Removing paint from photogrpahs

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

LouieD

Removing paint from photogrpahs

PostTue Aug 19, 2008 1:27 pm

I got a couple of stills that were painted on at one time so the images would show up better in newsprint. Has anyone ever tried to remove any of this paint off their images and had success with no damage to the photo emulsion?

rudyfan

Re: Removing paint from photogrpahs

PostTue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 pm

LouieD wrote:I got a couple of stills that were painted on at one time so the images would show up better in newsprint. Has anyone ever tried to remove any of this paint off their images and had success with no damage to the photo emulsion?

Hi Louie

I have purchased vintage photos with paint and have successfully washed it off. Careful and slow is the way to go. I have used a damp sponge, blotted on the paint to dampen it, then wiped it away (rinse the sponge between wipings). I also try to restrict to only the area with paint and try not to touch any of the remainder of the photo. Some of the emulsion underneath (depends on the photo) had lightened under the paint. Underneath, however, you also might find pen or pencil lines where the photo was marked for the painting.

I have only seen this on glossy finish photos, I've never dealt with this with heavier weight paper, like souble-weight matte finish.

Good luck!

Jack Theakston

PostSat Aug 23, 2008 10:21 am

Louie,

Try getting a bottle of Ecco 1500 photographic cleaner. Using a cotton pad, it will remove the paint off of your photos.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Return to Collecting and Preservation