Attention 16mm Collectors !

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

earlytalkie

Attention 16mm Collectors !

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 9:02 am

There is a gentleman who is seeking out anybody who may have 16mm copies of the 1964-65 TV series My Living Doll. The original negatives were lost in an earthquake back in the 1990s. This gentleman has been scouring the globe in search of this series in the hopes that it could be seen again. He has put together a DVD set of ten episodes found so far, along with many (and I do mean many) really neat extras. This set is offered through MPI Home Video. I've seen some of the episodes and they are pretty funny and hold up well. This one-season series starred Bob Cummings and Julie Newmar, and concerned Bob becoming the caretaker of project AF-709, a beautiful robot personified by Julie. This gentleman who is seeking the films is an employee of Jack Chertok Productions, the company who produced this series as well as My Favorite Martian, Private Secretary (Susie) and The Lone Ranger. If anyone has any information concerning this series, please contact the poster "My Favorite Martian" on the Sitcoms On Line page, under the post "One Year Wonders". If you can't post there, please contact me, earlytalkie, on this page and I will pass the information along. Thanks for any information any of you can come up with, Leslie Eckhardt.

Spiny Norman

Re: Attention 16mm Collectors !

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 am

UCLA has 9 episodes, but that may not be news to you.
This is nøt å signåture.™

silentfilm

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:32 am

I don't know if anything has changed since 2009/2009, but Peter Greenwood was using heavy-handed tactics to try to obtain prints of this TV series. When a reputable 16mm dealer listed prints for sale on eBay, Mr Greenwood had the auctions stopped because he claimed that the Jack Chertok productions owned the copyright on them. Actually, only three episodes were copyrighted and renewed. All of the others are public domain. Although Greenwood had the opportunity to purchase several episodes, he decided to demand access for free. There's a long story behind this, but several collectors who have episodes will never, ever work with Mr. Greenwood on this project.

Spiny Norman

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 am

Really? What a pity. This way the audience is robbed of the opportunity to see them.
Although, if they are PD except for three, collectors would be at liberty do sell or share the episodes they have.

Jim Reid

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 am

Spiny Norman wrote:Really? What a pity. This way the audience is robbed of the opportunity to see them.
Although, if they are PD except for three, collectors would be at liberty do sell or share the episodes they have.

If he had paid the reasonable price for these prints, there wouldn't be a problem.
He wanted them for free and tried to bully his way to that end.

Spiny Norman

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Jim Reid wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Really? What a pity. This way the audience is robbed of the opportunity to see them.

If he had paid the reasonable price for these prints, there wouldn't be a problem.
Yes, like I said, a pity that someone's silly behaviour ruins the chances of a more complete release. But I've seen it before, someone appointing himself lord and master over a legacy and bullying others.

I see that at least 1 other episode is for grabs on the internet.

earlytalkie

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Jim Reid wrote:

Yes, like I said, a pity that someone's silly behaviour ruins the chances of a more complete release. But I've seen it before, someone appointing himself lord and master over a legacy and bullying others.

I see that at least 1 other episode is for grabs on the internet.

I had no idea about these sad details. This is probably the same man. (I didn't know his name). If this is true, then I have been misled. I apologize for apparently opening up a rather nasty can of worms.

Spiny Norman

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 pm

earlytalkie wrote:I had no idea about these sad details. This is probably the same man. (I didn't know his name). If this is true, then I have been misled. I apologize for apparently opening up a rather nasty can of worms.
Well, I didn't know anything about it either. At least we can give him some credit for getting the other episodes released, and with some extras which sadly isn't default.
The damage is probably done. But I'll see if I can track down from what channel "A day in court" was recorded (that I found on the internets). Stations will probably be more cooperative.

As for collectors with other episodes, if they really are PD, there's no-one to stop you from doing the same as he.

momsne

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 6:33 am

"I have been working with the Jack Chertok estate on trying to find the episodes for at least 5 years now. All that has been found are 11 16mm prints through various sources. The biggest holdings are the 6 shows at UCLA. No one has any idea as to what happened to the 35mm prints or the negatives. CBS claims to have nothing and the vaults where Chertok kept My Favorite Martian don't have anything either. I briefly interviewed Chertok for an article I was writing about 25 years ago and he told me that he had destroyed all of the elements because he couldn't do anything with the show and was tired of paying the storage on it. I don't know for certain if that's true but as time passes and no one has ever turned a set of them up, it begins to seem more and more likely."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/m ... ar.224683/

Spiny Norman

PostSat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 pm

silentfilm wrote:I don't know if anything has changed since 2009/2009, but Peter Greenwood was using heavy-handed tactics to try to obtain prints of this TV series. When a reputable 16mm dealer listed prints for sale on eBay, Mr Greenwood had the auctions stopped because he claimed that the Jack Chertok productions owned the copyright on them. Actually, only three episodes were copyrighted and renewed. All of the others are public domain. Although Greenwood had the opportunity to purchase several episodes, he decided to demand access for free. There's a long story behind this, but several collectors who have episodes will never, ever work with Mr. Greenwood on this project.

Someone else that I mentioned this to told me, and I stress that I have no idea which version is more true, that the episodes are not PD, that money was paid for some, as well as for restoration and production of bonus features, and that apart from him Julie was also asking for them (and gets a cut from the DVD sales). So perhaps collectors shouldn't automatically reject the idea after all. The part where it doesn't disppear into an unappreciative archive but is released for the fans is already something (more luck than some old films & series have).

earlytalkie

PostSun Apr 14, 2013 9:29 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
silentfilm wrote:I don't know if anything has changed since 2009/2009, but Peter Greenwood was using heavy-handed tactics to try to obtain prints of this TV series. When a reputable 16mm dealer listed prints for sale on eBay, Mr Greenwood had the auctions stopped because he claimed that the Jack Chertok productions owned the copyright on them. Actually, only three episodes were copyrighted and renewed. All of the others are public domain. Although Greenwood had the opportunity to purchase several episodes, he decided to demand access for free. There's a long story behind this, but several collectors who have episodes will never, ever work with Mr. Greenwood on this project.

Someone else that I mentioned this to told me, and I stress that I have no idea which version is more true, that the episodes are not PD, that money was paid for some, as well as for restoration and production of bonus features, and that apart from him Julie was also asking for them (and gets a cut from the DVD sales). So perhaps collectors shouldn't automatically reject the idea after all. The part where it doesn't disppear into an unappreciative archive but is released for the fans is already something (more luck than some old films & series have).

Whatever the circumstances, It is good to see at least a portion of this series again. So many series fade into the obscurity of tangled up rights issues. Mr. Adams and Eve, a 1957 CBS series which starred Ida Lupino and Howard Duff has been in limbo for years. Some sources say no one knows where the negatives and prints are others say a handful of prints are in an archive somewhere. One exsisting episode is posted on YouTube, and the story goes that a collector found this lone exchange print in the back room of some local TV station. This show was last run in Chicago around 1966 on WCIU-TV, Channel 26, the proginator of ME-TV. These old shows may not be as highly regarded as some of the true classics, but they are fun and show younger viewers that everything wasn't Lucy, Jackie Gleason and Dick Van Dyke. (And I love the three I just mentioned).

Roseha

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 pm

By the way, I was just scrolling through Hulu Plus on my Roku 3 - they've apparently added lots of new stuff in no particular order, to put it mildly - and what should pop up but My Living Doll. I didn't look at it yet but they listed 10 episodes.

While looking in the comedy section I also saw listed 16 episodes of You Bet Your Life and several Ed Sullivan shows, including the Beatles' appearance in 1964.
- Rosemary

silentfilm

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Interestingly enough, I received an email and two phone messages from Mr. Greenwood this last weekend about this thread. I'm not going to go into more detail, as I have never met or interacted with the man myself. I know two film dealers/collectors that will never, ever work with him again. It's great that he is trying to preserve all the episodes from this series, but just be aware that others have had difficulties working with him.

Gaucho

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Perhaps this is an uninformed question that has been covered elsewhere on this site before (I did search but it didn't turn anything up) but is Mr. Greenwood associated with those who put out the DVD?

silentfilm

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:Perhaps this is an uninformed question that has been covered elsewhere on this site before (I did search but it didn't turn anything up) but is Mr. Greenwood associated with those who put out the DVD?

Yes, he produced the DVD of the currently available episodes.

Spiny Norman

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm

silentfilm wrote:Interestingly enough, I received an email and two phone messages from Mr. Greenwood this last weekend about this thread. I'm not going to go into more detail, as I have never met or interacted with the man myself. I know two film dealers/collectors that will never, ever work with him again. It's great that he is trying to preserve all the episodes from this series, but just be aware that others have had difficulties working with him.
On a website which shall remain nameless I saw a further episode that was not on the DVD set. Bad quality, but it was there.

Perhaps he's working on a 2nd volume?

jimmo

PostWed Apr 06, 2016 2:21 pm

earlytalkie wrote:There is a gentleman who is seeking out anybody who may have 16mm copies of the 1964-65 TV series My Living Doll. The original negatives were lost in an earthquake back in the 1990s. This gentleman has been scouring the globe in search of this series in the hopes that it could be seen again. He has put together a DVD set of ten episodes found so far, along with many (and I do mean many) really neat extras. This set is offered through MPI Home Video. I've seen some of the episodes and they are pretty funny and hold up well. This one-season series starred Bob Cummings and Julie Newmar, and concerned Bob becoming the caretaker of project AF-709, a beautiful robot personified by Julie. This gentleman who is seeking the films is an employee of Jack Chertok Productions, the company who produced this series as well as My Favorite Martian, Private Secretary (Susie) and The Lone Ranger. If anyone has any information concerning this series, please contact the poster "My Favorite Martian" on the Sitcoms On Line page, under the post "One Year Wonders". If you can't post there, please contact me, earlytalkie, on this page and I will pass the information along. Thanks for any information any of you can come up with, Leslie Eckhardt.

I sent you a private message about this post.

Return to Collecting and Preservation