your interest, encouragement and support of our 3-D preservation efforts. Greg, Jack and I wish you peace, happiness, and abundant good health in 2015.

Last edited by Bob Furmanek on Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald Binks

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Forgive me for being a bit of a dill. I don't have a Blue Ray Machine - but if I did have one and bought a disc that had a 3D film on it. How do I see the three dimensions on my TV? Do I need to buy special glasses?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Bob Furmanek

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 5:10 pm

You would need a 3-D display and a 3-D capable blu-ray player. There are active and passive systems which use different glasses. Active offers higher resolution and passive has better cancellation properties so there is less crosstalk/ghosting.

I hope that helps!

Donald Binks

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Bob Furmanek wrote:You would need a 3-D display and a 3-D capable blu-ray player. There are active and passive systems which use different glasses. Active offers higher resolution and passive has better cancellation properties so there is less crosstalk/ghosting.

I hope that helps!

Thank you for this - I presume when you say I need a "3-D Display" that I would need one of those new 3D television sets rather than the ordinary HD one I have already got?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Bob Furmanek

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 5:41 pm

Yes, the display or television must have 3-D capability.

Donald Binks

PostThu Jan 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Bob Furmanek wrote:Yes, the display or television must have 3-D capability.

Thanks for that. Looks as though I will have to wait awhile - until I win the Lotto - or have to replace the current TV set (whichever happens sooner :D )
Regards from
Donald Binks

Christopher Jacobs

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 9:29 am

Donald Binks wrote:
Bob Furmanek wrote:Yes, the display or television must have 3-D capability.

Thanks for that. Looks as though I will have to wait awhile - until I win the Lotto - or have to replace the current TV set (whichever happens sooner :D )

You can also get an HD projector with 3-D capability, but when viewed through the polaroid glasses the picture is typically a bit darker than watching on a 3-D TV set (or a theatrical 3-D projected image). If you can see in 3-D, then most 3-D movies are a lot of fun to watch that way, especially the ones from the 1950s and 60s.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Jan 02, 2015 10:43 am

I agree, Christopher. If a movie is designed and composed for 3-D, that's how it should be seen. Would you watch THE ROBE in pan and scan or ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD in black and white?

For decades, the horrible red/blue anaglyphic conversions created in the 1970's were the only way to see certain titles. Thankfully, the 3-D display technology is now giving us the opportunity to see 3-D films as they were originally shown theatrically in 1953/54.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 am

Don't be frightened; if all goes according to schedule, 3-D RARITIES will be available to pre-order from Flicker Alley on March 31!

Bob Furmanek

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 2:22 pm

We're sorry to spoil the moment, but special pre-orders with a discounted price for 3-D RARITIES should be available within 24 hours.

Stand by for updates!

Bob Furmanek

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 pm

We are very proud to announce pre-orders for 3-D RARITIES!

It has taken more than 30 years to locate the eye-popping stereoscopic treasures found within this set. The amazing archival material dates back to the earliest extant 3-D footage from 1922.

The release date is June 16 but if you order now through Flicker Alley, you’ll get a special discounted price. Don’t delay!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/3-d-rarities

SilentsPlease

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 6:03 pm

I've already seen "The Bubble 3D" and "Dragonfly Squadron 3D" on your Blu-rays, and I'll be looking forward to "3D Rarities". That is mainly because I already have a 3D Blu-ray setup. For those who don't have such a setup, I'm afraid these discs, as wonderful as they are, won't make them go get one. As you know, the 3D phenomenon brought on by "Avatar" a few years ago is all but dead, sadly. I love the format and have done my part in supporting the format by buying lots of 3D Blu-rays. But the eye strain, the discomfort in wearing the glasses, the lackluster 3D quality in some titles, and, of course, the high cost were all reasons why the public rejected it. Sadly, if you had released these Blu-rays just a couple of years earlier, you would've done much better business. But as I said, I'll be buying your 3D titles for sure. This is the kind of endeavors I love to support, mainly for historical significance.

Btw, Bob, would your website be able to showcase some sample 3D photos and video clips of your work? Here is a site that showcases 3D photos and videos. I know not many people have the ability to view 3D material on their PCs (although I do), but not many people can view 3D Blu-rays either. So you might as well do it for the few who have 3D setup, because I would love to see them.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi Bob, as I said, I'll be buying your Blu-rays to support your work. But I gotta say, and this is not a knock on your work, but on 3D picture in general, one of the reasons why the public rejected it. 3D looks best on a big theatrical screen, but when you view it at home on a much smaller screen (even 40-50" ones), it is like you LOOK THROUGH A DOLLHOUSE. Everything looks miniaturized. With 2D, you don't get that feeling because the lack of 3D actually makes it easy it for you to "make-believe" that you are watching life-size people and landscapes. But the 3D effect, which supposedly makes things life-like, simply makes you more aware of the small sizes of the people and objects. This is the painful truth I came to realize after I invested on a 3D home setup: 3D only makes things life-like if the picture is LIFE-SIZE, or greater than life-size, like what you see in a theater. On a small home TV screen, the reduced picture size coupled with the presence of three-dimensionality only make you feel like you are looking at people and objects who are a few inches tall. This is one of the reasons why 3D failed to impress the public.

Donald Binks

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:Hi Bob, as I said, I'll be buying your Blu-rays to support your work. But I gotta say, and this is not a knock on your work, but on 3D picture in general, one of the reasons why the public rejected it. 3D looks best on a big theatrical screen, but when you view it at home on a much smaller screen (even 40-50" ones), it is like you LOOK THROUGH A DOLLHOUSE. Everything looks miniaturized. With 2D, you don't get that feeling because the lack of 3D actually makes it easy it for you to "make-believe" that you are watching life-size people and landscapes. But the 3D effect, which supposedly makes things life-like, simply makes you more aware of the small sizes of the people and objects. This is the painful truth I came to realize after I invested on a 3D home setup: 3D only makes things life-like if the picture is LIFE-SIZE, or greater than life-size, like what you see in a theater. On a small home TV screen, the reduced picture size coupled with the presence of three-dimensionality only make you feel like you are looking at people and objects who are a few inches tall. This is one of the reasons why 3D failed to impress the public.

I saw 3D television in Japan a few years back when it first came out. I wasn't very impressed with it. For one thing it appeared that not everything was in 3D, only certain objects in the foreground - everything else looked 2D. After 20 minutes I had had enough - and it is good that I had stopped when I did as I felt slightly giddy after taking the glasses off.

I read some time back - I think it was about the Dutch firm Phillips - who had developed a 3D television that didn't require one to wear glasses - there was something in the way things were arranged on the screen that created the 3D effect. I haven't heard anything more about it and can only presume that it was just in the experimental stage and died the death when the idea of 3D television went down the plughole.
Regards from
Donald Binks

realist

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 10:29 pm

"I've already seen "The Bubble 3D" and "Dragonfly Squadron 3D" on your Blu-rays, and I'll be looking forward to "3D Rarities". That is mainly because I already have a 3D Blu-ray setup. For those who don't have such a setup, I'm afraid these discs, as wonderful as they are, won't make them go get one. As you know, the 3D phenomenon brought on by "Avatar" a few years ago is all but dead, sadly. I love the format and have done my part in supporting the format by buying lots of 3D Blu-rays. But the eye strain, the discomfort in wearing the glasses, the lackluster 3D quality in some titles, and, of course, the high cost were all reasons why the public rejected it. Sadly, if you had released these Blu-rays just a couple of years earlier, you would've done much better business. But as I said, I'll be buying your 3D titles for sure. This is the kind of endeavors I love to support, mainly for historical significance."

I don't understand why people post "commentaries" like this. We should be trying to support Bob's efforts, not discouraging others from buying these rare discs.
If you want to do 3D right, get a modern projector (check out Projector Central for reviews) that is 3D capable (less than $750). Purchase a pull down screen (or paint a wall white) You can find a variety of 3D shutter glasses (with improved lenses (little to no eye strain) for $25-40 each. A 3D Blu ray player can be bought for less than $80.00 You will have life size 3D images in your living room or rec room. You will not regret getting a projector that you can use for Netflix streaming, Warner Instant Archive streaming, blu-rays, and dvds. A movie theater in your house for less than $1200! Just my two cents. Bill

Jim Reid

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 11:43 pm

I don't know where Silentsplease is located, but if it's Indiana I understand that last post. There's someone on the 16mmfilmtalk forum who's been badmouthing 3D and Bob's excellent work for a while.

Even if it's not the man from Indiana, it's still a crock. These 3D blu-rays are beautiful and the 3D effects have never looked better. As the other gentleman posted, setting up a 3D projector is definately the way to go. I recently watched The Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D and the effect of the bubbles in the underwater scenes was astounding!

Bob Furmanek

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 5:58 am

Thank you Bill and Jim, we're doing quite well and the rumors of vintage 3-D fading away on Blu-ray are greatly exaggerated. There are a number of VERY exciting restorations in the pipeline!

If you're in the New York area, our world premiere of 3-D RARITIES will take place on June 13 at MoMA and if you stick around for the next show (separate admission) you'll get to see HONDO for the first time in New York in 3-D since February 1954.

Flicker Alley also has a page for discounted pre-orders: http://www.flickeralley.com/classic-mov ... y=12445053

SilentsPlease

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 9:11 am

Bill & Jim, didn't I just say I supported Bob's work?? I merely pointed out that the 3D fad had died, which is a fact. Is you two's reading comprehension so poor that you confuse pointing out an industry phenomenon with criticizing someone's restoration work??

What's the use of having a home 3D setup if there is barely enough 3D content to see?? No TV stations broadcast 3D, and fewer and fewer 3D films and 3D Blu-rays are made. Some 3D Blu-rays have already gone out of print! Not to mention, the uncertainty of 3D hardware support and availability now that the industry has moved away from 3D. And here you are advising people to blow thousands of dollars on something that will go the way of laserdiscs and HD DVDs sooner than you think???

Jim Reid

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Look, Mr. Silentsplease or whatever your name is. My reading comprehension is just fine. It's you who is living this fantasy where 3D has died and is unavailable. Go to Amazon right now and you'll find a large section of 3D blu-rays and go into any electronics store....even in Indiana, and you will find a large selection of 3D TVs and 3D Blu-ray players. You might even find 3D projectors in some of the higher end stores. There's plenty of them available on line.

Find another hobby, please.

syd

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 9:41 am

I am going to buy a copy of 3-D Rarities, Kiss Me, Kate, and a few other titles because I respect the
level of work done by Bob Furmanek. I don't believe Mr. Furmanek believes he will be the next Bill Gates
by doing the work he does so it has to be a labor of love by a large measure. His search for proper prints
and utilization of breakthrough digital technology to show these films better than how they were shown
originally deserves tremendous praise.

As far a 3-D since Avatar, if it has indeed died then it is due to those in the movie industry taking shortcuts
in the production and, especially, post-production phase. A lot of those post-Avatar films were shot with
one camera and converted to 3-D in post. IMHO, that is not true 3-D and is more akin to a medicine show
mountebank promising a cure but giving you flavored water.

Kudos, Bob.

Bob Furmanek

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 10:31 am

Thank you very much, Syd!

Greg Kintz deserves all the credit for the magnificent restoration work. I locate the footage and he makes it shine.

Some of the films in 3-D RARITIES were preserved just in time. Several 35mm master elements have severe shrinkage and are rapidly deteriorating with vinegar syndrome. (We discuss these issues in the liner notes.) We did 4K wet-gate scans and eventually will output back to 35mm polyester stock for long-term preservation.

I began trying to sell this material for 3-D Blu-ray release when 3-D displays were first introduced. Nobody was willing to take a chance and it was a classic chicken-or-egg situation. Finally, one by one, distributors began to take notice. Our hats are off to Bret Wood at Kino and Frank Tarzi for rolling the dice. The gamble paid off and now we are busier than ever with half a dozen 3-D feature restorations in the pipeline.

Our primary goal is to save and restore the material. Then - maybe - with a little bit of luck and support, we'll actually break even.

But if anyone thinks we're getting rich doing this, I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn!
Last edited by Bob Furmanek on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Jacobs

PostFri Apr 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks for the 3-D updates! Looking forward to seeing more forgotten vintage 3-D films on 3-D Blu-ray!

When 3-D TV sets were introduced, I considered them an expensive toy for wealthy technophiles, since there was very little I'd ever want to watch that was available. Soon, of course, numerous new 3-D movies started coming out on 3-D Blu-ray but again rarely something I'd want to see more than once (and would normally watch that in a theatre). It wasn't until a few of the 1950s classics started showing up on 3-D Blu-rays, and 3-D projectors had dropped to the price that regular HD projectors had been a few years earlier when I finally invested in a 3-D Blu-ray player, projector, and glasses. The first 3-D movies I watched at home in 3-D were the classic CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, Werner Herzog's documentary CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS, Spielberg's animated ADVENTURES OF TIN-TIN, and Hitchcock's DIAL M FOR MURDER. Movies made in 3-D and specifically designed for 3-D are far more effective as well as more fun to watch in 3-D than in 2-D. Most recently I watched Jean-Luc Godard's GOODBYE TO LANGUAGE in 3-D, a movie that simply is not the same experience without the 3-D and in fact only of minor interest without the 3-D, whereas viewed in 3-D the fresh, unexpected and experimental uses of both stereoscopic photography and stereophonic sound keeps it consistently engrossing.

As for "blowing thousands of dollars" on a system that may soon be obsolete, the actual cost difference between a 3-D Blu-ray player and a standard one, between a 3-D HD projector and a standard HD projector, plus getting a few pairs of 3-D glasses is relatively minimal. Any 3-D player and projector is perfectly capable of running standard Blu-rays and standard DVDs, and as I never get tired of repeating for the benefit of those who prefer to stream movies on phones, tablets, laptops, and TV sets, and/or suffer through blurry bootleg DVDs, ALL movies that were made for theatrical exhibition (that is, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM), were originally intended and specifically designed to be seen on a large screen with a high-quality image, and they all lose a substantial amount of dramatic impact and simple enjoyment when viewed any other way! A few thousand dollars for Blu-ray player, full-HD projector, stereo sound system, and wall-size screen is a minimal expense to any cinephile who spends the same to travel to conventions or festivals to watch films once, and if one does not already have a projection setup, then getting one that is 3-D compatible is such a minor increase over one that isn't that it's a no-brainer, even if there are only a half-dozen 3-D movies you might want to watch.

In any case a decent projection setup, 3-D or 2-D, is still well within the cost range of buying any extra-large-screen HDTV set, yet the image can take up an entire wall instead of just a 60 to 80-inch diagonal, with the ability to keep a constant screen height so widescreen movies can be zoomed out to be actual widescreen instead of shrunken down to fit whatever size TV set you're stuck with. (Now let's start talking 4K vs. 2K!)

Bob Furmanek

PostSat Apr 11, 2015 12:25 pm

To set the record straight, we have a new page on our website listing the 50 "Golden Age" 3-D features. Please share!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/golden-age-3-d
PreviousNext

Return to Collecting and Preservation