Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies book series

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

WarrenHymersMoll

Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies book series

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Has anyone else here collected these wonderfully informative mass market movie star books?

http://lynn-munroe-books.com/list58/pyramid.htm

My mother bought me the Judy Garland book when I was little and lately I've been finding the others on eBay and Amazon. A very well-written series with lots of nice film stills.

wich2

Re: Pyramid Illustrated History of the Movies book series

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Back when I had a crush on The Divine Garbo, I treasured my copy of that volume!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Yes, a nice series, although it's a shame only a few were done over here in England. I was lucky to pick up a scruffy copy of Everson's book on Claudette Colbert for (I think) a quid, some while back, and haven't seen one since...

Since then I found the Barbara Stanwyck entry, again for a pound in a charity shop...

Harlowgold

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 pm

WarrenHymersMoll wrote:Has anyone else here collected these wonderfully informative mass market movie star books?

http://lynn-munroe-books.com/list58/pyramid.htm

My mother bought me the Judy Garland book when I was little and lately I've been finding the others on eBay and Amazon. A very well-written series with lots of nice film stills.

I have this loved series since I discovered the books in 1977 as a teenager. These are very handy quick reference books - just today I picked up my Lombard volume to do a quick glance at her early talkies and what I'm missing. Each was a photo packed bargain with usually contemporary (1970s) analysis of the star's movies for under $2 each copy! Unfortunately they pretty much disappeared within a year or so, I think the last volumes were published (in the USA) in very late 1977 although they were still sold at bookstores for at least another year. The writing was hit and miss, some were very pretentious (the Monroe volume is an obnoxious radical feminist trashing of Marilyn, always wondered what this author thought of Gloria Steinem's very sympathetic MM book a decade later) both most were terrific. I have a copy of around 40 of the books and in some cases up to three copies of a title.

Harlowgold

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Yes, a nice series, although it's a shame only a few were done over here in England. I was lucky to pick up a scruffy copy of Everson's book on Claudette Colbert for (I think) a quid, some while back, and haven't seen one since...

Since then I found the Barbara Stanwyck entry, again for a pound in a charity shop...

The Colbert book for some reason is one of the rarest. I bought it in 1979 as a Super 8mm movie shop but that was the only time I ever saw it back then and it doesn't pop up very often on ebay. It was published in 1976 and written by no less than William Everson (who regrettably is one of the few authors who kind of refuses to follow the standard format of really reviewing the movies). The handful of 1977 titles (Harlow, Gardner, a couple of others) are fairly rare too.

Return to Collecting and Preservation