Marty Kearns

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Jay Schwartz

Marty Kearns

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 8:11 am

A collector friend heard that Marty Kearns had passed away. Does anyone know if this is true?

silentcinema

Re: Marty Kearns

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 1:43 pm

In reaction to your inquiry, I just hung-up with Marty Kearns and he sounded very much alive. He said to tell you that he feels very much alive as well, so he is indeed still among the living.

boblipton

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Unless he was lying. I know, he's pretty much a truthful guy, but he does have a sense of humor.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Jay Schwartz

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 2:29 pm

I'm very happy to hear it! Sorry for scaring people needlessly. I'll correct my friend ASAP.

And tell Marty I miss seeing him (and everyone else) at Cinefest.

Marr&Colton

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 4:58 pm

I talked to him on the phone Thursday, too......he sounded fine otherwise. He didn't make it to Cinevent, either---too much hassle to fly and hotel AC way too cold, which I noticed as well!

moviepas

PostSat Jun 18, 2016 4:48 am

I met and knew Marty when he worked for Thunderbird Films in LA during the 1970s. He sold me a reel of 16mm color takes from the aborted Judy Garland Annie Get Your Gun. He had it on an 800 foot reel in the rear of his old Pinto in the blazing summer sun in LA!!! His friend Murray Glass(both animation enthusiasts) had a reel for sale of another song in takes in his catalogue. One Sunday Murray took me to a hospital to see Marty at that time where he had had a testicle removed because of cancer. Others had him on the missing list for years. It was his boss Tom Dunnahoo of Thunderbird Films who passed way back, in prison, I believe but not for film piracy.

Steve Stanchfield

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm happy to hear that news of Marty's passing is, er, exaggerated! He's a wonderful guy and very knowledge- and has been a great supporter of the work we've been doing at Thunderbean. When I first read this post my heart sank!

moviepas

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 3:27 am

Steve there have been other reports in the past. I can name a dozen people I have read obits for and at least one is still alive all these years later(Gloria De Haven, once married to actor John Payne) and that was in a reference book by a respected UK film reviewer who should have known better!!!!

Return to Collecting and Preservation