Magazine cover question

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

tthacker

Magazine cover question

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 9:15 am

I recently purchased from an EBay seller what I thought was a cover from a 1918 issue of Motion Picture Magazine, removed from an actual copy of the magazine. However, when I finally received it, it turned out to be something a bit different. First, the back side is blank. Second, it's larger than other issues of the same magazine that I own. Could this be a proof?

Spider

Re: Magazine cover question

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm looking at this on a small screen, but is it just me or are those marks at the margins where it would be cut off?

Harlowgold

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 6:48 pm

tthacker wrote:I recently purchased from an EBay seller what I thought was a cover from a 1918 issue of Motion Picture Magazine, removed from an actual copy of the magazine. However, when I finally received it, it turned out to be something a bit different. First, the back side is blank. Second, it's larger than other issues of the same magazine that I own. Could this be a proof?

How was the item described in the ebay listing? Some people do sell reprint covers which are computer copies or possibly photographs of covers. You have to read the listings carefully at times, sometimes one might think one is buying or bidding on a complete magazine when it is only the cover or an actual autographed photo when it's actually a copy of a photo that was autographed.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Yes, it's a proof or something like it created during the production process that never got printed on the back side or trimmed. The little crosses are marks for showing where to trim the finished issue.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

tthacker

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 10:29 am

Considering I purchased this to add to my Evans collection, I'm pretty happy that it ended up being something other than a tattered and torn cover. BTW, here is the photo on which the artwork is based.

Turpinutz

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 4:32 pm

I too would presume the Ruth Roland cover to be an actual printer's proof or artist's proof since it's a blank back. There was ALWAYS an ad on the front inside cover and, the mag would have naturally been trimmed to those crops.

Would be interesting to compare your proof with the actual magazine's printed cover. Bet your proof is much sharper and colorful; looks great in the scan. Maybe one of the Nitratevillians have it(?). Nice find if you got it at a good price.

- SteveR

P.S. - The artist had a better Abbe photo to work from than the arcade card above (hope you find one, Tom!).

tthacker

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 10:06 pm

I have a 5x7 copy of the photo that is hopefully on its way. And the same picture was also used on the sheet music for the song "Someday I'll Make You Glad".

tthacker

PostSat Jan 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Finally got the 5x7 photo. And like the cover, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. On the back is a notice that the photo is only permitted to be reproduced in magazines or newspapers. I have several 8x10s with the notice, but never on a 5x7. As you can see, it's not the usual poor image typical of fan photos of this size.

I do have a general question: does anyone know when 5x7 fan photos started? This one is probably one of the earliest (1918) that I've come across, but I'm assuming the format originated a few years earlier.

Return to Collecting and Preservation