Looking for "Ella Cinders" photographs...

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

vicvalis

Looking for "Ella Cinders" photographs...

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 12:52 pm

...I'm going to attempt a restoration of Colleen Moore's "Ella Cinders" in the near future, as I believe I might have access to a digital copy without having to go through the Library of Congress. I plan on cleaning it up and creating a digital file suitable for projection that doesn't look like it's just a projected DVD. So far as I've been able to find there are no longer any copies of the original 7-reel 35mm version of the film; all copies come from the 5-reel 16mm Kodascope version. I'm hoping to replace the missing portions of the film with titles and photographs. Here's where I'm going to need some help (well I'm going to need help with the whole project, but this is the specific help I'm looking for here): While I have access to a large collection of photos, including photos from "Ella Cinders," I want to cast a wider net and appeal to people out there who might have images they would be willing to share. I'm specifically interested in photos from missing portions of the film. For example, there is a scene early on in the Pill residence kitchen where Ella has a vision of her role reversed with her step-mother. The production code number I've seen on one image from this portion is "57-100." Others would have numbers close to this. A second set of missing scenes begin when Ella arrives at the ball, and include a flashback to Ella getting dressed for the ball, and a flashback to the ball itself. I have no production numbers for these scenes, as I've never seen photos from this sequence. There is a sequence that happens somewhere in the studio chase scene where Ella runs into Anna Q. Nilsson and Loise Fazenda on the set, number "57-105." I'm wondering if anyone out there has images they'd like to share for this project. I've seen some on ebay from time to time, but this project will be crowd-funded, and cannot afford to buy any myself. But rest assured that if have any images you'd let me scan, they will not pop up on ebay. Also, I cannot find a continuity anywhere; the missing scenes I know about are from reviews, or the musical cue sheets. Anyone with information on documentation (besides at the WB archives at USC) to share would be doing me a great favor. Heck, if you know where 35mm portions might be archived that are not blow-ups of the 16mm copy, that would just about make my day. As of this time, I've only just begun working on the project. I do not have a copy of the film yet, though I have identified fonts used for artwork and even managed to recreate the opening credits. I expect this project to take some time, but hope to begin actual work cleaning up the film in the next few months. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and I'll post periodic updates.

jeff

oldposterho

Re: Looking for "Ella Cinders" photographs...

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Have you gotten the "script" from the NY State Censor Archives?

http://iarchives.nysed.gov/MPD/rr_other_film_search.jsp

I haven't used them for silent films - the talkies seem to be just the dialogue so I'm not sure if it would just be 'intertitles.' I notice they wanted some cuts so there might be more details in the full file that you can get along with the "script."

Worth a shot anyway.

--Peter

LouieD

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 1:59 pm

oldposterho wrote:Have you gotten the "script" from the NY State Censor Archives?

http://iarchives.nysed.gov/MPD/rr_other_film_search.jsp" target="_blank

I haven't used them for silent films - the talkies seem to be just the dialogue so I'm not sure if it would just be 'intertitles.' I notice they wanted some cuts so there might be more details in the full file that you can get along with the "script."

Worth a shot anyway.

--Peter

Every time I have ordered something which was silent from the NY State Archives, they haven't had anything. Out of maybe 25-30 films.

vicvalis

PostFri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I considered checking but hadn't gotten around to it yet. In the past, all I've seen for silents were descriptions of scenes, but if they have the text for titles and descriptions of action for stuff currently missing, it will still help. I don't want to make my own text for new title cards if I can find the original text elsewhere.

silentfilm

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Jeff, do you mean as in this photo on eBay? I normally don't spend this much for my photos, so I've never bought it although it has been listed a while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLEEN-MOORE-Vintage-1926-Silent-Movie-Still-ELLA-CINDERS-Film-Scene-8x10-Photo-/300733007010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46051584a2

BenModel

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 pm

This is from the scene in the studio cafeteria, which I believe follows the scene with Harry Langdon.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

JFK

Ella Cinders' kinders...

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 9:51 pm

The daughter of Moore's co-star -Lloyd Hughes- appeared at a
2002 Chicago screening I attended.
At a
2011 Chicago repeat showing, a Hughes grandson showed up.
Perhaps if you contacted the event organizers, they could put
you in touch with Hughes' surviving kin

vicvalis

PostWed Oct 22, 2014 3:01 pm

I've seen the cafeteria photo and have my eye on it, but yes, that sort of thing. I see where it would appear int he film, though no specific reference to it in the musical cue sheets... which are really only good for titles and action every 1 - 3 minutes in the film, but enough to have given me an idea of some of the stuff that is missing. The tip about the NY censorship archives was good, they gave me a call to let me know there were only a few lines cut from the film, but the one line that was read over the phone to me is not in the current film. I don't want to have to invent text for title cards myself if I can avoid it. Keep it coming folks, every tip and detail is appreciated!

Return to Collecting and Preservation