What is the frame?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

twisted_whisper

What is the frame?

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi there!
New to this site, never herd of this site before just some minutes ago. BUT I have something I do think you all will like and can help me with. I hope so anyway. I am a movie collector from Sweden 34yr old, sorry my spelling.

I got this some dayes ago (I hope this links work)

I do not really know what it is from, but it is kind of 50-100 frames or more, nitrat frames. Along with a small viwer.
I do sadly not have a frame scanner, I have taken some photos with my camera and also scanned some with my low home scanner and posted in another forum and some think it might be scraps, frames cut away.
Here are some off them: As I get in to it more the better the photos got. worked more in photoshop with some.
Some are just to tries. I love to get hold of a movie scanner to preserve them.

This is one of the most wonderful shots I have seen, I am so inlove with this era, so I love to have found this forum also

this one I think is from the same movie

This one I worked with longer today, I toke a raw photo with my camera and did some photoshop and this is how it turned out. If you wonder about the warp at the top and edges, this frame was starting to roll up, so it was hard to have it in the viewer straight.

And this wonderful frame, is this Mary Pickford? I am not saying it is, just it do look like her.

So off this I posted, do anyone know what movie or movies this are?

Some of the frames I have are tinted red and some are blue and some are brown-ish.
I know why one did tinted some for night time effects and so. But this frames, I have a felling the howl movie was tinted. Most of the frames are not tinted and very well preserved.

I can post more frames over time, I been goon this weekend shooting a movie myself or I be an actor in a project. Very low budget, but still fun. Take care all and I get back to this on monday. Love to read what you come up with if anything. It fells like I found the right crowd for this anyway. Like the crowdfounding section, will sure look in to that more.
Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded photos

pookybear

Re: What is the frame?

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Any inter titles withing this group? Also this was common practice with movie films. After their run in theaters they would
be spliced down and sold on the secondary market for toy projectors and viewers like yours. Some very interesting footage has turned up this way in the past. I hope someone can chime in and maybe identify the actors with in your film.

Pookybear

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Welcome Twisted to nitrateville!

Looks like your first picture indicates that the short portions of each film in the larger box were what broke off from larger reel to reels that were probably spliced to allow reprojection of the film, but those may not exist now and you have the "scraps" of what survived? Definitely all nitrate 35 mm.

It would be good to see intertitle slides.

Regards,
Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Silencebound

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 12:33 am

Nice findings, however, some frames here based from your scanner isn't up to grade-looking appearance. Sorry about it but please see my posts with actual 35mm Nitate films that I already uploaded many excellent picture-looking element as similar to "4K" scanned presentation. And try to see my Nitrate film works posted here titled "# XX - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !". Please see it in 1080p to experience yourself. :)
I just want to and have to show and tell everybody absolutely NOTHING but only the truth.

Neptun

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Very interesting. You should post this on the FaceBook page "Silent Films Today" I too recently got a bunch of nitrate film photos.

twisted_whisper

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 am

pookybear wrote:Any inter titles withing this group? Also this was common practice with movie films. After their run in theaters they would
be spliced down and sold on the secondary market for toy projectors and viewers like yours. Some very interesting footage has turned up this way in the past. I hope someone can chime in and maybe identify the actors with in your film.

Pookybear

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:Welcome Twisted to nitrateville!

Looks like your first picture indicates that the short portions of each film in the larger box were what broke off from larger reel to reels that were probably spliced to allow reprojection of the film, but those may not exist now and you have the "scraps" of what survived?

It would be good to see intertitle slides.

Regards,
Dana

Pookybear, that is great, that must be it, sounds very likely that is the case here. ty so much. Sadly no inter titles. I looked up them more today and there are around 170 frames I have. Might be from around 6-7 movie.

Neptun wrote:Very interesting. You should post this on the FaceBook page "Silent Films Today" I too recently got a bunch of nitrate film photos.

Wow ty, that is nice, I will look into it. ty.

EdibleCamphor

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Could that be Hobart Bosworth in the middle in the sixth image?
Film Writer, Director, Actor, Historian, and Bespectacled Young Man.

twisted_whisper

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Could that be Hobart Bosworth in the middle in the sixth image?

Do you mean this photo?

or this?

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Is it possible to post a few more photos of frames from the same reels? May help to identify what you have.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

pookybear

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I think this is just a box lot of individual frames just for that small viewer in the one photo and nothing like a small spool that one would have with a toy projector. So I would say you have just the one frame in which to identify.

Pookybear

Jim Roots

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 12:54 pm

That's not Bosworth in either photo.

Jim

twisted_whisper

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:45 am

Sorry for delay here.
I been thinking about what to do , how to sort this out.
So I did this, I will start some small topics for the what I think different frames that seems connected and post them on there own. Hope that is ok.
the first one is here
http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24607

I will not update here more, ofc I do answer here.

Return to Collecting and Preservation