Offering my services in finding films

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

filmfinder

Offering my services in finding films

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am

Hello all,

I live in Prague, home to (as you all undoubtedly know) one of the top ten film archives in the world. I don't work there, but a few years ago, I went there with friends to watch several silent movies in their collection so my friends could see the shape the films were in. Since all but one of the movies contained Czech intertitles, they brought me along to translate the titles into English. (One of the films had German intertitles.)

I am extremely enthusiastic about working freelance for collectors/archives/interested parties worldwide in finding, assessing, and bringing to light the forgotten films in the Czech National Archives. The Ministry of Culture has slashed the NFA's budget many a time, so they don't have the resources to mount any kind of intense exploration of their collection. I can do so, when funded by another organization or individual.

Not only can I search for the films and provide information on the condition (I have more than twenty years of experience in photography and film), I can translate the titles, in cooperation with some truly gifted translators. On top of all that, I have a Czech business license, so I don't have to be hired as a regular employee.

Now. Whom do I approach? Who is interested in the work I have to offer?

Ruby Schwartz

Re: Offering my services in finding films

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi,
I'm a Sr. Citizen, who grew-up Working w/My Mother for Fox/20th C. Fox.
Please Send Me a PM, as, I feel SURE, We could/CAN Work Together. Thanx.
Ruby Schwartz,
San Francisco, CA

filmfinder

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 9:40 am

Only one reply? No PMs? Really?

Arndt

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 10:38 am

You come on pretty strong in your post and I'm afraid on the internet that tends to make people - including me - wary.

Those Nigerians never transferred me the millions I had supposedly won on their lottery, either.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

filmfinder

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Anyone could have contacted me (by PM, not email) to ask for additional details. I can provide several references as to who I am and what interests me, especially from people who attend the Pordenone silent film festival. And I know the current director of the NFA, who can also vouch for my identity. I'm not promising money to anyone, and of course, I can't promise that I'll find anything - but I can look!

I also asked for advice in my initial post, which nobody has given (well, until now, but it's not the kind of advice I was looking for; I wanted to know where the interested parties were). If I'm barking up the wrong tree, don't be afraid to say so. I want to go where the interest is.

Arndt

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 pm

I am sure there is plenty of interest on this forum. What there apparently is not is plenty of money. As you say in your original post institutions dealing with classic film have suffered cutbacks in recent years. Also there does not seem to be much money to be made from the commercial release of DVDs of silent films.
So what you are looking for is basically a private person with an interest in silents and enough spare cash to send you on a quest. I wish I were that person.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

filmfinder

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:40 pm

I wish I, myself, were that person. What fun that would be!

Return to Collecting and Preservation