Do you ever buy 'Pig in a Poke' films?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

Do you ever buy 'Pig in a Poke' films?

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 am

Here is one example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312066262512?ul_noapp=true

Did you ever get pleasantly surprised? Or do you stick with well described purchases?

silentfilm

Re: Do you ever buy 'Pig in a Poke' films?

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm

This seller (shoeski52) has been selling on eBay for years. If he is listing films this way, it is because they are incomplete, faded, or are titles that nobody would want. His name is Wayne Sarnowski (spelling?). Some collectors have had issues with the films that he sold them. I've only made one purchase for him, and my film turned out to be in excellent condition. So buyer beware...

Brock Davis

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Yes, I was going to say pretty much the same things. I have also bought from him and had good luck but the films were described and he knew about them. These are just educationals or something that he wants to get rid of. I have taken a chance on unknown reels before but only from people that I was genuinely convinced had no idea what they had. Most of the time you end up with a junky film you don't really want, but every once in a while you get lucky and get something interesting.

Ray Faiola

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:24 am

In general, I have often bought very vaguely described films, perhaps because I recognized the segmentation on the reel which indicated either a print-down (like THE LAUREL-HARDY MURDER CASE) or a dye-transfer print (like GRAND CANYON). Many times I have been wildly and pleasantly surprised.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Return to Collecting and Preservation