Too Aussie to ID this Gaumont short.

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Silencebound

Too Aussie to ID this Gaumont short.

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 1:29 am

Don't ask me if I'm too Aussie for this new discovery of an oldest French silent short film entry, presumably a meledramatic style of romance instinct genre. I tried to google for it but almost at no avail beside there's 'Gaumont' logo has survived at end footage with about 15-16 frames intacted ( about around that ). This 35mm short have 33 French Language intertitle - pretty a record for such a 850-900 ft long short film. Only three intertitles shown here. It must be bit slightly over 10,000 frames which I've found the measured footage with frames which that is of the other discovered film "Pictureland" which has overpassed 10,000 frames after scanning. I don't know when this film is produced as probably been around 1910 to 1913 at least. It has no edge code but only marked 'Agfa'. Well, let's ID this and search for a lost title, but it might be titled "Le Lendemain" as mentioned in the second intertitle after the start of the film, as it might be a lost short film but I am not sure.

Hope that it will gives us the positive result with the nineteen pixs of the 850-900ft long unknown masterpiece uploaded here. :)
Last edited by Silencebound on Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Spiny Norman

Re: Too Aussie to ID this Gaumont short.

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 2:16 am

That is indeed Place Vendome in Paris, but apart from that I know nothing.
This is nøt å signåture.™

oldposterho

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 am

That looks like it's in amazing shape. I love seeing cities in their pre-War state, hope you can figure this one out 'cause I've got nothing.

rebilla

PostWed Mar 16, 2016 4:25 am

This logo "Gaumont" was used between 1910 and 1914, as for the actors maybe André Luguet and Marcel Lévesque both at Gaumont at that time.

Darren Nemeth

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:25 am

If you can get that text translated plug the clues like names and locations into imdb.com.

For instance if one of the actors is playing the St. Pierre character (if that is the name of the character) coming up with a title is easier.
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Silencebound

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 am

Thanks to some members above, but unfortunately, I cannot find the name and place that connected with any movie database. It would required a special microscope to find something hidden within the frame. Any chance to identify the actors, Doctor Kiss ? Well, Darren, have you finished your new scanning film project yet ? :)
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Jay Salsberg

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 2:18 pm

rebilla wrote:This logo "Gaumont" was used between 1910 and 1914, as for the actors maybe André Luguet and Marcel Lévesque both at Gaumont at that time.

I've only seen Luguet in THE MAD GENIUS, but the younger man in this film does look like it could be him.

Silencebound

PostSun Mar 27, 2016 3:21 am

Some hit-and-miss, but I am bit pretty silly to asking for, does anyone find it in the archive holdings, for instance ?

Spiny Norman

PostSun Mar 27, 2016 4:13 am

Perhaps there might be a French group on somewhere that can help...?
This is nøt å signåture.™

doctor-kiss

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 9:54 am

Seeing this for the first time today, my initial impression is that the dates suggested so far are a bit early; everything, from the fashions to the cars, and from the font and style of the intertitles to the number of close-ups, points for me towards the early 1920s.

In the exterior shot of the man with the boater hat, he is carrying a newspaper in which an advert for the Pérolat furnishings store can clearly be seen. Looking at the digitized holdings of six big Paris dailies (Le figaro, Le gaulois, Le journal, Le matin, Le petit parisien and Le temps), this advert, with slight variations in style, shows up solely between April and July 1921, without exception.

If we accept that the subsequent insert shot employs a real newspaper - to which the paradise-themed classified ad has been added - then the Paris stock exchange results for June 28 would also fit within the months in which the Pérolat ad was being run in the Parisian press.

Consequently, my immediate focus is on the possibility of this being a reel from a Gaumont release of late 1921 or 1922....

Pérolat ad campaign run only between April and July 1921:

rebilla

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm

It could be "Le Paradis perdu" produced by Gaumont in 1921 and directed by Pière Colombier.
One actor seems to be André Lefaur, "Paradis" being the name of the lost bird.
I keep up the research.

doctor-kiss

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 5:59 pm

LE PARADIS PERDU (1921) is the title that I keep being drawn to for this film as well. It was a 600m [1968ft] two-reeler produced by Fantasio Film, an indepedent unit/operation headed by Félix Juven (publisher of the popular satirical magazine Fantasio) , who had a deal with Gaumont that allowed him to shoot at the company's studios, in addition to having his product edited and distributed by Gaumont. LE PARADIS PERDU was the first in a series of 'thoroughly Parisian comedies' that were directed by Pière [a.k.a. Pierre] Colombier, who had previously worked as an illustrator on the magazine version of Fantasio.

The cast reported in Ciné Pour Tous of July 1st, 1921 certainly seems to tie in with the frames seen above, including your original suggestion of André Luguet. At that point in time, filming was announced as having just been completed, with the two-reeler now being edited... which ties in perfectly with the timeframe suggested by the Pérolat newspaper ad:

The Cinémathèque Française has a 16mm print only listed in its holdings. Meanwhile, everything currently points toward Silencebound's 35mm print being the second reel only, which would still be a qualitative upgrade on the CF's 16mm.

Christopher Jacobs

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Wonderful detective work! That sounds like it is the likely film. It is also in such beautiful condition that I'd love to see the entire reel in HD even if it's only the last half of the movie. Is there a plot description available (or better yet, another 16mm print) that could bridge the material from the first reel?

Silencebound

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Is that the film is exactly called "LE PARADIS PERDU", right ? Although the hardest detective work done by Dr. Kiss, who I should credited him for this mysterious endeavour, is indeed a wonderful experience for us to learnt about everything under his microscope that Dr. Kiss is only being equipped himself - none by others like me ! Okay, about the missing first and second-head footage of it, I have contacted the former owner from France by e-mail this morning, as I am expecting to hear from him whether if he maybe have hidden it somewhere in his basement without his knowledge, for instance. But, I'm urging to tell about that 16mm Reduction print in the Holdings that if it is the same as "LE PARADIS PERDU" 35mm print, as we all want to prove that it is same as the 16mm version of LE PARADIS PERDU . . . by scan some 16mm frames to be uploaded here. Anyone ? :?

Silencebound

PostMon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm

To concluded that this film isn't seemingly good to be seen as it is extremely 'too melodramatic' subject. But the other film of 1911 "Pictureland" isn't. As the French short only have half of the length, so I might think it is rather bit problemtic to scan all the 10,000 frames which has took me six months to cover the frames all. But, at the other thought, I am opening to anyone here who wishes to see it as I might only will scan about two or three full shots of 1921's "Le Paradis Perdu". Please hand-up if you want see it anyway. :?

Return to Collecting and Preservation