Wolves of Kultur's collaborative restoration

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

shonokin

Wolves of Kultur's collaborative restoration

PostTue May 19, 2015 10:37 am

This article (google translated below) talks about the collaborative restoration on Wolves. I'm really kinda at a loss as to why Lobster or whoever hasn't put this out on DVD or Blu. Maybe there were too many companies involved to do so simply.

http://www.cinetecadelfriuli.org/gcm/ed ... dro04.html

WOLVES OF KULTUR (Western Photoplays / Pathe, US 1919) Dir: Joseph A. Golden; cast: Leah Baird, Sheldon Lewis, Charles Hutchison, Betty Howe, Mary Hull, Edmund Dalby, Austin Webb, William Cavanaugh, Karl Dane, Frederick Arthur ; original length / orig. length: 15 episodes / episodes ( ep. 1, 3 rls. , eps. 2-14, 2 rls. each ); 35mm, 15 episodes / episodes , total 7556 m., 328 '(20 fps), soaked / tinted , Lobster Films / Cinémathèque Municipale de Luxembourg. Restoration Partners: Cinémathèque Municipale de Luxembourg, Cineteca del Friuli, Nederlands Filmmuseum, Cinémathèque Française, Narodni Filmov? Archiv, Österreichisches Filmmuseum / Austrian Film Museum, Danish Film Institute, Academy Film Archive, Cinematheque de Toulouse, Cineteca di Bologna, Film Preservation Associates, Lobster Films.

Captions in English / Inglese intertitles .

15 episodes / episodes:

1 - The Torture Trap 3 rls., 804m., 35 '

2 - The Iron Chair 2 rls., 488m., 21 '

3 - Trapping the Traitors 2 rls., 480m., 21 '

4 - The Ride to Death 2 rls., 477m., 21 '

5 - Through the Flames 2 rls., 533m., 23 '

6 - Trails of Treachery 2 rls., 465m., 20 '

7 - The Leap of Despair 2 rls., 400m., 18 '

8 - In the Hands of the Hun 2 rls., 538m., 23 '

9 - Precipice of Death 2 rls., 537m., 23 '

10 - When Woman Wars Incomplete, only r. 1 / Incomplete, Reel 1 only, 202m., 9 '

11 - betwixt Heaven and Earth 2 rls., 526m., 23 '

12 - Towers of Tears 2 rls., 551m., 24 '

13 - The Hell Hunís Trap 2 rls., 537m., 23 '

14 - Code of Hate 2 rls., 512m., 22 '

15 - Reward of Patriotism 2 rls., 506m., 22 '

The restoration of the serial thriller Pathé 1919 is a collaborative project innovative dating back to September 1992 when the Lobster Film Archive bought at an auction of 27 to 31 rolls of nitrate serial, then considered lost. With the late Fred Junck, this transaction, which then filed a film at the film library of Luxembourg, it was planned to undertake a collaboration between 15 international archives, each of which would take care of the restoration of a single episode, thus dividing the costs and making the serial finished available to all participants. The Silent Film Festival in 2001 a plan was agreed on, and three years after they are pleased to present the world premiere of the completed restoration.
The 27 rollers nitrate imbibed that constitute the main material were really in need of restoration: some parts were coming to decompose, while others had been damaged by water. The episodes were, in large part, substantially complete, with the exception of the first roller 7 of the episode, the episode of the second roller 10 and the entire episode 14. However many of the missing parts have now been replaced by a low second source, a 16mm negative made ​​from a 35mm nitrate no longer traceable. It might seem a revival soon, but, since the material omitted came generally from the first 7 parts, it was possible to replace most of the scenes missing from the version in 35mm, and now the only episode 10 remains incomplete (missing still roll 2 ). The 16mm print, which belonged to the Blackhawk Library, was made ​​available by David Shepard. The captions in the restored version is in English, translated from the French original nitrate using, where possible, the translations of the Blackhawk.
The presentation of La Maison du Mystère (1923) to the Cinema Ritrovato in Bologna, in July 2002, has dramatically changed the outlook the serial, proving that the genre may include a true work of art.
We'll find out for sure that Joseph A. Golden was not a director of the caliber of Alexandre Volkoff, but the episode titles ("The Iron Chair", "Through the Flames "," The Leap of Despair ") promise the kind of melodrama overload you would expect from a serial archetypal.
The actress, Leah Baird (1887-1971), is a figure of considerable interest. Theater actress (in 1908 he appeared on Broadway in A Gentleman from Mississippi , with Douglas Fairbanks), joined the Vitagraph in 1912 both as a writer and actress. In the twenties he formed with her ​​husband Arthur Beck, his own company and produced some magnificent films set in Europe. After his retirement from cinema continued writing and in the forties back on the screen in some supporting roles. Director Joseph A. Golden was a veteran who had started at Biograph in 1907. In 1910-'11 he directed Pearl White in a half dozen western Pathé and also in some episodes of the series The Romance of Elaine (1915).
The draft restoration Wolves of Kultur is dedicated to the memory of Fred Junck, founder of the Cinémathèque Municipale de Luxembourg. - David Robinson

shonokin

Re: Wolves of Kultur's collaborative restoration

PostThu May 21, 2015 10:06 am

I emailed the Fort Lee Film Commission asking if they knew if it'd ever get a DVD release and they very kindly replied. They didn't know and pointed me to Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films. I emailed him and no response thus far. I've seen a little bit of the condensed version from an nth generation VHS dub and it looks like a really great serial.

Rick Lanham

PostThu May 21, 2015 10:31 am

There is possibly some more information in this screening announcement:

viewtopic.php?t=1905

Rick

FrankFay

PostThu May 21, 2015 12:17 pm

I remember when Kalton C. Lahue wrote in the '60s that only one reel of this survived.
Eric Stott

silentfilm

PostFri May 22, 2015 11:17 am

In the 1970s, Blackhawk Films sold a seven-reel abridgement of this serial.

FrankFay

PostFri May 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I strongly suspect most people know this, but "Kultur" was a WWI Allied personification of Germany, often pictured as a well dressed skeleton. It is the German spelling of "Culture"
Eric Stott

shonokin

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 am

Finally got ahold of Lobster Films. They don't think it's economically viable to put it out on DVD at this time.

Brooksie

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 pm

FrankFay wrote:I strongly suspect most people know this, but "Kultur" was a WWI Allied personification of Germany, often pictured as a well dressed skeleton. It is the German spelling of "Culture"

Yes - but as you say, it took on a more specific meaning of 'German culture as Germany believes should be imposed everywhere' in WWI and WWII.

shonokin

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Three years later... still no sign of Lobster being interested in releasing the serial. But Alpha Video just recently put out a compilation movie. I ordered it since it was $6. I'll be interested to see if it is just condensed from the Blackhawk version.
https://www.oldies.com/product-view/8062D.html" target="_blank"

Jim Roots

PostThu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm

shonokin wrote:Three years later... still no sign of Lobster being interested in releasing the serial. But Alpha Video just recently put out a compilation movie. I ordered it since it was $6. I'll be interested to see if it is just condensed from the Blackhawk version.
https://www.oldies.com/product-view/8062D.html" target="_blank" target="_blank"

Please keep us posted. I'm very interested in this.

Thanks.

Jim

Return to Collecting and Preservation