Marx Brothers Cocoanuts

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Mitchell Dvoskin

Marx Brothers Cocoanuts

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 2:24 pm

I just got around to watching the Bluray of the Marx Brothers Cocoanuts. What is the story with the source material used for the transfer? I realize that the original elements no longer exist, but some sections of the film look like they were taken from a 10th generation 16mm bootleg dup.

I find it hard to believe that somewhere in the world there is not better image material. Even an original first generation 16mm print would have looked better.

And while I am on the topic, does anyone know what is in the 3 missing minutes that was in the original theatrical release?

Brooksie

Re: Marx Brothers Cocoanuts

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 12:32 am

The matter of the image quality is addressed in this thread - http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23040.

bobfells

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Quote: "And while I am on the topic, does anyone know what is in the 3 missing minutes that was in the original theatrical release?"

I have a copy of the stage script for COCOANUTS and I'm wondering if the missing three minutes from the movie might be contained in this script. If anyone can tell me where the cut occurred I can check.

Allon

PostWed Dec 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Mitchell Dvoskin wrote:I just got around to watching the Bluray of the Marx Brothers Cocoanuts. What is the story with the source material used for the transfer? I realize that the original elements no longer exist, but some sections of the film look like they were taken from a 10th generation 16mm bootleg dup.

I find it hard to believe that somewhere in the world there is not better image material. Even an original first generation 16mm print would have looked better.

And while I am on the topic, does anyone know what is in the 3 missing minutes that was in the original theatrical release?

Believe it.
Universal reached out to historians, writers, collectors, every museum and archive. No stone was left unturned.
Animal Crackers pre-code version was the major find that Uni turned up
Allon

Marr&Colton

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 7:11 pm

I expected much better upgrade for COCOANUTS, and I did hear some footage was upgraded, there is still a lot of replacement footage that looks pretty dupey.

Allon

PostTue May 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Marr&Colton wrote:I expected much better upgrade for COCOANUTS, and I did hear some footage was upgraded, there is still a lot of replacement footage that looks pretty dupey.

Logically speaking, when a film is damaged the replacement sections are made from what's [known to be] left of the film Many times these replacement sections are 2 generations away in 35mm. If the replacement sections came from a 16mm source, then it looks like 10 generations. Hence, all the complaints. A polished turd is still a turd. You can quote me on that, haha.
Allon

JFK

Marx Brothers Cocoanuts

PostTue May 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Allon wrote:Universal reached out to historians, writers, collectors, every museum and archive. No stone was left unturned.
Allon
It would be helpful, for those hoping to find better source material, to have a complete list of those whom Universal contacted, plus a chronicle of how the Universal folks promoted and conducted their search.

Return to Collecting and Preservation