Advice needed on accessing posters and photos.

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

Cinephile59

Advice needed on accessing posters and photos.

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 am

Greetings to Everyone. I would like to start a blog. Unfortunately I am facing one problem which I cannot solve and I need an advise on how to solve it. Can somebody tell me how bloggers obtain these wonderful posters and photographs of old films to illustrate their blogs? Do you need to own a vast archive of your own posters and photographs or is there an electronic resource one can use to illustrate your blogs? Do you need to clear copyright separately for this?

silentfilm

Re: Advice needed on accessing posters and photos.

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Photos issued by the studios are public domain because they gave them out for free in the hope that magazines and newspapers would print them for publicity. Photos by newspapers and wire services were probably copyrighted initially, and depending on their renewal, may or may not be under copyright.

You are welcome to use photos from my website The Silent Film Still Archive to illustrate your blog.

Getty Images allows you to copy their images, but they use a more annoying watermark in the center of their photos. https://www.gettyimages.com/

Return to Collecting and Preservation