Mary Pickford Movie

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

BankofAmericasSweetheart

Re: Mary Pickford Movie

PostFri Feb 01, 2013 2:22 pm

I guess as long as the film is produced I don't care where it ends up but I would prefer it to be an independent film so that the film can garner potential Academy Award attention. This in turn sparks more interest in Silent Film Era.

This is a very challenging film to make though. How do you make a period picture that is set during Edwardian era without running over budget?

Is this film going to be in "monochrome" or in color or both?

Most importantly which actor are they booking for Douglas Fairbanks? Charlie Chaplin?
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 am

http://movies.mxdwn.com/news/julia-stil ... the-first/

They finally cast Charlie Chaplin and D.W. Griffith. They are still trying to cast Doug and Lillian.
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

JFK

Photo Error:Typo? Or owin' more to inexperience?

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am

----------4614------------------Mary Pickford’s first husband Owen Moore, who will be portrayed by Michael Pitt.

Their photo of "Owen Moore" looks quite a bit too much like Doug Jr.

bobfells

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Talk about being clueless, the writer of that piece doesn't suspect that there's a big difference between Doug Jr. and Sr. Pickford's life is challenging to dramatize and I wonder if the movie will be confined to her years as a film star. The remaining 40 years become progressively sadder although I wonder what Mary could have done differently. I think moving out of Pickfair might have been a good start but who knows?

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm

I think she tried leaving Pickfair a few times to start a radio company in New York City. Unfortunately everything she tried to do never seemed to work out well and she was never successful at anything. I think she could have done better if she had just sold the house and moved to a ranch with Buddy. She didn't need to work anymore and I don't know why she kept bothering to work when she could have just lived off her money.

The film supposedly will only cover the part where she was a star. I don't think it covers the part where she's a hasbeen, though I'd imagine the ending of the film could potentially end up in that era of her life unfortunately.

bobfells

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm

I think the saddest part was in the 1950s when she would visit her old studio in the middle of the night. Her later decades challenge the glib notion that fame and money are ends unto themselves but that may be too deep - and perhaps unwelcomed - for this project.

Doug Sulpy

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 4:28 pm

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote:I think she tried leaving Pickfair a few times to start a radio company in New York City. Unfortunately everything she tried to do never seemed to work out well and she was never successful at anything. I think she could have done better if she had just sold the house and moved to a ranch with Buddy. She didn't need to work anymore and I don't know why she kept bothering to work when she could have just lived off her money.

How about because she was a creative person who didn't feel fulfilled by sitting around in a mansion?

maliejandra

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 am

westegg wrote:No brainer: Johnny Depp as Pickford.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Coco

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:36 am

I met someone a couple of weekends ago who has been involved in the production of this Mary Pickford biopic who told me the movie is being completed and the British actress that plays Mary Pickford is very good.

bobfells

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 am

In reading the fine bio, DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, THE KING OF HOLLYWOOD, I recently learned that Mary became the president of United Artists for a time in the mid-1930s. This occurred when Joe Schenck resigned in disgust because the famous partners of UA were now fighting with each other and by then the meetings often turned into shouting matches. The "producing" partners like Sam Goldwyn demanded a larger share of the profits than the "non-producing" partners such as Pickford, Fairbanks, and to some extent Chaplin. Schenck skillfully proposed agreements that were fair to all the partners but they could never agree. So Schenck left and Pickford filled in for a year or two. At that time, the biggest money making partner was Walt Disney but Pickford alienated him by opposing Disney's project for a feature-length animated film that would be known as SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937). It made a fortune for all concerned but not for UA. Unable to persuade UA to distribute his film, Disney left and moved to RKO and proceeded to bigger and better projects that would have benefited the UA partners. Apparently, it was Pickford who was responsible for this.

I wonder if this chapter of her life will be represented in the movie?

wich2

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

BankofAmericasSweetheart wrote:I think she tried leaving Pickfair a few times to start a radio company in New York City.

Mary actually did dabble in Broadcasting a little - but at home on the Left Coast. Radio actor May Jane Higby recalls that rocky road in her excellent memoir. It was a prestige project; but though rejiggered at least once, it never totally jelled/caught on.

A few other Silent folks also tried the medium. Off-hand, Harold Lloyd and Francis X. Bushman come to mind. Charlie and Buster made occasional forays, too.

-Craig
Last edited by wich2 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brooksie

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 10:54 am

Tino Balio clarifies the Disney incident in United Artists - The Company Built By The Stars. The split was partly over a more favourable distribution deal that Disney was seeking, but mainly over a much more esoteric matter: whether Disney would retain television distribution rights on their product. Disney was absolutely insistent that they retain them; Pickford was equally insistent that they belonged to UA.

Keep in mind that this was 1936, and UA generally only retained distribution rights for five years before they reverted to the artist. UA were ready to give in on such a minor point, but RKO had already seized the opportunity to make an offer that was too good to refuse. Thus Disney's defection became one of the few triumphs of Samuel Briskin's brief stewardship of that company.

There was also a stoush over who would distribute the remaining shorts to which Disney had committed under UA, with Disney offering to buy out the remainder. Pickford belatedly realised the extent to which they were contributing to UA's prestige, which was otherwise at a pretty low ebb at the time.

If they don't include Pickford's subsequent legendary fights with Sam Goldwyn, they're missing a great opportunity.

Daniel Eagan

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Project resurrected with Philomena performer Sophie Kennedy Clark: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-n ... s-10599287

Brooksie

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Pickford was 'controversial' and her later years were 'plagued by boozing and wild parties'? Excellent, in-depth research once again, tabloid newspapers ... :?

Daniel Eagan

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Brooksie wrote:Pickford was 'controversial' and her later years were 'plagued by boozing and wild parties'? Excellent, in-depth research once again, tabloid newspapers ... :?

Yes, it doesn't look promising. "Tragic" indeed.

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Daniel Eagan wrote:
Brooksie wrote:Pickford was 'controversial' and her later years were 'plagued by boozing and wild parties'? Excellent, in-depth research once again, tabloid newspapers ... :?

Yes, it doesn't look promising. "Tragic" indeed.

Once again they have her mixed up with someone like Marion Davies. The movie is supposedly in Post-Production according to IMDB and might be released as soon as this year. I will respect the effort they put into this project since it was very ambitious and not easy to do and I imagine the story will only interest a limited audience but lets just say I don't have very high expectations. I don't know why, but Mary Pickford has to be one of the most misunderstood figures in film history.

2 Reel

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 3:58 pm

It's for now titled The First.

A tale of forbidden love set against the rise of American cinema. At the turn of the century, Mary Pickford becomes the first businesswoman in Hollywood, having founded United Artists. Swept off her feet by the swashbuckling actor Douglas Fairbanks, the very first media-scrutinized love affair in Hollywood ensues, and they are faced with the danger of the masses’ public adoration.

Cast:

Cary Elwes - D.W. Griffith
Balthazar Getty - Alfred Johnston
Luke Arnold - Douglas Fairbanks
Allie MacDonald - Lillian Gish
Summer Phoenix - Vesta Tilley
Fran Kranz - Alfred Rupp
Adam Fergus - Owen Moore
Joséphine de La Baume - Frances Marion
Sophie Kennedy Clark - Mary Pickford
Scott Haze - Charlie Chaplin
Josephine McAdam - Beth Fairbanks
Jeroen van Koningsbrugge - Adolph Zukor
Michael Sirow - Jack Pickford
Jane Stiles - Lottie Pickford
Nichola Fynn - Elsie Janis
Richard Halpern - Samuel Goldwyn
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

pickfordlove

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Do you not think its possible the article here wasn't written using any interview with the filmmakers, and therefore the terms used to describe Mary's older years do not at all reflect the movie itself?

NEWUSERWHB

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am

It now appears that the movie title has been changed and there is no release date yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2391089/?ref_=nv_sr_2

missdupont

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 pm

It's never good when you see the words "unconventional biopic" in the description.

rudyfan

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 4:21 pm

missdupont wrote:It's never good when you see the words "unconventional biopic" in the description.

Well, Hollywood biopics have rarely been truly accurate.

The young lady chosen to be Pickford, at least from the IMDB photo, she had to have been cast because she had long hair?
Previous

Return to Silent News