# 17 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Silencebound

# 17 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

PostFri Sep 26, 2014 5:07 am

Nice going but I am quite bit rather unhappy with the long time-pacting of scanning this 17th lost film fragment of "CAMPING OUT" ( USA - 1928 - Silent ), featuring Donald Haines as 'Smitty' and Otto Fries as 'Camp Foreman', but 751 frames might given me the safe-haven from being sitting all day inside my office. Just only bit over a week to finished it all up before uploaded it to YT, so no question nor thoughts being asked. But, well, the 16th film is absolutely my best work to date, and am wishes that I shall do the same for all my Nitrateville fans. The 46ft Nitrate roll have two cutted-out 'strip' film from the beginning so I 'spliced' it altogether with gray-coloured blank Safety film to representing the lost frames image. Hopes that help with anyone's viewing suggestion that I might be wondering. I have asked the former owner from the States about this fragment roll whether if there is any missing frames that he might've be left somewhere in his den but he didn't reply me back for long time . . . :( This short film originally consisted of two reels as the discovered fragment is Reel One with scenes identification numbers from '1-38 to 1-46'. I can't be blamed enough for showing this # 17 fragment in it's paltry 37-seconds running time at 20 fps. I'd wishes that it is running a bit longer, like a two-minutes slot. There's rather bit unusual decision whether if I leave it at 16.75 fps OR 20 fps, but I chose it at 20, as simply larger due to it's film's originally release-date in 18th November, 1928. But, I've noticed that the stars in it amuckin' and twistin' around a bit strangely faster than as usual. So, let's judge this and what do you think ? My thanks are due to Ray Faiola and Steve Massa for provided the informations about this short film and it's stars. Enjoy it ! :)

I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Steve Massa

Re: # 17 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

PostFri Sep 26, 2014 9:06 am

Wow. Thanks for putting the footage up - it's looks great. Besides big guy Otto Fries, the little man with the bald dome is Joseph "Baldy" Belmont (playing Smitty's father), and the oldest boy is Coy Watson Jr.

Silencebound

PostSat Sep 27, 2014 5:26 am

Steve, thanks again for the newest boy star's name being introduced in this found fragment. I have thought that the elder boy was Donald Haines, but he seemingly not to be after I carefully checked at his face to be matched but he's not him. Donald's face is chubby-looking wimpy lad as Coy Watson Jr isn't as he looks so 'bright' handsome 16-years old, so I've finally wondered why. And also there's two missing points in IMDB site as the title "Camping Out" didn't including his name 'Coy Watson Jr.' and vica versa. Would someone please kindly add him in it, whether if he is credited or not. Well, I think that actual Donald Haines is probably standing on to itching his 9-years-old face at far left of the screen if more recognizable at his familiar face, then you do the math. Otto Fries never looks so funny 'mobster' lad ! :D
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Steve Massa

PostSat Sep 27, 2014 8:25 am

The other kid isn't Donald Haines either. My impression is that Coy Watson and this other kid play Otto Fries' sons in the short. Haines was the star of the series and is very recognizable.

Silencebound

PostSat Sep 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Oh, I can see that and well-understand about the unknown little lad. Thank you very much ( again ! ), and surely will entertaining you ever more. Cheers. :D

Return to Collecting and Preservation