Film Posters

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

maliejandra

Film Posters

PostMon Jun 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Does anyone else here collect film posters?

If so, what do you do with them once you have them? I would love to frame more of that ones that I have, but since old posters are different sizes than modern day posters, I have a hard time finding frames, and custom jobs are expensive. I have heard that you can buy custom frame pieces (which I have had no success finding at craft stores-- they're generally the same sizes as the dimensions on standard frames) and go to a glass shop to get the plexi-glass cut.

I generally collect lobby cards versus larger posters since they're easier to find frames for, and I'd hate to think of collecting something and than stashing it in a closet never to be seen again.

What do you do with your posters?

LouieD

Re: Film Posters

silentfilm

PostMon Jun 02, 2014 8:01 pm

I don't generally collect them because they are expensive, and take up a lot of wall space. My wife also says that the colors must match the decor.

I've also found that with mattes you can use a different sized frame. This is not a one-sheet, but a window card (I think). I had director Budd Boetticher sign it.

But most of my posters are just rolled up in tubes.

mwalls

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 6:47 am

I collect lobby cards and old photos. I used to have about fifty of them displayed in two rooms downstairs, but took them down for two reasons. First, I was in the process of selling my house, and the Real Estate agent suggested they would detract from the appearance of the room (no taste but what can I say). Second, they were in cheap frames bought from local stores, so long term the cards and photos would have been damaged. So, I went with the route of putting them into Itoya books. You can buy them in sizes for lobby cards and also for photos. Granted, they are not in plain view, but I keep the books on the coffee table and they present quite nicely when flipping through them. These books also have the advantage of keeping the cards and photos away from light, which can damage them over time, as well as special holding material that will not damage the cards and photos (no acid or plastic residue). You can't buy from Itoya directly, but if you go to their website they have a list of distributors. Can't say the books are cheap, but not all that much though considering how much they hold and the quality.

For framing for display, you may want to try http://hollywoodposterframes.com/ . I have not bought any of their products before but I have spoken with them and they are knowledgeable about storage of collectibles. The important thing for them is that the card/poster not touch glass, and that the glass is UV protected.

Matthew

Ray Faiola

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 10:21 am

I put them in cardboard-backed sleeves - two-sided.

And they're on my walls, too:

Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

mwalls

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 11:45 am

Ray,

Nice collection. Would the ones on the floor be considered one sheets?

LouieD

PostTue Jun 03, 2014 1:55 pm

mwalls wrote:Ray,

Nice collection. Would the ones on the floor be considered one sheets?

Looks like one sheets on the left and inserts on the right.

Ray Faiola

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 6:31 am

Yes, correct - one-sheets and inserts. And I have several stacks of half-sheets in another area of the gallery. The FIREMAN SAVE MY CHILD poster hanging in my projection booth is a six-sheet. I have to say those photos are several years old and the stacks are encroaching!!!!

maliejandra

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 am

Very nice collection! Where do you get the plastic sleeves, and how do you hang them?

Archive

PostWed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 am

Bags Unlimited carries pretty much everything for poster storage/display.

oldposterho

PostThu Jun 05, 2014 9:20 am

As might be obvious from my screen name, yes, yes I do collect posters. I can vouch that if you're in the US, HollywoodPosterFrames.com is definitely the way to go for framing. Extremely knowledgeable, high quality, and low, low prices that can't be beat by almost anybody else. (I'm not a spokes-shill, just a very satisfied customer).

Alas, when you lean towards the obsessive-complusive part of the spectrum you do end up with posters that are not framed, and I'm no exception. Extras are indeed piled under the bed (I prefer to store them flat), and large linenbacked items are rolled in the closet. They are such a colossal pain in the neck to get at I created a website so that I would have an easier way to enjoy them (petersmovieposters.com for them's what's interested), and that really has been ideal, although you probably could do something similar and keep it off the interwebs, for your eyes only.

I really do commend those that can limit themselves to only owning what is on their walls - and I do know a couple of folks that have managed to maintain that discipline, selling one to replace a new purchase. Just not in my DNA though.

--Peter

Ray Faiola

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 5:15 am

oldposterho wrote:I really do commend those that can limit themselves to only owning what is on their walls - and I do know a couple of folks that have managed to maintain that discipline, selling one to replace a new purchase. Just not in my DNA though.

I only buy posters and paper (pressbooks, lobbies, sheet music, stills) for films I own in 16mm.

coolcatdaddy

PostMon Jun 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I casually collect posters, looking for particular titles or stars that I like, but also posters that I think are visually appealing or interesting as commercial art. Often, if you approach it that way, you can pick up posters for not much money - the collectable ones feature particular big stars or well-known classic movies.

I keep them either rolled in tubes or in archival storage artwork books from Itoya, as another post mentioned. I have some standard size frames in the house and switch them out every few months.

Scar Face

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Ray Faiola wrote:I put them in cardboard-backed sleeves - two-sided.

And they're on my walls, too:

hi ray what do u hear what do u say...could you explain your method? you buy a 27x48 cardboard and then what kind of sleeve are they in?

Marr&Colton

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 7:33 am

Since I have an old style home theatre, I have all my posters displayed in its lobby, foyer and throughout the house.
I mainly collect pre-1955 material, specializing in the gorgeous lithography and graphics of the 1930s and 40s.

I always keep an eye out for frames at garage and estate sales, since new ones are expensive.

For my larger or unusual size posters, such as 14x36 inserts or 41x80 three sheets, I build my own frames--very easy if you have a mitre saw and basic carpentry skills.

Posters don't have to be expensive, if you shop for the lower priced lesser known titles on eBay, etc.

I've branched out to lobby cards, window cards, small da-glo banners, inserts, one sheets, three sheets and 24x72 marquee banners, which I rotate displaying. I do sell off extra material occasionally to keep the money recycling in the hobby.

foyerdisplay2.jpg
foyerdisplay2.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 4304 times

stairwell3sheet.jpg
stairwell3sheet.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 4304 times

Ray Faiola

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 5:20 am

Scar Face wrote:hi ray what do u hear what do u say...could you explain your method? you buy a 27x48 cardboard and then what kind of sleeve are they in?

As noted above, Bags Unlimited sells sets of cardboard (and other materials) backings. And they sell poly sleeves. They sell for various sizes - inserts, half-sheets, one-sheets etc. They now even have poly sleeves for three-sheets (but you have to tape three one-sheet cardboards together for backing).

Ray Faiola

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 12:28 pm

Updated photo.

wingate

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Many years ago my bosses wife decided to redecorate our room with a dreadful shade of green.We put up film posters to try and hide it but she had them taken down.I left the firm not to long after.

MaryGH

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 5:28 pm

That's next in my collection - expanding to lobby cards and posters even though I have limited space for storage (we have white walls in our apartment so I guess I could frame one or two). Lots of great ideas in this thread.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

mwalls

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 6:00 pm

MaryGH wrote:That's next in my collection - expanding to lobby cards and posters even though I have limited space for storage (we have white walls in our apartment so I guess I could frame one or two). Lots of great ideas in this thread.

I collect lobby cards, and used to display my lobby cards in frames. However, I found out that unless the frame is a high quality one, framing lobby cards can over time damage them. I took them all down and have since kept my lobby cards in 11x14 Itoya books. They display nicely in these books, although certainly not as prominently as framed on the wall.

The Itoya books also are supposed to maintain the condition and appearance of the lobby cards long term.

Matthew

Marr&Colton

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 4:53 am

Personally, I like to display posters, etc. as they were originally displayed in theatres---in frames in foyer and lobby areas as well as in other places. When I owned my own theatre years ago, I noticed posters and lobby cards exposed to the sun did fade, so none of my display areas have direct sunlight. I seldom keep the same poster or card on display for more than several weeks, since I rotate material just as a theatre would. Since I have guests weekly for my home theatre shows, they can see different material as well as posters related to current and coming attractions. It is great to have paper material on movies you have on hand.

As mentioned earlier, I build my own special poster frames as well as buy frames at garage and estate sales.
When not displayed, my material is gently stored in a large cabinet.

MaryGH

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 5:23 am

mwalls wrote:
MaryGH wrote:That's next in my collection - expanding to lobby cards and posters even though I have limited space for storage (we have white walls in our apartment so I guess I could frame one or two). Lots of great ideas in this thread.

I collect lobby cards, and used to display my lobby cards in frames. However, I found out that unless the frame is a high quality one, framing lobby cards can over time damage them. I took them all down and have since kept my lobby cards in 11x14 Itoya books. They display nicely in these books, although certainly not as prominently as framed on the wall.

The Itoya books also are supposed to maintain the condition and appearance of the lobby cards long term.

Matthew

Itoya books - thank you for the great idea and that is probably the best way for storage purposes - I have a collection of arcade and exhibit cards I keep in an acid-free photo book.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

rudyfan

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 11:20 am

I use Itoya books for stills and lobby cards. Posters not displayed are linen backed and rolled in acid free paper.

Scar Face

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 12:00 am

Ray Faiola wrote:
Scar Face wrote:hi ray what do u hear what do u say...could you explain your method? you buy a 27x48 cardboard and then what kind of sleeve are they in?

As noted above, Bags Unlimited sells sets of cardboard (and other materials) backings. And they sell poly sleeves. They sell for various sizes - inserts, half-sheets, one-sheets etc. They now even have poly sleeves for three-sheets (but you have to tape three one-sheet cardboards together for backing).

Hey all I can seem to find is this: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3003/polyester-mylar-sleeve-4mil-no-flap
90 bucks for 10 yikes.....isn't there some kind of cheap plastic one sheet size option I can put them in and then stick to the wall?

edit: Are this the ones where you just slide the one sheet in on the type, it's not permanent or anything like those sticky ones? Any difference between polypropylene & polyethylene? anyone use these?

Ray Faiola

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 1:52 pm

Scar Face

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks I got some. But they actually don't look very good hanging up in them. How bad is it to hang with the HandiTack sticky stuff straight on the back corners to the wall? Is it a death sentence? I have some cool one sheets nothing crazy but like an original Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye that I would love to have up and a re of 20,000 years in Sing Sing that is beautiful. Would they be ruined after hanging them with handitack?

Ray Faiola

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 4:11 am

I've never hung them that way. The backs/bags are for storage. They don't really work for display. If you want to hang, you need to frame or linen-back. I also hang them au natural, using existing pin holes.

Scar Face

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 am

Does nyone know for sure from trial if the standard 27 x 41 old movie one sheets fit in this 27 x 41 poster frame? https://www.ebay.com/itm/111938455649

Scar Face

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 am

I have a Scarface one sheet from 1932 that's 28 x 41. Where can I find a cheap poster that will fit?

Scar Face

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Actually I meant to say I have a Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye one sheet that size from 1950. But I have a Scarface on sheet from 32 that is 28 x 41. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap poster frame this size?
Next

Return to Collecting and Preservation