Many of My WB Dvds are "Rotting" (??)

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Harlowgold

Many of My WB Dvds are "Rotting" (??)

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Has anyone had this problem? This week I tried to play a disc from a Flintstones season and was unable to. The disc had turned a foggy color on the "play" side. I looked at the other discs in the set and they were all now this color. I checked out the various discs on other Flintstones seasons and found the same problem repeatedly. I thought perhaps it was this hard transparent plastic the discs were mounted on as the problem as I had the same thing again with many other WB dvd cartoon and season sets. AND THEN I began checking several of my single WB dvds and found a good 30-35 percent of them also looked suspicious and most would not play when I tried to. Alarmed, I checked several dvds released by other companies that I've had forever (most of these were all purchased at least seven years ago as I've slowed down on my dvd purchases considerably since then since I was rarely watching any disc more than once) and all of them worked fine except for the Kino D W Griffith short film set. I don't know when this problem started - I did try to play REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE last year and I wouldn't play but I just presumed perhaps it was bad from day one (can't recall if I ever played the disc before) and just forgot about it as I hadn't run into the problem since.

I found this thread online about Warner HD dvd discs https://www.avforums.com/threads/warner ... t.1614448/" target="_blank but most of mine are just regular titles. Several of my earliest WB purchases like GWTW and the Gilligan's Island sets look and play fine still. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I couldn't find much online other than this posted thread. I'm aware my location (the Gulf coast where summers are very hot) may be a factor in damaging the discs but it's odd only the WB titles appear to have been affected.

Brooksie

Re: Many of My WB Dvds are "Rotting" (??)

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Someone mentioned similar problems a while back in this thread - http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20399&p=182658

Harlowgold

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Brooksie wrote:Someone mentioned similar problems a while back in this thread - http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20399&p=182658

Thanks - I hadn't seen that thread and couldn't pull up anything in a search (too much of course comes up for dvd, WB, etc.) I'll be posting comments on that thread about my dilemma.

Ray Faiola

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 am

I'll just say one word. SPROCKETS!!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

boblipton

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 7:00 am

Are we supposed to dance to German techno-pop?

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Richard P. May

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 8:36 am

I have a number of WB DVDs from when I was working there, 12+ years ago, and have never had any of them not play. I recently saw ROARING TWENTIES from the 2005 "Gangster" box set, and it was fine.
I don't have anything more recent, not being much of a DVD buyer, so probably something has changed in the manufacturing (or manufacturer).
Dick May

momsne

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:30 pm

I have heard of "laser rot", laserdiscs that would start to show signs of deterioration like speckles due to bad manufacturing. Blank DVDRs from certain brands (Ricoh is one I know of, from personal experience) did not age well, whether due to exposure to UV light or from some other reason. I had a few recorded DVDRs that became unplayable after a few years. About 10 years ago, Sony offered to replace movie DVDs it made that had such strong anti-copy protection on the discs, they wouldn't play on some DVD players. Including some Sony DVD players.

Except for a few MOD burnt Warner Archive DVDRs which sometimes did not play on my computer's DVD player, I recall no problems with playback of Warner pressed DVDs. After writing this, I now expect to play one of my Warner DVDs and find out it stopped working.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

I have discs (commercial and home burnt) going way back and have had little or no issues. Maybe there is a questionable spot here or they were the image has an artifact on the home grown discs, but can't say for sure. It could have been on the original I copied.

The only, problems I've had were when someone gave me some DVD's from India. The DVD's refused to play within 6 months.

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 am

One has to wonder if planned obsolescence comes into play?
Randy

Marr&Colton

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:16 am

I have recently had a similar problem: I provide a TV program for our local community access cable channel.

I have to download these programs and burn to DVD. Everything usually worked well until recently when some of the 1 year old DVDs were submitted for re-runs. I soon got a call from the cable engineer that a couple of the DVDs would not run or load.
These were the SAME discs that played perfectly the year before. When I picked them up and tried them at home, they
would not play or load on any of my machines or my computer!

I am beginning to realize some DVD media is NOT good for long term storage of data.

Return to Collecting and Preservation