IMDB production company credits

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

greta de groat

IMDB production company credits

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 2:26 pm

We've just noticed here at work that suddenly we are unable to click links on IMDB for production and distribution companies without getting directed to IMDB Pro. You can see the company links on the page for a film, and you can search for a company and get a list or even a single name. But if you click on the link, even links to old names like Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, you get a solicitation for a 30 day trial of IMDB pro.

Why would this information be behind a pay wall? We often click on the company names links to see what other films they are associated with so that we can identify the correct corporate entity. Any idea what IMDB is up to and if this is a permanent change? It's very annoying and doesn't seem to make much sense.

Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen

Harold Aherne

Re: IMDB production company credits

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm

It's apparently their new policy, and the "box office and business" is likewise behind the paywall now. Which is quite unfortunate, since it often included production dates for films that the AFI had catalogued with less-complete data (i.e. 1912-30 and 1961-70) or hasn't gotten to yet (most titles from the mid-90s onward), as well as non-US films beyond the scope of the AFI project.

Speaking of the AFI catalogue, I'm still getting used to the new layout of the online version, and I find some of its search limitations dismaying. As far as I can tell, it's no longer possible to search for films that the AFI has viewed, not viewed or viewed partially. And production companies can be searched, but apparently not distribution companies. If someone wanted to use the current search function to get a full list of RKO films, titles like Becky Sharp would be omitted.

Paul Penna

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Going by statements on the imdb support forum from the powers that be, this is something they're working on to get back into public availability. Something to do with data migration issues from the new system they implemented late last year.

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Since I can't get it the data, I can't fill in the gaps for them.

New and vigorous impulses seem to me to be at work in it,[the cinema] and doubtless before long it will drop all slavish copying of the stage and strike out along fresh paths. -- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 9:54 pm

I noticed this too, very annoying. I'm glad to hear that restoring public access is in the works, but I'm not going to hold my breath either.

Return to Collecting and Preservation