DVD/Blu-ray Collection Software

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

NotSoSilent

DVD/Blu-ray Collection Software

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 2:30 pm

The last number of years my DVD/Blu-ray collection has grown quite a bit. Just remembering what titles I have is a little challenging, but then throw in bonus films and extras, there is no way possible to remember exactly what I have. And with so many films on multiple discs ("collection" type releases), it's even more difficult.

This got me thinking that there must be some type of DVD/Blu-ray collection software out there. Come to find out, after searching, there are plenty to choose from. Are there any recommendations on any specific software or web-based application to use? I would like something that can capture the title, players, year, my review/thoughts, and general notes (where I can include if the title is on another disc). These are my high-level thoughts only; I really don't have firm expectations.

Any thoughts?

Oh, I did a search on the site for this type of thread and didn't see anything. If I missed it, just move this where it needs to go and I will find it.

Thanks!

ColemanShedman

Re: DVD/Blu-ray Collection Software

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 4:48 pm

DVD Profiler works well. (Recommend you get an inexpensive barcode scanner to speed up the process. amazon and ebay sell them). Can't comment on any others but it seems to do all you want.

http://www.invelos.com/

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I use such a program.
The features that I have found most important are:

1. Ability to scan the barcode in front of the computer's camera.
The software looks in an online database and fills in all the fields that it can.
Sometimes a barcode won't scan, in which case I type in the number under the code and try again.
If that doesn't work, I type in the title and it will look up that. Then you select the correct one, the DVD or the Blu-ray, for example.
But that's almost rare.

2. Ability to manually change/add to the data. For example, you might buy a movie that came out in two versions, in two different years. You could add the year after the title to make it easier to identify. Or maybe you want to highlight an "extra" film in the title field, one only listed in the description/summary.

3. Ability to make a fully manual entry, for recordings, etc. It needs a description or summary field to be fully useful.

4. Ability to display only some of the fields. The program I use downloads lots of fields, but I'm only interested in some of them on the main screen.

5. Ability to search all fields. When I type in the "search" box, it brings up the titles with those word(s) as I type a title/name/word.

6. There are many other things such as importing, exporting, syncing to a phone "app," if available, etc., etc.

I use a Macintosh program called DVD Hunter which does all these things very well. It's free. If you are on a Mac, you should try it. If you are on Windows, I'm sure that there are similar programs. I hope this helps.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26843/dvd-hunter" target="_blank

Rick

Donald Binks

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 7:13 pm

I don't know whether this software will do everything on your list - but I use it and I have over 3,000 DVD's. It's Bolide "All My Movies". I have been using it for about three or four years and find that it does all that I need.

http://www.bolidesoft.com/allmymovies.html
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

Christopher Jacobs

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 12:23 am

I just use a good old-fashioned Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, entering data manually in various categories I've created. Using the automatic chart creator I can then see a bar graph displaying number of titles by year or decade. I enter each new title at the bottom of the spreadsheet but every so often I do a sort to arrange them alphabetically by release date. That way at a glance I can see what titles I've got from any given year or consecutive years. It's easy to do a search on an individual title or name and find a movie in a hurry. I've also got formula cells to display total number of titles, number of titles longer than two hours, the average release date, and average price paid. I finally gave up on entering all my DVDs but continue to keep Blu-rays current, since I had the spreadsheet form already designed when I started collecting Blu-rays back in 2008.

Lately I've also been adding titles to the free online Blu-ray collection feature that's available on http://www.blu-ray.com" target="_blank to registered members, where you just click on the "Add to collection" button for each title you own on any of the site's Blu-ray pages. This will then keep track of genre, studio, date, rating, director, major cast members, etc., basically giving you instant access to all information in their regular Blu-ray page for the film. You'll want to be sure to click on the right edition of a movie (multi-film box set, stand-alone, anniversary edition, collector's edition, etc.) to keep the data accurate to what you've got. The collection feature also provides certain statistics in pie charts, tells you what genres you have under- or over-represented (according to them, anyway), and lets you compare your collection with other members. You can keep track of what you paid, what you've watched, how you rate the film, manage categories, sort on various categories, display in images of boxcovers only, in boxcover images with descriptions, or in list format, display in printer-friendly format, and lots of other options. You can also import from various other collection applications and export a list of UPC numbers. It will also give you viewing recommendations of other movies, based on what is in your collection. Every time you enter a title into your collection, it also adds it to its master list of how many collections contain each title, so when you're researching data on any movie you can see how many people own it in their collection (or have taken the time to admit they own it by adding it to their online database).

I haven't gotten around to trying their DVD collection version, but I don't think they keep that as comprehensively complete as their Blu-ray coverage tends to be.

countryslicker

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 12:51 am

For several years I've been using "Movie Collector" from Collectorz.com on my Mac and my mobile (cell) phone. There are other versions available for PC, Android, iPad and iPhone. Extremely happy with what it does. My collection is getting quite large now - the software has been especially handy as I can also have the app and full database on my phone just in case I can't remember when out shopping if I already own a copy of a a particular movie. Well worth considering.

siriami

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 3:05 am

Another vote here for DVD Profiler - it does what it says on the tin - and does it well.
Alistair

fwtep

PostWed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 pm

Another vote for Movie Collector.

NotSoSilent

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I will look into all of them.

silentfilm

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 6:24 am

Revisiting this old topic, I tried out DVD Profiler for the iPad last night. It does have an easy interface to scan the UPC bar code to enter your collection, and a nice search engine for your collection. However, it does not document the many special features that are included on a disk.

I tried a different app that nobody has mentioned yet, MyMovies, and it seems to be better. Their online database lists the many extras and commentary tracks that are on my disks. And it also has a UPC scan function. I scanned 150 disks last night, and only found two disks that were unknown to the software. (My Musty Suffer disk did not have a UPC bar code, so I'll have to see how to enter that one later.)

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 12:46 pm

I've been using DVD Profiler for many years, and it does indeed document the special features on the disc (though if it's a new or obscure release, you might need to add them to the database yourself, since it's dependent on a user-developed database). There's also a mobile version that you can synch with the desktop version.

Return to Collecting and Preservation