Talking Dolls and Unplayable Records

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

boblipton

Talking Dolls and Unplayable Records

PostMon May 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Here's an article from the New York Times about a computer program that can take pictures of fragile disk recordings and convert them into sound without destroying the original medium.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/scien ... ries-below" target="_blank

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Donald Binks

Re: Talking Dolls and Unplayable Records

PostMon May 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Before Edison invented the means of recording and playback, some European crackpot inventor had discovered a means of recording the human voice on paper with soot (I think it was soot!) - but he had no means of playing these bits of paper back - so the whole thing was a bit of an useless exercise. Anyway, jump forward to the 21st Century and of course our trusty computer and its accompanying boffins - and we now have a way of hearing these "Phonautographs" - so, if you want to hear "Au Clair de la Lune" ( or to me what sounded like some woeful groans) recorded in 1861 - go here:
http://www.firstsounds.org/features/scott.php
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Mitchell Dvoskin

PostWed May 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Of course, you could just buy one of these Laser Turntables.

FrankFay

PostWed May 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Donald Binks wrote:Before Edison invented the means of recording and playback, some European crackpot inventor had discovered a means of recording the human voice on paper with soot (I think it was soot!) - but he had no means of playing these bits of paper back - so the whole thing was a bit of an useless exercise. Anyway, jump forward to the 21st Century and of course our trusty computer and its accompanying boffins - and we now have a way of hearing these "Phonautographs" - so, if you want to hear "Au Clair de la Lune" ( or to me what sounded like some woeful groans) recorded in 1861 - go here:
http://www.firstsounds.org/features/scott.php" target="_blank

I wouldn't call the effort useless at all- Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville and his "Phonautograph" made possible advances in scientific study by making it possible to picture sounds in a graphic form- an idea used even up to this day, though in a much more advanced form. Edison knew about the device & even used one in an effort to analyze the noise made by an elevated railway.
Eric Stott

Return to Collecting and Preservation