Please ID this Harold Lloyd fragment.

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Silencebound

Please ID this Harold Lloyd fragment.

PostSat Jan 02, 2016 1:16 am

I think that this 1,000 ft long 35mm roll featured 'Harold Lloyd' might not be a lost film as it is currently auctioning at foreign site, not eBay's, until tomorrow night. I will have to stand back until someone here who can ID him behind the main theme of the film. If anyone who have seen ALL of Lloyd's films might recognized this one or not . . .

Last pix here is the company's logo title but hasn't shown out the film title, pity !! :evil:
Please be quickly otherwise I will not be able to get it from there.
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Peter Kalm

Re: Please ID this Harold Lloyd fragment.

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Not sure what film this is. Since it is Pathe, I assume that it is 28mm. One of his formerly lost films, The Tip, was sold a few years ago on eBay on 28mm.
I have read that Harold Lloyd kept his films in a personal archive so their survival rate is good compared to many other stars of that period.
Last edited by Peter Kalm on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spiny Norman

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Peter Kalm wrote: I have read that Harold Lloyd kept his films in a personal archive so their survival rete is good compared to many other stars of that period.
It had a fire at one point.
This is nøt å signåture.™

pookybear

PostTue Feb 09, 2016 4:08 pm

Peter,

This is 35mm stock here and not 28mm. But here is the problem with "The Tip", the 28mm version is condensed down by
1/3 of the original length. I do not recognize this scene, but since I have only seen the condensed version I can not be
sure this would not be new footage from that film. Also for your mental records, The George Eastman House also owns a
copy of "The Tip", however it too is the 28mm version and thus is incomplete by nature.

Pookybear

Peter Kalm

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 9:57 am

Thanks for the info. Since there was no information about The Tip on line and it was assumed to be a lost film, me and many others thought that the film sold on eBay a few years ago was the only copy that still existed. Silent Era was also not aware of any existing print before this sale.
It makes sense that the 28mm print would be condensed since Pathe offered reduction prints in this pre-16mm format for home, church and school use.

pookybear

PostWed Feb 10, 2016 4:07 pm

You are Welcome Peter,

The factor that the George Eastman House has a copy and has already made a new view print off their holding is the reason you have heard no more of the Ebay print. With as much lost film as there is no reason to recover the same
ground again. The Ebay print was in a sad state with the base material giving away but that condition has been stabilized as best that can be done and is now in climate controlled storage just in case it is ever needed in the future. Despite the base problems the pictures are in fantastic shape, literally has a sparkle to it and super crisp image.

That was by the way a great group of 28mm films that turned up a few years ago. There were quite a few prints that
turned out to be the only known copies of certain films. I know that over 60% of the films offered ended up within two
collections. The remainder fell into hands of just a few more. I would love to see another collection like that turn up
some day. But I would if that happens it they would be in better shape.

I do wonder who ended up with 35mm print in the original post.

As for Lloyd's film vault, yes there was a tragic fire that broke out. Harold rushed into in the vault tossing as much film
as he could out to save it. Needless to say he was injured in the valiant effort as nitrate fires are no joke, but he did
manage to save most of his later works. It was the earlier films, (back of the vault would be my guess), that suffered
the most losses in the fire, as at one point he was just overcome with fumes. A good read is included within the link
below.

http://haroldlloyd.us/the-films/the-state-of-the-lloyd-films/

Pookybear

Peter Kalm

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for the interesting link. I remember when this collection was sold on eBay. I bid on a few films myself but the only one I ended up getting was Our Animal Friends and Foes.

pookybear

PostSat Feb 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Peter,

I hope the one you got was in good shape, as the condition of that collection varied wildly.

Pookybear

Return to Collecting and Preservation