1907 Sears Roebuck & Co. Motion Picture Machines catalog

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Darren Nemeth

1907 Sears Roebuck & Co. Motion Picture Machines catalog

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 am

1907 Sears Roebuck & Co. Motion Picture Machines catalog on Flikr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 334837606/

Richard P. May

Re: 1907 Sears Roebuck & Co. Motion Picture Machines catalog

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 10:39 am

Seeing pictures of these early Motiograph projectors, and others, I've always found it interesting that there seems
to be no fire protection. They all had open magazines and projection heads. I guess it wasn't until some theater fires that modifications were made.
Dick May

donnie

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Fascinating to look at! Thanks for posting this. I had no idea the technology was so detailed and complex in the early equipment. And I wonder how many man hours must have gone into just writing he descriptions in this catalogue. It must have been a very lucrative field for Sears.

I liked the slides page, including "No pictures will be shown that are not high class and morally clean." :D

Darren Nemeth

PostSat Jan 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Richard P. May wrote:Seeing pictures of these early Motiograph projectors, and others, I've always found it interesting that there seems
to be no fire protection. They all had open magazines and projection heads. I guess it wasn't until some theater fires that modifications were made.

There were optional fireproof magazines with fire rollers for the Optigraph and I think the max reel size was 1100 foot reels.

Fascinating catalog. Projectors were illuminated by gas flame and carbon arc. Not safe at all! :mrgreen:

mndean

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Am not surprised to see the Motiograph came with enclosed magazines and fire rollers (could be omitted, though), plus a dowser and fire shutter. Surprising to see a professional projector in the Sears catalog, but then at the time I guess there were a lot of barnstorming road shows and Sears delivered everywhere.

Good grief, Sears charges a lot for condenser lenses! From what I've read they were little better than bottle glass in that period.

Darren Nemeth

PostSun Jan 04, 2015 10:29 pm

mndean wrote:Am not surprised to see the Motiograph came with enclosed magazines and fire rollers (could be omitted, though), plus a dowser and fire shutter. Surprising to see a professional projector in the Sears catalog, but then at the time I guess there were a lot of barnstorming road shows and Sears delivered everywhere.

Good grief, Sears charges a lot for condenser lenses! From what I've read they were little better than bottle glass in that period.

The projector that they made was the Optigraph. One of the Roebuck brothers, Alvah C. Roebuck, (of Sears and Roebuck) was in charge of its manufacture, IIRC. It was produced from 1896 to 1909.

Phototone

PostSun Apr 19, 2015 1:14 pm

The Optigraph and the Motiograph were both made by the same company, of which Sears had a stake in. I had a relatively complete Motiograph 1A and carbon-arc lamphouse at one time, only missing the pedestal. It had 2-fireproof magazines and the take-up arm option.

Return to Collecting and Preservation