102 Sponsored Films Available Online

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

craig2010

102 Sponsored Films Available Online

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:23 am

New Preservation Digital Access Online Proiect. From NFPF and 11 Archives. 102 films available for streaming. Most in HD and also able to download These are from the Field Guide to Sponsored Films. Highlights include Frank Sinatra "The House I Live in" https://www.filmpreservation.org/sponsored-films/sponsored-films

craig2010

Re: 102 Sponsored Films Available Online

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:25 am

Sinatra vs. Nazi Werewolves: What Deliriously Odd Forgotten Shorts Mean to Us Now (Village Voice) http://www.villagevoice.com/film/sinatra-vs-nazi-werewolves-what-deliriously-odd-forgotten-shorts-mean-to-us-now-9968773

craig2010

Re: 102 Sponsored Films Available Online

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:46 am

From the Village Voice article "But perhaps the real treasure here is “Shake Hands with Danger,” a 1980 masterpiece produced for the Caterpillar Tractor Co. by Carnival of Souls director “Herk” Harvey. An instructional film about workplace safety, the movie is a cavalcade of horrors – mutilations and other catastrophes resulting from careless use of construction equipment. One guy mangles his arm when he tries to grease an axle with his bare hands. Another plummets to his death off an improperly positioned excavator. Yet another effectively shoots himself in the chest when he cavalierly hammers a piece of chipped metal. (Don’t ask.) And then there’s the distracted dude who, worrying about his ill son, accidentally destroys an entire building with a giant tractor. Adding to the surrealism is that the narration is partly sung in an alarmist country twang: “Shake hands with danger/And I’m a guy who oughta know/I used to laugh at safety/Now they call me Three-fingered Joe.”

Return to Collecting and Preservation