The Greatest Popcorn Breaks In Film History

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JFK

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

For this thread, let's consider "popcorn breaks" to be any voluntary temporary absences during an ongoing screening, including non-emergency bathroom breaks, reefer and tobacco sessions, and refreshment stand visits.
In your many years as an audience member, what scene in a feature, or short sandwiched between features, provoked the most short-term egresses? And, let's start with the assumption that the all-time-winner is the Joan Baez segment in Woodstock (1970;director's cut 1994) - she was fine, but her appearance invariably triggers, in Pied Piper fashion, an aisle stampede by the young male rock fans in attendance.

16mm4FR

Re: The Greatest Popcorn Breaks In Film History

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Great subject!
Back in the late 70's, before the film was available on home video, the Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles held a one-time screening of MONTEREY POP in 35mm and 4-track magnetic sound, which I excitedly attended. If it didn't quite sell out it was certainly close to it, and several famous faces were in attendance. After the Jimi Hendrix Experience "Wild Thing" bonfire, 95% of the audience just up and left, wanting nothing to do with the final, and arguably best performance of the film courtesy of Ravi Shankar. Certainly the most spiritual.
Stupid hedonistic capitalists.

Donald Binks

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Ah! Popcorn! We never used to have the wretched stuff here in Oz - it's introduction to cinemas has only been in the last 20 years or so. I must say that I can't stand the smell of it, it makes me bilious - a fact I make known to those who would dare to sit next to me sporting what looks like a trash can full of the stuff! :D

One film I remember where there was a steady exiting of patrons which grew more rapid as it progressed - with a virtual stampede towards the end, was "Death in Venice". Perhaps audiences weren't quite ready for that sort of thing?

On the opposite tack, I was at a performance at Radio City Music Hall in New York. The Rockettes and stage show had just finished and I thought, terrific, it would now be interval and I could visit the lavatory. I was dying to go, as they say in the classics. No chance, the curtain went up and the film came on without a break. I had to sit cross-legged for ninety minutes.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

boblipton

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I take it the movie wasn't The Time of Your Life.

Bob
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers

Daniel Eagan

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Groucho told viewers when to go to the lobby in Horsefeathers.

wich2

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 8:16 pm

>I can't stand the smell of it, it makes me bilious - a fact I make known to those who would dare to sit next to me<

Not very gracious, from a man of your standing!

Donald Binks

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 pm

wich2 wrote:>I can't stand the smell of it, it makes me bilious - a fact I make known to those who would dare to sit next to me<

Not very gracious, from a man of your standing!

I think it to be most gracious of me to warn fellow patrons of the likelihood of me vomiting all over them!
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

radiotelefonia

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 11:40 pm

I openly hate to associate popcorn to films... I abhor the smell of popcorn in movie theaters.

In Argentina, there was never popcorn and it was only introduced in the 90s and I can't stand that smell.

Jim Roots

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 am

As someone has already indicated, the musical breaks in any Marx Brothers film is the time to go get a snack.

For little boys of the pre-hippie era, it was the mushy stuff that sent them to the refreshment bar.

For me, it's any time Ellen Burstyn shows up. I just can't stand to look at her and her perpetual facial expression of confused concern.

If it's a musical for which Busby Berkeley was brought in to direct the closing "stage" show, you can pretty much sit at the bar until the final 20 minutes.

I'm sure I'll be adding several others to this list...

Jim,
another popcorn non-fan

silentfilm

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 am

I was too young to see The Excorcist (1973) when it came out, but I saw it in college on-campus in 1979 or 1980. I'll never forget that after the first really scary scene, at least 50 people in the audience got up and they did not come back. It definitely was not a good movie for a first date!

Ray Faiola

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 am

My favorite:

Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Jul 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Donald Binks wrote:On the opposite tack, I was at a performance at Radio City Music Hall in New York. The Rockettes and stage show had just finished and I thought, terrific, it would now be interval and I could visit the lavatory. I was dying to go, as they say in the classics. No chance, the curtain went up and the film came on without a break. I had to sit cross-legged for ninety minutes.

That happened to me when I watched a reissue of A CLOCKWORK ORANGE around 1998. These days I wouldn't worry about missing a couple of minutes.

The BBC were like that in the 1970s with extra-long films which would normally have had an interval, as well as their double-bills which really could have done with a pee-break...

westegg

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:31 am

I'll courageously stand up as a proud popcorn eater. To me even in home theater mode it creates the nicest butter 'n salt atmosphere for viewing!

:)

JFK

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:37 am

And talk about inexpensive!
Simply enter an auditorium - whisk broom and dust pan in hand - while the previous screening is still in progress, and you'll find a carpet paved with still-warm kernels, with your only competition being over-fed mice.

"Popcorn" instrumental as recorded by "Hot Butter"{1972}

Dave Pitts

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am

George Jessel singing 'My Mother's Eyes' in Lucky Boy (he does this multiple times, so keep the corn a-poppin'.)
Charles King singing 'Your Mother and Mine' in Hollywood Revue (followed by Jack Benny playing it on the violin.)
No special reason for the similarity -- except that songs to mother in early talkies are like torture with bamboo needles.
And once you hear the Charles King song, that lugubrious melody will pop into your head, unbidden, at odd moments.
Sheeeesh!

greta de groat

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:47 am

Dave Pitts wrote:George Jessel singing 'My Mother's Eyes' in Lucky Boy (he does this multiple times, so keep the corn a-poppin'.)
Charles King singing 'Your Mother and Mine' in Hollywood Revue (followed by Jack Benny playing it on the violin.)
No special reason for the similarity -- except that songs to mother in early talkies are like torture with bamboo needles.
And once you hear the Charles King song, that lugubrious melody will pop into your head, unbidden, at odd moments.
Sheeeesh!

Didn't Warners slip in a joke about this in Show of Shows?

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

greta de groat

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 am

greta de groat wrote:
Dave Pitts wrote:George Jessel singing 'My Mother's Eyes' in Lucky Boy (he does this multiple times, so keep the corn a-poppin'.)
Sheeeesh!

Didn't Warners slip in a joke about 'Your Mother and Mine' in Show of Shows?

greta
Greta de Groat

ColemanShedman

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am

The quality of the popcorn in the vast majority of US theaters has declined so precipitously since they stopped using coconut oil as to nearly make this question moot (and don't get me started on the lack of real butter). That said, I was never one to get up much during a film...only the most insistent call of nature (or a truly terrible film) could get me to leave my seat. (Likely because I'm cheap and want to get all the movie I paid (too much) for). In my younger days, I worked as a dj on the radio, and I can tell you that American Pie and Hey Jude were two of the songs most often chosen to play when nature called. Nowadays, with everything on a hard drive, this is also moot.

JFK

My Terrible Confession

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 11:26 am

George Jessel singing 'My Mother's Eyes' in Lucky Boy (he does this multiple times, so keep the corn a-poppin'.)
A maudlin blend of corn & onion - I hold my nose, but I can't stop the tears.

Song's First Commercial Recording
Singing it on the Gleason Show
Last edited by JFK on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jim Roots

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:29 pm

JFK wrote:
...American Pie and Hey Jude were two of the songs most often chosen to play when nature called.

On a related topic, performance length provides an indicator of a singer's overall bladder resiliency.
RUNNING TIME:7:11................................RUNNING TIME: 3:51
ImageImage

Well, shame on Der Bingle for cutting out four minutes of "Na na na, na na na" repetitions. I would have done the same, mind you, but I sing like a Zamboni revving in reverse gear.

Jim

greta de groat

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 pm

I love popcorn, though not while watching a movie. It's a healthy, whole grain food and fairly low in calories. But why can't i get completely plain popcorn at a movie theater? It comes out of the popper with all that weird smelling junk on it. Does more harm than good eaten in that state, besides tasting awful. Not to mention the smallest size being at least 4 times whatever i would eat. It's actually revolting.

greta
Greta de Groat

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 am

greta de groat wrote:I love popcorn, though not while watching a movie. It's a healthy, whole grain food and fairly low in calories. But why can't i get completely plain popcorn at a movie theater? It comes out of the popper with all that weird smelling junk on it. Does more harm than good eaten in that state, besides tasting awful. Not to mention the smallest size being at least 4 times whatever i would eat. It's actually revolting.

greta

Amen! Amen!! Amen!!! Back in 1980 I worked in a winery lab doing an experiment on malo-lactic fermentation levels in sauvignon blanc. One of the bi-products of malo-lactic is di-acytil, which is, for all intents and purposes, the artificial butter (and that god-awful smell) that is put on popcorn in the theaters. To this day, I can't stand that smell! And you're right, Greta, the amounts that you see people getting is unholy. It's no wonder people are beginning to look like balloons at the bursting stage...

Jim Roots

Re: My Terrible Confession

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 am

JFK wrote:
A maudlin blend of corn & onion - I hold my nose, but I can't stop the tears.

Singing it on the Gleason show

What do you do with your ears?

Jim

JFK

My Tear-Stained Confessions

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 6:03 am

What do you do with your ears?

1. Why, I blot my tears with them!
OR Sometimes ....

2. Has anyone ever witnesssed an audience member taking a break during a Gene Kelly extended dance sequence? I have!!!

Dave Pitts

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 am

To Greta, from above: Yep, good memory -- I just watched Show of Shows last night & found that spoofing reference to Your Mother and Mine. It happens in the recitative routine with Frank Fay (odious!) and Bea Lillie (peerless) and two others. They are deep in a routine with very ripe humor, they back into the stage curtain, and, as if they've been kicked forward, they launch into a few bars of Your Mother...done deadpan -- you have to wonder how many viewers in 1929 caught the spirit of the thing. Very offbeat spirit which implies that the audience is just as sick of the song as the performers.

greta de groat

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 am

Dave Pitts wrote:To Greta, from above: Yep, good memory -- I just watched Show of Shows last night & found that spoofing reference to Your Mother and Mine. It happens in the recitative routine with Frank Fay (odious!) and Bea Lillie (peerless) and two others. They are deep in a routine with very ripe humor, they back into the stage curtain, and, as if they've been kicked forward, they launch into a few bars of Your Mother...done deadpan -- you have to wonder how many viewers in 1929 caught the spirit of the thing. Very offbeat spirit which implies that the audience is just as sick of the song as the performers.

I watched the two films in close succession a few years back and it seemed to me that there were a few little digs at the MGM film--including the Singing in the Bathtub number. Watching Show of Shows the first time, the Your Mother ... part struck me as very odd and mysterious, and it stayed in my head.

greta
Greta de Groat

Return to Talking About Talkies