Does UCLA Film and Television Archive have a film scanner?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

sampsoninc916

Does UCLA Film and Television Archive have a film scanner?

PostTue Aug 09, 2016 7:48 pm

In order to put analog content like the old school films into today's fast paced digital realm, they first need to be scanned.

UCLA Film and Television Archive has one of the most diverse collection of film and television content out there. Do they also happen to have the old Disneyland TV Show where Walt Disney himself was the host? Since the Walt Disney company is extremely tight lipped about where they keep their classic historical films and television shows that were made during Walt's era, I have to assume they have vaults on the Disney studio lot.

I also know that UCLA Film and Television Archive has a few items from the Disney company. Does the UCLA Film and Television Archive have a film scanner that transfers film to digital for digital restoration and archiving?

Right in my hometown there are two companies that transfer 35mm film. Crawford Media Services and Cinepost. I've called on Cinepost to transfer some Video8 tapes for me because I don't have the necessary equipment to make Video8 transfers like I do VHS transfers. Regardless, Cinepost has digitized a number of 35mm films for Turner Classic Movies, also in my hometown.

If the UCLA Film and Television Archive has a mission to restore and preserve old movies, then do they also have a film scanner to digitize them?

missdupont

Re: Does UCLA Film and Television Archive have a film scanne

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 8:12 am

UCLA doesn't archive their material on digital, as film is still the way to archive, as it's lasted over 120 years, while digital goes bad very quickly.

oldposterho

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 1:55 pm

It's a pity they don't have an on-site scanner but that's probably asking a little much from a public university. As a recent kerfuffle here at N-ville about this very subject exposed, there's a real gap in thinking between 'access' and 'preservation' that seems unlikely to be resolved, short of some well heeled alumni making it a priority.

What a great work/study job that would be for a bunch of young film-o-files, manning the telecine with films that are far down the 'restoration' queue.

Allon

PostFri Aug 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Rumor has it they are in possession of a film scanner. Details to follow

Allon

milefilms

PostSat Aug 27, 2016 8:04 am

Yes, almost every archive has a scanner now and UCLA has one. But as written previously, that's about access, not preservation.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

missdupont

PostSat Aug 27, 2016 8:15 am

Some film can actually be viewed there, or if they have viewing copies in any format, it can be viewed there as well. You can check their website to see what can be viewed. If you want things digitized and put online, scanning isn't the only cost, there's the not so little cost of paying for a site to keep all this available. Several archives have pulled their material after that became too expensive. Maybe you'd like to donate some money to help them in that respect, since nothing is free.

Return to Collecting and Preservation