Betty Boop on Blu

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

David Alp

Re: Betty Boop on Blu

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Can't wait! I will be first in the queue to get the blu-ray! :D

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 8:04 am

Salty Dog wrote:It's not "maybe one day will be on Blu-ray"...this is Thunderbean, they are still a very active releasing company, and if they say it will come out later this year, it will.

Steve at Thunderbean is a great guy, I finally got to meet him in person at Cinefest this year, and he apologized for the length of time it's taking to get Technicolor Dreams & B&W Nightmares completed, but if it takes a little extra time to get it right (and as a small, self-releasing company you're not desperate to meet a street date) might as well do what it takes to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Jim Reid

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 am

The Thunderbean stuff is definately worth the wait! The Gulliver blu ray was wonderful! I can hardly wait for this next one!

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Jim Reid wrote:The Thunderbean stuff is definately worth the wait! The Gulliver blu ray was wonderful! I can hardly wait for this next one!

Over on the IAD animation forum, Steve tossed out a couple of other ideas for future projects, I'd love to have a hi-res copy of Hoppity/Mr. Bug Goes to Town. The copy TCM showed a while back looked as good as I've seen it (never seen it on film, mind you).

Private Snafu (Blu-ray)
Lou Bunin presents Alice in Wonderland and other magical shorts (working title) (Blu-ray/DVD combo)

Now, here's other possibles (this is where I need suggestions):

An all Van Beuren Blu-ray (many from original negs)
PD B/W Warners shorts not released on Golden Collections (most I can only get in 16mm... a DVD or blu-ray?)
Hansel and Gretel (the Michael Myerberg puppet film from the early 50s)
Raggedy Ann and Andy (possible license from Fox)
Cultoons volume 4
Rainbow Parades (Blu-ray with whole series)
Hoppity Goes to Town (possible license)

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:22 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Jim Reid wrote:The Thunderbean stuff is definately worth the wait! The Gulliver blu ray was wonderful! I can hardly wait for this next one!

Over on the IAD animation forum, Steve tossed out a couple of other ideas for future projects, I'd love to have a hi-res copy of Hoppity/Mr. Bug Goes to Town. The copy TCM showed a while back looked as good as I've seen it (never seen it on film, mind you).

[quote]Private Snafu (Blu-ray)
Lou Bunin presents Alice in Wonderland and other magical shorts (working title) (Blu-ray/DVD combo)

Now, here's other possibles (this is where I need suggestions):

An all Van Beuren Blu-ray (many from original negs)
PD B/W Warners shorts not released on Golden Collections (most I can only get in 16mm... a DVD or blu-ray?)
Hansel and Gretel (the Michael Myerberg puppet film from the early 50s)
Raggedy Ann and Andy (possible license from Fox)
Cultoons volume 4
Rainbow Parades (Blu-ray with whole series)
Hoppity Goes to Town (possible license)

Also, in a separate thread Steve posted towards the end of June that disc mastering/replication was still underway, but that the test discs he'd seen looked very good. Now it's a month later, so hopefully he'll have the finished product soon and ready to ship out. I can't wait to see a remastered copy of The Sunshine Makers.

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Looks like that list is old news, Private Snafu on blu-ray is actually happening, with some new material that's surfaced recently.

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 am

Too bad none of the discs include this bit of Fleischer/Boop (and Ethel Merman!) weirdness:

Note: topless Betty mermaid possibly NSFW

BixB

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am

I'd love to see a collection of Fleischer Screens released. Particularly the ones with celebrity guests like this one.
Joe Busam

Rob Farr

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Sing You Sinners is another great one. If Olive doesn't put them out, maybe Thunderbean?
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

bigshot

PostThu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 am

Steve has told me that the Terry B&W cartoons are possible licenses too. But he thinks few people would buy them. I know I sure would. There are some real unknown treasures in the Terry library.

oldposterho

PostSat Aug 09, 2014 9:22 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:Too bad none of the discs include this bit of Fleischer/Boop (and Ethel Merman!) weirdness:

Wow, that's quite a transition jump between Betty and Ethel, makes 2001's bone to satellite seem downright subtle. Thanks for posting this.

--Peter

Daniel Eagan

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 8:56 am

Read it and weep: "Betty Boop Movie in the Works with Simon Cowell"

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/betty ... 201278204/

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Daniel Eagan wrote:Read it and weep: "Betty Boop Movie in the Works with Simon Cowell"

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/betty ... 201278204/" target="_blank

Seeing those two names together in the same headline is enough to make me weep, who needs to click and torture themselves?

Salty Dog

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Bill Coleman

CliffClaven

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 11:25 pm

A bit of silver lining: A big movie adaptation, no matter its quality, often makes the original a bit more marketable.

The forgettable Nancy Drew feature got Warner to release the four prewar B pix in one nice package. The Green Hornet reboot led to handsome restored versions of the serials from VCI. And back in VHS days, Val Kilmer as "The Saint" brought us George Sanders as "The Saint".

With any luck, a ballyhooed Boop movie will inspire someone to put out the rest of the shorts.

David Alp

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I don't know much about BETTY BOOP because she wasn't shown much here in England; (it was usually all the Disney cartoons; or Scooby Doo/Dastardly And Mutley/Penelope Pit-stop etc) I realise that "POOR CINDERELLA" was in colour; but what was the first 3-Colour Cartoon she made?

I read up on "Poor Cinderella" and they only gave her red hair to give the cartoon more colour apparently?? Instead of plain black. But really she had black hair! Her shop at Universal Studios Florida is awesome!! We spent ages in there!

Paul Penna

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 6:13 pm

David Alp wrote:I realise that "POOR CINDERELLA" was in colour; but what was the first 3-Colour Cartoon she made?

That was the only Fleischer-era one made in color.
Last edited by Paul Penna on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BixB

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 am

POOR CINDERELLA was photographed in Cinecolor which was actually a two color process.
Joe Busam

Christopher Jacobs

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 12:23 am

And red hair would have shown up as black on orthochromatic black-and-white film. Just look at Clara Bow!

I do like Betty's hair better as black, however. There were never any three-strip Technicolor Betty Boop films ever made, but there were some nice Max Fleischer Popeye special 2-reel cartoons in 3-strip Technicolor.

David Alp

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 7:33 am

Christopher Jacobs wrote:And red hair would have shown up as black on orthochromatic black-and-white film. Just look at Clara Bow!

I do like Betty's hair better as black, however. There were never any three-strip Technicolor Betty Boop films ever made, but there were some nice Max Fleischer Popeye special 2-reel cartoons in 3-strip Technicolor.
]

None at all in 3-Strip?? That's a bit sad! So why did Betty Boop stop making films? (LOL I'm talking as if she was a real actress hee hee hee :lol: ) But seriously; why did she stop? Or did someone else take her over?? And is she still making films today?? She must have made SOME in colour apart from the "Poor Cinderella"? I mean she is an icon!

Oh btw, I LOVE her voice!! Almost childish! Who did the voice? At the "Betty Boop Shop" in Universal Studio's Florida they had a modern recording of her singing "I wanna Be Loved By You" on a loop -- but it sounded like the Marilyn Monroe version; except it was done Betty Boop style!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT:

Oh My Gosh!!!

I went to find some Betty Boop cartoons on YouTube, as was in a "Betty" mood; and I find three Hidden Mickey Mouses all together in one scene in her first movie "Boop - Oop - A - Doop" - at 01:11 - Then at 02:37 you can see the back of his head!!!!! He's hidden all over the place!!!! How'd they get away with that??

A question? Why were these cartoons started with: "U.M & M Corp T.V. Presents" ?? I thought TV came in in the 1950's?

Christopher Jacobs

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 am

Too many questions to answer here.

You need to read through the comments at http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=224814
as well as
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Betty-Boo ... 78/#Review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Betty-Boo ... 65/#Review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Betty-Boo ... 01/#Review

and of course remember that Google and Wikipedia actually can be your friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Boop
http://justbettyboop.net/History.htm
http://bettyboop.com/biography/

Also, online video copies of Betty Boop cartoons (or almost anything, for that matter) bear very little resemblance to seeing them on 35mm film or well-mastered Blu-ray editions.

BixB

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 12:10 pm

David Alp wrote:
Christopher Jacobs wrote:And red hair would have shown up as black on orthochromatic black-and-white film. Just look at Clara Bow!

]

None at all in 3-Strip?? That's a bit sad! So why did Betty Boop stop making films? (LOL I'm talking as if she was a real actress hee hee hee :lol: ) But seriously; why did she stop? Or did someone else take her over?? And is she still making films today?? She must have made SOME in colour apart from the "Poor Cinderella"? I mean she is an icon!

Oh btw, I LOVE her voice!! Almost childish! Who did the voice? At the "Betty Boop Shop" in Universal Studio's Florida they had a modern recording of her singing "I wanna Be Loved By You" on a loop -- but it sounded like the Marilyn Monroe version; except it was done Betty Boop style!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT:

Oh My Gosh!!!

I went to find some Betty Boop cartoons on YouTube, as was in a "Betty" mood; and I find three Hidden Mickey Mouses all together in one scene in her first movie "Boop - Oop - A - Doop" - at 01:11 - Then at 02:37 you can see the back of his head!!!!! He's hidden all over the place!!!! How'd they get away with that??

A question? Why were these cartoons started with: "U.M & M Corp T.V. Presents" ?? I thought TV came in in the 1950's?

It's true that POOR CINDERELLA is her only color theatrical film. She's even in BW on WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT. There was a terrible made for TV special about 30 years ago where she appeared in color. The series concluded in 1939. Her popularity was slipping and when the Fleischer studio moved from New York to Miami Florida, Mae Questel who provided Betty's voice refused to make the move south so it was decided to just end it.

Those UM&M title cards are replacements put on the prints by the TV distributor in 1957. All references to Paramount Pictures were eliminated with the exception of the telltale Paramount mountain that appears in the background behind the titles. Sadly these replacements were made to the original 35mm negatives and the originals discarded so with the exception of MINNIE THE MOOCHER and POOR CINDERELLA, none of the original opening title cards and end titles are known to survive.
Joe Busam

David Alp

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 7:42 am

Hi Joe!
Is this the movie you are talking about??? "Betty Boop's Hollywood Mystery Movie" (1989) ?? I have just watched it... And whilst it has its merits with the way they captured the general "Look" of the 1930's Fleischer Betty Boop cartoons; the voices were completely "OFF", and Betty doesn't sound like 30's Betty!!! She sounds like someone else totally different! And after a while it just becomes annoying!!!!! Although it doesn't have the magic of the original Fleischer films, I was really surprised at how they COPIED/CLONED the look of the '30's cartoons! i.e. with the little triangle cut out of the pupil in the eye; Betty's garter on her leg; Betty's same hair-style and same head shape; and all of the "extra's" (if that is what they are called?) were animals! Little mice and kittens etc; and of course the cars and the phone's were also "alive" in that they had faces, like in the original 30's movies.

Christopher; thanks for those links. I am going to have a good read!

BixB

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

That's not the one I was referring to, David. Actually I wasn't aware of the one you posted. The one I was referring to was from 1985 entitled The Romance Of Betty Boop. It was produced by Bill Melendez who directed the Peanuts specials in the 60's. It was really awful. The one you posted is actually better.
Joe Busam

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 4:48 pm

There was also 1980's Betty Boop for President (made with re-coloured footage from original cartoons). From what I know of history, her campaign wasn't a successful one.

David Alp

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 7:36 am

Oh that Presidential one looks way too long!! I can't watch that MUCH of Betty. She is okay in small doses. But Not one hour and sixteen minutes of it! Plus its a bit naughty of them to have taken the original animation and then changed the dialogue! That isn't on at all! I don't include that as a proper Betty Boop theatrical film!

Anyway I've been reading up on Betty; and it seems as if the pre-code Betty Boop's are much better, and more popular than the post-code movies. A lot of change happened to Betty up to and including 1939. She lost her hoop ear-rings, she lost her garter, her dresses became much longer and conservative and in one cartoon she even had a bunch of kids! So was in fact married, as oppose to being a 16 year old girl. (Betty was supposed to be 16 all through her career). The most unusual fact I found out was that Betty was originally a an animal! A goat?? In her first film she even still has the ears hanging down? The ears were eventually changed morphed into hupe ear-rings and Betty got her identity! (I wondered why Betty was braying like an animal in her first movie?? Very bizarre)

By the way, I clicked onto one Betty Boop movie; and it was in colour! And I thought, "Hmmm the guys over at Nitrateville said Betty Boop was only in B&W, however I later found out it was colourized! What do we think of colourization of Betty's cartoons? It's not the same as colourization of classic films so I can just about tolerate it; but I would have to see it being done very well.

BixB

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 8:30 am

The problem with the colorized Betty's (and Fleischer Popeye's as well) is that they didn't employ computers to add the hues as they did with live action films. Instead they traced each frame and inked and painted new cels and copied the backgrounds as color renderings. These were then rephotographed. The inking, painting and backgrounds were done very quickly and very sloppily. So the original art used in the black and white cartoons is not longer seen. During fade outs or dissolves in the originals, the workers tracing the transitions had no visual reference. As a result during fades and dissolves, the action comes to a complete halt. Also, in instances where live action performers appeared, those portions were completely cut out. In I'LL BE GLAD WHEN YOUR DEAD, YOU RASCAL YOU, Louis Armstrong's superimposed head is seen chasing Bimbo and Koko. In the recolored version, there being chased by..... nothing. The animation camera work is every slipshod as well. If you look closely at the "walrus" character dancing in MINNIE THE MOOCHER, the operator's hand actually appears for one frame. In short, these things are a total mess and should be avoided at all costs
Joe Busam

David Alp

PostFri Aug 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Just watching Betty in "Boop-Oop-a-Doop" (1932) -- I think that the best actress who did Betty's voice was Mae Questel. Is everyone in agreement here?

David Alp

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 8:16 am

I have been watching A LOT more of Betty Boop over the weeks; and a question!! Obviously we are all aware of the fact that Betty was changed when the Code came in in 1934 and was made to wear longer dresses -- but I want to pose a question to all those Betty Boop fans who know all the tiniest bits of trivia minutiae! -- When was Betty's VERY LAST cartoon when we saw her mini-dress; sexy garter and low-cut strapless top???????

bigshot

PostMon Oct 06, 2014 1:16 am

The fourth Betty Boop blu-ray is pretty disappointing. WAY too many later cartoons with Grampy and Pudgy (well I guess folks who are interested in cartoons with cannibals might like Zula Hula, but I don't). Worst of all, Snow White is very badly cropped with lots of action at the top of the screen missing. Very sad. Poor Cinderella looks great (but again, it's a pretty funky cartoon). Not nearly as good as the other three entries in the series.
PreviousNext

Return to Talkie News