My Barbara La Marr Biography

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Sherri

My Barbara La Marr Biography

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 2:37 pm

I am thrilled to announce that my completed Barbara La Marr biography, written at the request of her son, Donald Gallery, has been "wholeheartedly approved" for publication by University Press of Kentucky! It will be published in their Fall 2017 Screen Classics series, perhaps as soon as August.

Meticulously compiled from myriad sources—including never-before-released information from Donald Gallery and descendants of people close to Barbara, Barbara’s private diary, memoirs of those who knew and romanced her, and an extensive collection of Barbara’s poetry—the book presents an intimate look at Barbara’s life story, told in its entirety for the first time.

I have truly been putting a tremendous amount of work and research, my heart, and my soul into this project these past so many years and am extremely excited to get Barbara's incredible story out there. For now, feel free to peruse my Barbara La Marr tribute website for future book updates and to learn about her amazing life and career during Hollywood's silent days: www.barbaralamarr.net

silentfilm

Re: My Barbara La Marr Biography

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 6:50 pm

Congratulations!

Sherri

PostThu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you, Bruce.

smokey15

PostFri Oct 07, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm so happy to read this. I had read several years ago that a bio of Barbara was in the works. Then (if memory serves me correct) the author died. Barbara's son was going to finish it but then he too died.
I'm not sure if that was all true but I never read anything else about a bio on her. It was sad. I find her fascinating and
can't wait for the book to come out. This is such great news! Much of her life was cloaked in mystery and legend.
I'll be one of the first in line to buy the book.

telical

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Congratulations. It's always nice to see a new book from members here.

Harlowgold

PostSun Oct 09, 2016 4:30 pm

I am curious did you have access to the archives of the late Jimmy Bangley, who frequently wrote of Lamarr in the 1990's in Classic Images magazine and had planned to do a book about her back then?

Sherri

PostMon Oct 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Thank you for the responses and interest in the book, everyone.

Smokey, you are correct. There was a bio in the works by Jimmy Bangley and then he passed away. Then Donald Gallery, Barbara's son, was planning to do it. When Don met me in 2007 (he came to see me portray Barbara in a performance piece I wrote about her life), he then asked me to do it. Sadly, Don passed in October 2014.

For anyone who is interested, feel free to visit my Barbara La Marr tribute website (http://www.barbaralamarr.net) to read about how Don and I met (choose the "About/Contact Sherri" tab at the top) . There are also some blog posts about Don's life and many photographs, blog posts, and other information about Barbara on the site.

To answer your question Harlowgold, Donald Gallery gave me all of Jimmy's files that were in his possession. It was essentially material I had already found through my own research, however.

Thank you again for your interest,
Sherri

Sherri

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 10:08 pm

My biography, Barbara La Marr: The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful for Hollywood, scheduled for release in early December by the University Press of Kentucky, is now available for pre-order on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Barbara-Marr-Bea ... 52&seller=).

Writer and cinema historian Annette Bochenek recently interviewed me about the book. Creator of the Hometowns to Hollywood website, Annette offers a fascinating look at the oftentimes modest beginnings of Old Hollywood’s biggest icons. Feel free to read my interview with Annette and her review of Barbara La Marr: The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful for Hollywood on her blog: https://home2hollywood.wordpress.com/bo ... hollywood/.

wms4silents

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Eagerly awaiting your book.......Barbara La Marr was certainly overdue for a book.....Loved her with Fairbanks in Three Musketeers.....congratulations....

Lagonda

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 4:34 pm

I am so glad to read this since I thought there would never be a La Marr biography (not to mention the fictional one by Arnold Bronnen).
Thank you so much, Sherri.

I once read that Michael C. Ankerich was interested to do a La Marr biography, too...

wms4silents

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Definitely order the first time i see it available.....hopefully on Amazon......long over due

dalefullerfan2014

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 pm

I saw her last film "The Girl From Montimartre" in a 35mm print at the Eastman House sometime in the mid 1990's. If I remember correctly her name isn't even on the films credits. I suppose First National was cutting their losses.
Randy

smokey15

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 pm

I can't wait for the book to come out. I had given up hope when I heard that her son had died before
the book could be completed.

Return to Silent News