Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

drednm

Irwin Corey Dies at 102

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/arts ... -well&_r=0

Odd little man who had a unique comedy style. Sometimes he was very funny; sometimes not. But hey, he appeared on Broadway, in films and television. I still haven't.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 pm

And he received a National Book Award!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

JFK

Irwin Corey Dies at 102

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Worth checking out - as more than just curiosities - are the soundtrack of the Broadway show Flahooley - a Harburg show he was in with Barbara Cook, and, if you can find it, a recording made of an appearance at Brandeis University (mentioned in this interview) with, among others, Fred Allen and S J Perelman.
Last edited by JFK on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drednm

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 am

The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

R Michael Pyle

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 am

I remember his appearances on the Joey Bishop and the Johnny Carson late night shows. The word 'quirky' is apt; but - he could be funny...sometimes his one-liners were hilarious (though at other times they weren't)...

dr.giraud

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:39 am

Mike Gebert wrote:And he received a National Book Award!

Who's Pynchon gonna send to Oslo now if he wins a Nobel Prize?
dr. giraud

R Michael Pyle

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 8:56 am

Jane Pauley just did a memorial on "Sunday Morning", and she showed a clip of Corey on the Dave Letterman show from 1983. It was very funny.

wich2

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 1:07 pm

drednm wrote:The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.

Used to see him in my old neighborhood, the East 20s. He, like similar NY character Al Lewis, was hardcore, old school, Hard Left!

boblipton

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 1:10 pm

wich2 wrote:
drednm wrote:The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.

Used to see him in my old neighborhood, the East 20s. He, like similar NY character Al Lewis, was hardcore, old school, Hard Left!

You didn't want Al Lewis putting the bite on you!

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

wich2

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Ya better BELIEVE it!!!

Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

dr.giraud

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 pm

boblipton wrote:
wich2 wrote:

You didn't want Al Lewis putting the bite on you!

Bob

In the 90s, Al Lewis ran for NY governor on the Green Party ticket. I was walking by a cafe here in Albany where he was to do a campaign appearance. I was too late for the main presentation, because I looked through the window and there was Al. He had some hapless college kid who'd probably said something stupid cornered, lecturing him and waving his finger about an inch from the kid's nose. Only Charlotte Rae could've saved that poor hippie from the wrath of Al, and she was nowhere in sight.
dr. giraud

CoffeeDan

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 5:12 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Jane Pauley just did a memorial on "Sunday Morning", and she showed a clip of Corey on the Dave Letterman show from 1983. It was very funny.

In fact, it's HILARIOUS:

The good professor taught me one of the cardinal rules of comedy: Say anything that comes into your head, but be absolutely serious when you're saying it. RIP, Your Foremostness!

Robert Moulton

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 am

I was just about to post that Letterman clip and now see it is already here. This is apparently Corey's only appearance with Letterman. It is easy to see why, Letterman is clearly disenchanted with his performance. My guess is that that is a result of Corey choosing to not interact with Dave and instead just face the audience. So Letterman has nothing to interact with. Too bad. Not sure why Corey went that way with Letterman, in most interviews he interacts more directly with the interviewer.

CoffeeDan

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Robert, Robert, Robert -- you just don't get it . . .

I don't want to over-analyze this clip, but there's more going on than seen at first glance. Letterman is clearly delighted with Corey's performance. At this point in his career, Dave is smart enough to know that Corey is the most direct of his comic ancestors (both of them gained a certain fame by toying with the late night talk format), so he just steps back and lets Corey go until he says "What was the question?" and then Dave steers him in another direction. If you watch carefully, Dave is playing up Corey's performance by pretending to be disaffected. But he's definitely in on the joke, as you can see by their exchange at the end of the clip.

Return to Talkie News