3rd film fragment project - Know them ?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Silencebound

3rd film fragment project - Know them ?

PostThu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am

Upon almost completion of scanning and cropping the third 35mm film fragment. Probably it is an Italian movie of unknown origin. At approximately 32 seconds running time ( 16.75 fps ), with five cement-spliced 40ft roll in excellent condition. Quite concerned to noted that this fragment have two red-tinted Italian language intertitles being spliced together. Well, before uploading the finished project due tomorrow, I want to know who is this three stars in it ? Looks so Italians, don't they ? ID them if you can, and hard-to-googled the name of 'C. Fiorini Film'. Know him or his film company ?

And the intertitle's name shown at lower-right corner - Serie Roncoroni. Get it ?? :roll:
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

doctor-kiss

Re: 3rd film fragment project - Know them ?

PostThu Jan 23, 2014 6:23 am

It's impossible to be certain from a single frame, but the guy in the car resembles Domenico Gambino in costume as Saetta, a character he played in a number of features from 1920 onwards. Several early works in the series - in particular, SAETTA E IL CLUB DEI CIUFFI (more commonly rendered in contemporary adverts as SAETTA ED IL CLUB DEI CIUFFI) and SAETTA PIÙ FORTE DI SHERLOCK HOLMES, both from the first half of 1921 - were directed by Mario Roncoroni, which obviously might tie in with the 'Serie Roncoroni' credit on the intertitle. (Although modern sources credit Gambino as co-director on these features, Roncoroni alone tended to be credited in contemporary sources).

I'm uncertain about the identity of C. Fiorini Film; although these Saetta movies from 1921 were distributed locally by their newly founded production company, Saetta Film, they could well have been handled by other distributors on a regional basis.

Merely a suggestion, and likely one that won't lead to much additional information that can be located online...

Domenico Gambino in costume as Saetta, 1922:

Silencebound

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for the infos. I'll look to it. :)
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Spiny Norman

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 am

Lantern gave me one result that might fit. The woman looks rather identical. Who knows?

This is nøt å signåture.™

Silencebound

PostMon Feb 17, 2014 10:21 pm

I don't think so. Well, the woman in middle collecting the bottles is Pina Majelli. I am not sure but the imdb have confirmed this along with other names with 'Mario Roncorono' ( director of this film ? ) and seating in car is Domenico Gambino, as what doctor-kiss has mentioned it.

doctor-kiss

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 5:27 am

Here's a double-page advert from Italian trade journal La rivista cinematografica of December 10th, 1920, in which the two images of Pina Majelli bear a much closer resemblance to the woman in the fragment than was the case with the couple of postcard images of her located on a previous thread. This, together with the stressing of Roncoroni's name within the publicity, adds to my feeling that this fragment comes from a Saetta picture.

Full-size at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15047525939/

unipal

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Fiorini Film, founded by Arturo Fiorini in Torino, was a short-lived company - 1919-1920, so that is probably the date of the film. The "Serie Roncoroni" could be the two-episode "Il gigante e i serpenti" (or "Il gigante, i serpenti e la formica"), which Mario Roncoroni directed in 1920 for Fiorini Film, with actor Alfredo Boccolini (who seems to be the man in the car).

Image Image
Alfredo Boccolini
Last edited by unipal on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silencebound

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Again, many thanks for this, doctor-kiss. A bit clearly presentation of that Italian actress Pina Majelli in connection with Saetta serial films. I'll look in it to gain more clear status which the film title of # 3 Nitrate program is in it. Well, 'Serial' films could be bit more confused with star's names with their same character's names that left out in the fragment versions without title, unless I want to know WHO is that excessively plushed-up woman who is standing at far left of the screen, and as well as the title, too. Please see '# 3 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !' to ID her. :?

doctor-kiss

PostSun Sep 14, 2014 7:17 pm

unipal wrote:Fiorini Film, founded by Arturo Fiorini in Torino, was a short-lived company - 1919-1920, so that is probably the date of the film. The "Serie Roncoroni" could be the two-episode "Il gigante e i serpenti" (or "Il gigante, i serpenti e la formica"), which Mario Roncoroni directed in 1920 for Fiorini Film, with actor Alfredo Boccolini (who seems to be the man in the car).

I think this is almost certainly the correct identification of this fragment, and I agree that the actor looks much more like Boccolini.

In IL GIGANTE, I SERPENTI E LA FORMICA, child star Ilda Sibiglia (entering adolescence by this point) played an orphan whom various villains are trying to swindle out of an inheritence, with Boccolini of course the 'giant' from the next village who comes to her rescue. He seems to have spent much of the time speeding around in cars and trains in rural areas in the two episodes of the film (which were written up in great detail for the 1923 French release through Pathé as LES SERPENTS, LA FOURMI ET LE GÉANT). All of the latter certainly fits with what we see in the frames here.

More importantly, the original trade press announcement of the movie, under yet another variant form of the title, I GIGANTI, I SERPENTI E LA FORMICA, contains both of the magic phrases "Fiorini Film" AND "Serie Roncoroni" - at least before some of the letters disappeared due to the incredibly tight binding! From La rivista cinematografica of April 25th, 1920:

(The initially announced cinematographer, Eugenio Bava [father of Mario], appears to have been replaced subsequently by Giuseppe Sessia).

For now, it really looks as though you have solved this one!

Silencebound

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Yes, that absolutely must be him, Alfredo Boccolini. Thank you both for it. The other film that he starred in the 1921 ltalian film 'La Nave', as to present his costumed dress - See closely at his frustrated face :-

Image Image

The previous uploaded pix far above is not Gambino nor Pina Majelli as originally thought. But the solving puzzle is not complete as I wants to know who is that two women who was billed in 'I Giganti, I Serpenti e la Formica' ? That enables me to complete the # 3 fragment head title with at least two starring names in it, the better than being named only one person. Well, to make ID a bit quicker, can anyone please post a close-up ( if any ) of Ilda Sibiglia here, and it's photo-taken date.

Return to Collecting and Preservation