Casting a New Eye

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Casting a New Eye

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Casting a New Eye

The goal of this post is to encourage eveyone to give a little more attention, if you’re not already, to your eye care…

I am, I think, above the average age of the visitors here. I’ve been wearing glasses a long time. For many years my vision was stable and the choice to get new glasses was mostly to take advantage of newer materials, to have thinner lenses.

A few years ago the examiner told me that I had the beginnings of cataracts. I was reassuringly told, “Everyone gets them, if you live long enough.” Not to worry.

The next year was about the same, and that someday, something will have to be done. Also I was told I had another condition, called Fuchs’ Dystrophy and that I should put an ointment in my eyes at night time, to slow its progress.

Life comes at you fast and the next visit they informed me that if my vision can’t be corrected to a certain standard, the state government will have to be told I am not safe to drive. Hmm.

Even then, I put off any surgery as there were some family trips coming up (last year).

I had cataract surgery on the worst eye in January. Because of the Fuchs’, there was an additional corneal procedure at the same time. I’m still recovering from this.

The other eye is not changed yet. Because of this I can report the difference between the two eyes. The operated eye’s vision is about 20/40 unaided. Amazing.

But another change is the clarity. Although the difference is not quite “night and day,” it is like “hazy, yellowy dusk and day.” The uncorrected eye puts a yellowish cast on everything, as well as reduced sharpness.

I now realize that sometime in the past I was not seeing some of the differences in films that others were noting. This is because I was seeing everything degraded, and had gotten used to it.

So, yes, buy the latest film restorations, get the best equipment you can afford, but don’t forget another important factor, your eyesight.

Stop traveller and cast an eye,
As you are now so once was I,
Prepare in time make no delay
For youth and time will pass away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract_surgery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuchs%27_dystrophy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corneal_t ... AEK.2FDMEK

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

silentfilm

Re: Casting a New Eye

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Sorry to hear about this. You don't always appreciate your eyes until you don't have them anymore.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks Bruce. Yes, but my one eye is now better than it's been in decades, really. It's amazing what is done now. What I didn't mention is that the second procedure, on the cornea, is a new one, only having been done for a decade or so.

Also, there are youtube videos showing how the surgery is done, although I'm glad I didn't watch them ahead of time.

I'll learn at the end of April when the other eye can be done…

Rick

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi Rick,

I was pleased to see your promotion of REGULAR eye care on this blog this am. I spend every week per year at my office promoting this as a practitioner and hope you are having DSEK or DMEK for Fuch's instead of the old penetrating Keratoplasty. We definitely are seeing major changes in surgical eye care options now than when I first finished my education/training.

Good luck with your visual recovery!
Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Rick Lanham

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks Dana! Yes, just a thin layer of cells on the back of the cornea were replaced (for Fuchs'). I think DSEK is the name.

I check my vision on a wall chart at home. Today I was almost 20/25 for the operated eye (missed one letter). My measurements at home have been similar enough to what's measured at the doctor to continue doing it. More importantly, it shows me the progress that has happened.

Not a substitute for going to the eye doctor though.

Rick

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 pm

I am happy for you. I will have to keep my eye on you.

Sorry about the pun.

Dana

Jim Roots

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 am

I'm in the same boat, Rick. (Probably around the same age, too.) I had to start using FML drops in one eye about five years ago when it became allergic to its own bacteria. A side-effect of FML is the development of cataracts. My cataract has developed with amazing slowness; the eye surgeon, who has a reputation for being knife-happy, belied his rep by putting off surgery for two years. I'm scheduled to get it done in October, which is kind of an unfortunate month to pick because it has both my birthday and my wedding anniversary in it.

The biggest challenge for me, and probably for all of you out there, is to remember to give your eyes a regular rest, especially when you're on a computer or smartphone. The old saying, "Every 20 minutes you should look 20 feet in the distance for 20 seconds" is almost impossible to keep in mind when you're reading posts on NitrateVille!

Jim

Hamilton's Grandson

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 7:49 pm

The proteins secreted by the bacteria also cause the hypersensitivity reactions that lead to ocular inflammation.

Good luck with your treatment.

PS Did you know that half the world's population are expected to be myopic by 2050 due to visual stress at the near point from the near point devices that the new generation(s) are using daily and too excessively. Breaks are definitely important.

Return to Useful Info