Kickstarter Project: ENCHANTMENT 1921 FUNDED!

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

Gagman 66

Re: Kickstarter Project: ENCHANTMENT 1921 FUNDED!

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 11:15 am

Ed,

:( Even uncompressed AVI takes up allot of space.The AVI I work with is compressed with Xvid so it is small enough to burn the file. A compressed AVI file of say 890 Meg, will open with U-Lead Movie Factory at over 3. 5 Gig! That's quite a dramatic difference, yet it's the same file! By the time you have added music, it may be well over 4 Gig or even 5. It just depends. On the other hand, Convert X To DVD seems to be able to fit even much larger files on a single layer DVD-R. But then the file doesn't read so big. I used to use only MPEG 2. But that takes up allot more space. But uncompressed AVI takes up far more space. If you can convert to MPEG 2 you shouldn't lose much quality. and the files don't balloon up in size how they read. I have never used DiVix, because it puts a watermark on things that you can't seem to cancel out.

I use Xivid to compress MPEG 2 or AVI format files. I haven't used the MPEG 4 format much, because most of my software doesn't support it. But it might provide better quality and not take up as much space as MPEG 2? In all honesty, who knows what they are using now? New formats and compression metods are introduced all the time. I think MKV is the format for HD. To retain HD information. I'm looking at a file of LONESOME here in MKV format. And the file size is just 2.64 Gig. So maybe it will work?

SeanAx

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 3:33 pm

This is an exciting project and it appears to be a real learning opportunity and an experiment in a new model of community disc production.

I'm in and I hope any extra money collected can be put toward any challenges that come along the way.

Also, how about inviting anyone out there with design skills to contribute a cover?

SeanAx

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 3:34 pm

As you can tell, newby to the site here, but a longtime silent movie fan, regular visitor at SFSFF, and very excited by the project.

drednm

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Welcome, Sean and thanks for the contribution..... I originally planned to mail out disks in paper sleeves. I may rethink that....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Rodney

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 4:15 pm

Congratulations on the successful project!

I've had some experience doing DVD authoring, menu and cover design (the Mont Alto releases of The General and The Mark of Zorro were done on my Mac using Compressor and DVD Studio Pro, and are pretty well regarded). Contact me with a PM if you have any questions you want answered.

I don't know how many orders you'll want to fill, but if it's more than a few dozen it may make sense to take any "extra" money and go to a place like Oasis CD. I used them for some short-run CDs of a High School jazz ensemble my daughter played in, and was happy with their work. For a fully pressed DVD like ours you need to order 1000, but their small-order branch will burn and package DVDs in smaller quantities as well. Using their online tool, it looks like a DVD in a printed sleeve with color printing on the disc would be about $3 each for a run of 100, and a CD-style jewel box is even cheaper. When compared to your time at your DVD drive, it may be worthwhile.

Anyway, thanks again for putting this in motion!
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

kaleidoscopeworld

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 5:05 pm

I agree with other posters that it would be great to get an HD file from the LoC and downconvert for DVD, that gives you more options than having the DVD-size/quality material as your starting point. And it seems a shame to pay so much for a digitisation, and get a lower-quality film than you could have for the same pricey.
Of course, with HD you run into problems with framerates and have to start trying to finding various workarounds. It's not always easy for home computers to handle files of those sizes/formats either ...

drednm

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I just had a brainchild. I'm going to call Northeast Historic Film on Monday and see what they can do. They must have professional equipment that can do this project justice. I sure don't want to screw this up at this point and produce something that disappoints everyone. First step is to ensure we produce as good a visual as possible in the best format. Anything above and beyond is gravy.

Anyway, that's my Saturday-night thought.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Gagman 66

PostSat Jan 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Ed,

:? Sounds wonderful! See what you can find out about BROKEN CHAINS if possible?

Matthew White

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 7:39 am

drednm wrote:First step is to ensure we produce as good a visual as possible in the best format.

I second that!! :mrgreen:

westegg

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 am

A Nitrateville Production!

Daveismyhero

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 am

Not to threadjack, but is there a list of similar films that are also "available" like this at the LOC?
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

drednm

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 am

Daveismyhero wrote:Not to threadjack, but is there a list of similar films that are also "available" like this at the LOC?

Short answer seems to be no. They may have internal databases with such info they can refer to.......
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Daveismyhero

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 1:34 pm

drednm wrote:
Daveismyhero wrote:Not to threadjack, but is there a list of similar films that are also "available" like this at the LOC?

Short answer seems to be no. They may have internal databases with such info they can refer to.......

Well that's no good. But thank you for the knowledge! :)

Dave
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

drednm

PostMon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Daveismyhero wrote:
drednm wrote:

Well that's no good. But thank you for the knowledge! :)

Dave

The best way to approach it is to do a basic search thru LOC online catalog and pick out a few titles that look complete (5 reels of 5, etc). Then email Rosemary Hane at [email protected] and she'll do a more detailed search and let you know if there are restrictions, bad decomposition etc. If you know LOC has loaned a print to a festival et al. then it's a pretty good bet they have a decent print or one that's be restored.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 am

If you haven't contributed already, the site is

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/107 ... tment-1921

Ed has gotten more than enough money to fund, but if you want to but it's slipped your mind, it's certainly not too late.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

buster

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 9:22 am

I am glad to see this project is fully funded. Congratulations, great news. Now let's see if we can get some additional contributors and it makes it worthwhile for Ed to use the services of a duplication company like Rodney suggests. I also like the idea of someone contributing some artwork for this release. Great idea!
- Rodney

drednm

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 am

I've decided to buy the ProRes version on an external hard drive and having the film archive in Buscksport work with it to make a good DVD copy. I've had an offer of a film score from someone who accompanied the film at a festival somewhere. So if we can, we'll add that to the mix. Cost there depends on what they can handle.

I'm figuring this will cost around $250-300 for shipping between supplies, postal costs (some outside US).

Last on my list is artwork. If there's money left and if there's time, I'm sure we can come up with something.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Danny Burk

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 12:28 pm

There is a small illustration of the poster on Cinevent's website:

http://www.cinevent.com/cv2001an.html

Perhaps one of the folks involved has a larger version that could be available.

Rodney

PostSun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 pm

...and here's a larger one.

Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Nerves

PostTue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm

I just discovered this thread. Is it too late to contribute and get a DVD or will they be available for purchase at some time in the future? I did find a DVD on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENCHANTMENT-192 ... 1881965134" target="_blank

Is it the same project?

drednm

PostTue May 05, 2015 5:12 pm

That's a copy ..... I have no idea if he's selling it with Sosin's music, some other track, or mute....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
Previous

Return to Crowdfunding Projects