Standard Casting Directory

Discussion related to mediahistoryproject.org. More general discussion of topics should go to main boards.
  • Author

David Pierce

Standard Casting Directory

PostWed May 28, 2014 8:00 pm

We scanned a seven issues of the Standard Casting Directory (in one bound volume) for February through July of 1925 from the Karl Thiede collection.

http://archive.org/details/standardcastingd03unse" target="_blank"

I have access to many more of these volumes, but wanted to get some feedback first, as they have a lot of pages.

Is this useful?

David

mndean

Re: Standard Casting Directory

PostWed May 28, 2014 8:10 pm

I thought it was useful.

Rick Lanham

PostWed May 28, 2014 9:09 pm

I just used it to find photos of Walter James, whom I'm researching.

So Thank You very much.

Rick
Last edited by Rick Lanham on Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greta de groat

PostWed May 28, 2014 9:38 pm

They are quite fascinating!

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Brooksie

PostWed May 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Wonderfully useful. In fact, I've come across some of these in various archives and thought how handy they are. Particularly in the case of the more obscure players, it is nearly impossible to uncover information about what agent represented who. Information on agents is in general very hard to find.

In short, if your question was 'is this worth doing', my answer is an unequivocal yes.

Frederica

PostThu May 29, 2014 8:45 am

Brooksie wrote:Wonderfully useful. In fact, I've come across some of these in various archives and thought how handy they are. Particularly in the case of the more obscure players, it is nearly impossible to uncover information about what agent represented who. Information on agents is in general very hard to find.

In short, if your question was 'is this worth doing', my answer is an unequivocal yes.

Ditto, what she said. The information on agents and photographers specializing in publicity work is very useful. How many years' worth do you have?
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Frederica

PostThu May 29, 2014 8:59 am

Oh hey, I'm loving the trained animal section. "Wonderful Wanda, a thoroughly trained picture dog--plays Collies, Malamute, Shepherd, cur, or German Police. Doubles for any breed. Character Dog Actor."
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Turpinutz

PostThu May 29, 2014 10:45 am

WOW! Nice additions to Archive.org, David. THANK YOU!
I check this site everyday to see what's new and there's usually a long wait between new additions. But often always worth the wait.

And of course references like these are very useful!

However, my suggestion would be to break up the issues a little more. As monthly issues, they seem repetitious from one issue to the next and the differences and the changes are minor. Posting every other issue (or every third or fourth) of other years would be a great start; and, IMHO, the earlier the better. Eventually, over time, you can fill in the gaps with the held-back odd-issues.

Thanks so much for this contribution, David.

Steve Rydzewski

rudyfan

PostThu May 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Oh now that is fabulous! I just found some very useful information.

Johno

PostWed Jun 10, 2015 5:39 pm

David,
I was doing some research looking for other Standard casting directories. I have one dated October 1925 number 9.These books are becoming more rare every year, and if you have others, I think it could be of value to researchers, if not just for the historical value. I realize I am suggesting you take a significant amount of your time to do this, but I ran into your post while researching a name stickered to my copy. I did not get my answer, but I noticed there are others interested in viewing them.
I also have a Motion Picture Studio Directory 1918 edition, filling with silent motion picture actors. Very interesting. I may scan this one as you have.

Thank you for the books you have provided, and hope to see more of them.

JohnO'

Richard Finegan

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 2:09 am

David,
Yes please keep scanning these. Very interesting and useful.
I have one from Nov. 1929 and another from July 1936,if you can use them.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Jan 04, 2017 8:46 pm

If anyone has a standard casting directory from 1922 to 1924 and can you pretty please peak inside the character men category and look to see what current and or previous releases that Mark Hamilton appeared in during this time period it would be appreciated.

These publications during these early years are becoming rare by the year and I am doing filmography research on this actor beyond what lantern and other sources have to offer.

Thanks,
Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

MaryGH

PostThu Jan 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Glanced through that Feb-July 1925 issue - has lots of great info and photos - would love to see August - Dec 1925 plus anything later than that for my research on Tom Tyler
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Hamilton's Grandson

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi Mary,

If you were curious about what information is in the following Casting Directories after 1925, here is what is listed in each regarding Tom Tyler in the few I have in my library.

March 1927: Cyclone of the Range, F.B.O. Listed in index back of directory, no other listing in directory or photo

November 1927, filmography listed in players index in back of directory, The Sonora Kid, Cyclone of the Range, Splitting the Breeze, The Gambler's Game, Flying U Ranch, The Desert Pirate, When the Law Rides, Phantom of the Range (All F.B.O.), no other photo or listings of him in this directory.

March 1928, listed in index in back of directory with the following filmography: Mystery Valley F.B.O, Terror Mountain,F.B.O., Hearts and Hoofs, F.B.O, The Eagles Talons, F.B.O, no other photos or listing in this directory

December 1929, not listed in this directory

Players Directory 1937, Tom Tyler listed with photo page 119 with his phone # CR-12111, Films listed: Last Outlawm RKO-Radio, Rip Roarin' Buckaroo, Victory, Phantom of the Range, Victory. Management =William Meiklejohn, Inc.

You probably already knew all of this but at least you know for the above casting directories how they have him listed or not listed at all.

MaryGH

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 9:26 am

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:Hi Mary,

If you were curious about what information is in the following Casting Directories after 1925, here is what is listed in each regarding Tom Tyler in the few I have in my library.

March 1927: Cyclone of the Range, F.B.O. Listed in index back of directory, no other listing in directory or photo

November 1927, filmography listed in players index in back of directory, The Sonora Kid, Cyclone of the Range, Splitting the Breeze, The Gambler's Game, Flying U Ranch, The Desert Pirate, When the Law Rides, Phantom of the Range (All F.B.O.), no other photo or listings of him in this directory.

March 1928, listed in index in back of directory with the following filmography: Mystery Valley F.B.O, Terror Mountain,F.B.O., Hearts and Hoofs, F.B.O, The Eagles Talons, F.B.O, no other photos or listing in this directory

December 1929, not listed in this directory

Players Directory 1937, Tom Tyler listed with photo page 119 with his phone # CR-12111, Films listed: Last Outlaw RKO-Radio, Rip Roarin' Buckaroo, Victory, Phantom of the Range, Victory. Management =William Meiklejohn, Inc.

You probably already knew all of this but at least you know for the above casting directories how they have him listed or not listed at all.

Hi Dana:

Thank you for sharing, yes, I have a complete list of Tom's silent films he made for FBO - including a list of film titles that never manifested into films or either got retitled, which include:

The Gambler's Game
Mystery Valley
Hearts and Hoofs
The Eagles Talons

As far as I know Tom's IMDB filmography record seems to be complete for the most part after having spoken to some more knowledgable fans of his work. I do thank you for mentioning those film titles which never made it to screen as I do not know how often this topic shows up on this forum (I have not seen any to date) but I feel is important to those doing film archive research.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 pm

It does make the research more intensive when the original titles are not what the film was released as.

If I run across any other information on Tyler I will post it on this site.

Thanks,
Dana

Return to Media History Digital Library