Daredevils of The Red Circle coming on Blu-ray...

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

jtc

Re: Daredevils of The Red Circle coming on Blu-ray...

PostSun May 07, 2017 12:00 pm

Here's my good friend Len Klein in a short film about DVD commentaries:

Tim
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Jim Reid

PostTue May 09, 2017 2:04 pm

R. Cat wrote:Mornin' Jim. Still lament missing last night's screening. How'd the showing go?

We're still at the Dallas Writer's Conference. Been busy here. Rox gives her keynote address after lunch today.

Cheers,
Cat

Small turnout and nobody liked the feature. Oh, well.

R. Cat

PostTue May 09, 2017 2:33 pm

The commentary discussion is certainly worthwhile. When it comes to bonus materials the main thing is providing something that folk's find interesting and appropriate to the film. KINO deserves credit for providing extras. Hopefully we'll see trailers and possibly a commentary on The Adventures of Captain Marvel. That character has enough history that it could support a documentary, but I'll be happy as a clam out of chowder for whatever extras KL decides to include.

Now, here's a bit more Daredevils of The Red Circle info! :D

Finally, we have a review with screenshots. Brian Orndorf at Blu-Ray.com has posted a solid review with better screen captures than I was able to provide via iPad. IMO, Brian's take is pretty much on target. The 4 of 5 star rating on video presentation and sound takes into account the nearly 80 year old film elements that the restoration team worked with.

If you were holding back purchasing this title to be sure it's worth the price of admission, here's the evidence. Without further adieu, the linked review...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Daredevil ... 93/#Review

More news as it ripens! :mrgreen:

Robert W

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:17 am

I am enjoying the hell out of this ( especially the circus daredevils running around in tailored suits and ties all the time ) but I was surprised to see blu-ray.com only give it 4/5. Aside from some minor replacement footage from 16mm, this is a solid 5 to me, considering the studios likely never spent a great deal of time polishing their serials and shorts compared to feature releases.
Can anyone explain why 39013 doesn't speak to Granville in his own voice when he's disguised as Granville and taunting him in the cell ? :lol:

R. Cat

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:47 am

Robert W wrote:I am enjoying the hell out of this ( especially the circus daredevils running around in tailored suits and ties all the time ) but I was surprised to see blu-ray.com only give it 4/5. Aside from some minor replacement footage from 16mm, this is a solid 5 to me, considering the studios likely never spent a great deal of time polishing their serials and shorts compared to feature releases.
Can anyone explain why 39013 doesn't speak to Granville in his own voice when he's disguised as Granville and taunting him in the cell ? :lol:

I suspect 39013 is a method criminal. :wink:

Scott Eckhardt

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Robert W wrote:I am enjoying the hell out of this ( especially the circus daredevils running around in tailored suits and ties all the time ) but I was surprised to see blu-ray.com only give it 4/5. Aside from some minor replacement footage from 16mm, this is a solid 5 to me, considering the studios likely never spent a great deal of time polishing their serials and shorts compared to feature releases.

I believe Granville said to 39013 that one day he would slip up and speak in his normal voice while disguised like him. 39013 said that would never happen because he is always 100% in character while in that disguise. Or words to that effect.

R. Cat

PostWed May 17, 2017 4:57 pm

No way of knowing the actual sales figures, but hopefully enough long-time serial fans & converts are buying DoTRC for KINO to sign-off on more trips to the vaults. If available, there are plenty of serials from Republic's golden age that rise to Daredevils level of action, pacing and clever cliffhangers. My suggestion would be to let KINO know that these efforts are appreciated while praising Paramount's team. I'm sure everyone is aware that KINO-Lorber has a Facebook page and website.

Over on the silent cinema side it looks like we'll have nine classic features from KINO in the coming months (woo-hoo!). If that seems odd, keep in mind that there's probably less capital investment for older titles from PD sources. With Republic serials the cash outlay for licensing archived 35mm elements and producing HD transfers probably make the profit margins narrower. Since we're the audience we'll have to prove these efforts worthwhile.

Sorry if this comes across as cheerleading, but I'll leave no Pom-Pom unturned to root for more serials on HD media. :lol:

Marr&Colton

PostThu May 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Last night at my home theatre movie night, in our shorts program was chapter one of this great serial.
Magnificent quality on the big screen and well received. Incredible stunts and fast moving action!

I see we have three library systems I'm aware of in a 150 mile radius that have bought the DVD.

R. Cat

PostFri May 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Marr&Colton wrote:Last night at my home theatre movie night, in our shorts program was chapter one of this great serial.
Magnificent quality on the big screen and well received. Incredible stunts and fast moving action!

I see we have three library systems I'm aware of in a 150 mile radius that have bought the DVD.

Couldn't agree more. This looks great projected on an HT screen.

BTW, just came across another great review at Blu-ray.com with some nice screen captures. Their review of the video (PQ) is 4.2 of 5...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Daredevils-of-the-Red-Circle-Blu-ray/163393/

bigshot

PostMon May 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Captain Marvel has been bumped to a mid-September release.

R. Cat

PostFri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm

bigshot wrote:Captain Marvel has been bumped to a mid-September release.

The earlier scheduling of Captain Marvel right on the heels of Daredevils seemed a little tight to me. I'd much rather see these releases come out fully restored and looking great than a rush job.

Stuart Galbraith's 4.5/5 review of DoTRC, posted May 25 on the DVD Talk site, is linked here...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72089/da ... ed-circle/

I concur wholeheartedly with Stuart's assessment, adding that having had the opportunity to view quite a few serials back when 16mm prints were a staple of comic convention film-rooms, there are many other Republic's that hold up as well for plotting, acting, cliffhanger originality and stunt-work. It's also worth mentioning the amazing FX wizardry of brothers Howard and Theodore Lydecker. They could make an effects budget in the thousands look like millions on the screen...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydecker_brothers

R. Cat

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Just a quick follow-up for those interested. The pre-order pricing for the 4K restored Adventures of Captain Marvel Republic serial BD has just dropped at Amazon ($19.99) and KINO ($14.97 as part of their 50% off sale). Shipping is steeper at KINO, but the cost break should tip in the buyer's favor with multiple purchases.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Capta ... LWR973/ref

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/4600

Release date is currently scheduled for Sept. 17
Previous

Return to Talkie News