advice: '70s 35mm TV episode

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Spiny Norman

advice: '70s 35mm TV episode

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

Earlier today I found an item that I would like some opinions on. It was a 35mm TV episode from the late seventies, nothing actually missing, but not present at the UCLA or Paley. Slight vinegar whiff but still OK.

I was thinking if I should donate it to either of them. Or is that just a waste of time?

Although all comments are appreciated I am most keen to hear from people with first-hand experience. :)
This is nøt å signåture.™

pookybear

Re: advice: '70s 35mm TV episode

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Do wish to have it rot in the can? Or for it to be saved? Even donating to an archive is not any
guarantee it will be saved. You have to give them a stipulation for a free donation that the film
must get new elements made by such at date. However, this turns off most archives. The only
other course is supply the funds needed for new elements upon donation. Remember even with the
best intentions most archives have budgets that are spread pretty thin if not non-existent from the
start.

Pookybear

Spiny Norman

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

pookybear wrote:Do wish to have it rot in the can? Or for it to be saved? Even donating to an archive is not any
guarantee it will be saved. You have to give them a stipulation for a free donation that the film
must get new elements made by such at date. However, this turns off most archives. The only
other course is supply the funds needed for new elements upon donation. Remember even with the
best intentions most archives have budgets that are spread pretty thin if not non-existent from the
start.

Pookybear
If they digitize it that would be good enough for me.

Spiny Norman

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 4:06 pm

PS In case anyone else is remotely interested, UCLA refused because they have no money (well, and the material was a bit faded).

Return to Collecting and Preservation