Cinecon 2017?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Brooksie

Cinecon 2017?

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 1:23 am

Here we are, a week after the event and not a single review! Does anyone have any, or has anyone seen any elsewhere that they could link to, for those of us who were unable to attend this year?

missdupont

Re: Cinecon 2017?

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 am

My review will be up on Monday, I've had research jobs to do this week. We had a small but mighty dinner last Sunday night, in the Pig N Whistle's private room. Unfortunately, none of us thought to take photos. We came out at the conclusion of a rain shower and so enjoyed the cooler weather.

Ray Faiola

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Well, I was there and it was a blast. I had lots of other business so I didn't go to every screening, but highlights were STEAMBOAT BILL, JR with live orchestra; Three Universal B's (NORTH TO THE KLONDIKE, LA CONGA NIGHTS and the lousy RIDERS OF THE SANTA FE); UNTAMED (1939) in Technicolor followed by an appearance by Patricia Morison (she's 102 and delightful); Legacy Award also given to Norman Lloyd (also 102 and amazing - he does a great double-take!). Stan Taffel did a Kinecon at Cinecon Kinescope program which was terrific.

Two rooms and one hallway of paper dealers. No Film for sale.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Brooksie

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Good to hear that the tradition has been maintained (and that tradition includes forgetting to take a photo - or else being too absorbed in the conversation to remember ... :lol: )

Jim Roots

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 7:59 am

Brooksie wrote:Good to hear that the tradition has been maintained (and that tradition includes forgetting to take a photo - or else being too absorbed in the conversation to remember ... :lol: )

I'll bet alcohol was also a factor.

Jim

Jim Harwood

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 3:39 pm

We did have our largest turnout in 21 years and, in my opinion, one of our strongest film programs.

Brooksie

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Brooksie wrote:Good to hear that the tradition has been maintained (and that tradition includes forgetting to take a photo - or else being too absorbed in the conversation to remember ... :lol: )

Jim

Believe it or not, overindulgence rarely becomes problematic at Cinecon - mainly because we're all too busy rushing from film to film and trying to stay alert for each one. Last year I only ate about half of my Nitrateville dinner meal, and in the rush to see the rare Doug Fairbanks picture that was showing in the theatrette, ended up leaving the rest under a chair in a takeaway box. Who needs food when you've got movies? You must join us one year!

Jim Harwood - I understand that attendance was very strong, and anecdotally I've heard of a number of folk attending this years' event either for the first time, or the first time in years. Long may it live, and I certainly hope to be back next time.

missdupont

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 am

While I found the entire festival mixed, Monday was a truly outstanding day of entertaining films, running the gamut from tone poem to crowd pleaser to timely political drama. In fact, "Power of the Press" garnered applause at several points for its prescient take on issues that still affect us today. There was lovely live accompaniment with the silent films and the entertaining kinescopes offered a fresh eye on American television in the 1950s.
https://ladailymirror.com/2017/09/11/ma ... rtainment/

Frederica

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

Probably not, since I wasn't there.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Jim Roots

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:39 am

Frederica wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

Probably not, since I wasn't there.

First one you've missed in how long?

(Referring to the festival, not the drinks.)

Jim

Frederica

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Frederica wrote:Probably not, since I wasn't there.

First one you've missed in how long? (Referring to the festival, not the drinks.)

Jim

I was traveling and missed Cinecon last year. I bought day passes for Cinecon weekend this year but the Gods of Vacation Travel and Film Festival Attendance had other plans.

Ms Brooksie is correct, most of the cinegoons do not drink. There are a few of us who are happy to linger over our martinis, sidecars, whatever, and we make plans to dine at Mussos and indulge, but due to the aforementioned irate Gods I could not make that date either.

I have since made up for that at home.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian

Lokke Heiss

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I heard that this year they brought back a dual-program, where they had a second venue for screening video rarities. This is what they did back in the 90s when I lived in LA, and I campaigned (vainly) to keep it going. The point was that this was a great venue to show tv/video that just made a lot more sense in a smaller venue. Since none of this was going to be screened otherwise, this was a great place to show it off.

Now that I live in NYC, (and have a trip planned for Pordenone), a trip back to LA for an event like Cinecon just doesn't make financial sense anymore, but I miss it anyway, and am curious as to reactions to the return to a second venue for the programming.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

Bob Furem

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Would love a few more specifics from those fortunate enough to attend. How was the Connie Talmadge film?

missdupont

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:59 pm

If you read the link to my review, I talk about double programs and the Constance Talmadge film.

Bob Furem

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 2:18 pm

missdupont wrote:If you read the link to my review, I talk about double programs and the Constance Talmadge film.

I somehow missed the link. Thank you.

tthacker

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 6:28 pm

Managed to see more films than I had the previous 2 years. A quick list of those that I enjoyed the most: Woman Chases Man, Shark Monroe, The Brat, The Accusing Finger, Untamed, La Conga Nights, and The President Vanishes. And I finally made it to the dinner. Very enjoyable, although I mostly just sat and listened to others. And had a beer.

LouieD

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 7:04 pm

Frederica wrote:
Ms Brooksie is correct, most of the cinegoons do not drink.

Yeah, I always found that to be weird.

Ray Faiola

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 am

Templeton Rye!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Frederica

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 am

Ray Faiola wrote:Templeton Rye!

Where the hell have you been?
Fred
Kim Kierkegaardashian

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am

Frederica wrote:
Ray Faiola wrote:Templeton Rye!

Where the hell have you been?

Iowa, it would seem...and he has excellent taste...

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 11:38 am

I have nothing against the quaffing of a well-crafted brew, but I don't need any help falling asleep at a show that starts at 9:30. It's an either/or for me.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

filmJan

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi - I go to Cinecon every year and for me, this non-drinking is done so that I don't get too drowsy or fall asleep and miss movies that I may never get a chance to see again (and I already have trouble with getting exhausted at this, even without the alcohol). I normally (non-Cinecon, the rest-of-the-year) indulge in a couple of daily cocktails (usually around happy-hour time), plus wine with dinner.

I have been writing a review for Cinecon 53 and have it about half done at:
http://www.silentmoviecrazy.com/cinecon ... eviews.htm
My favorite movies were: The Brat, The Perfect Woman, The Black Room, The Accusing Finger, Polly Redhead, Salvation Hunters, When Dawn Came.

Janet

Donald Binks

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

As much as I would love to attend one of these events (maybe my bank manager will be more friendly one day?) I too would not partake of a tempting libation on account of entering the Land of Nod at an inopportune time. Previous to me making this edict with myself, I would happily doze off and miss things.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

greta de groat

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Sounds like Constance Talmadge's The Perfect Woman is the same plot as sister Norma's The Social Secretary (the first part of it anyway).

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Harlett O'Dowd

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 am

LouieD wrote:
Frederica wrote:
Ms Brooksie is correct, most of the cinegoons do not drink.

Yeah, I always found that to be weird.

We need to arrange a meeting of you, Fred, me, movies and (afterwards) alcohol

Brooksie

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am

Thank you to everyone who has contributed reviews so far. Second to actually seeing the films, writing and reading the reviews afterwards is my favourite aspect of Cinecon. Keep 'em coming if you have 'em!

dalefullerfan2014

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm

I'm looking forward to the rest of filmjan's Cinecon reviews. I saw "The Salvation Hunters" and found the film pretentious and very heavy handed. The print was nice though and Scott Lasky's accompaniment terrific.
Randy

filmJan

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 9:19 am

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:I'm looking forward to the rest of filmjan's Cinecon reviews. I saw "The Salvation Hunters" and found the film pretentious and very heavy handed. The print was nice though and Scott Lasky's accompaniment terrific.
Randy

Thanks Randy - I actually really enjoyed Salvation Hunters. I am getting close to finishing up the Cinecon 53 reviews I have done, so most will be posted soon (a few of the films I never got anything written up, and now have almost forgotten the plots!).

dalefullerfan2014

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am

Hi Janet,
Thanks a lot.
Randy
PS,
I went into "The Salvation Hunters" with high expectations. I really wanted to enjoy it. It just didn't work for me on any level. Nice print and accompaniment though. Good audience response too. Now if only "The Drag Net"(1928) and especially the 1929 "The Case of Lena Smith" would service. I believe 10 minutes or so of the latter turned up in China(?) a while back.

dalefullerfan2014

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Oops!
I mean surface and not service.
Randy
PS,
That damn blood pressure medicine.
Next

Return to Talking About Talkies