THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

scallenger

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Oh, I see! Well that makes a lot more sense to me now about the collaboration with the Alloy Orchestra. Fantastic!

As for the film itself, sans music, you noted that it restored the original narrative cards (or at least the dialogue of them itself). Were there other improvements apart from the image clarity and quality compared to Shepard's prior restoration? For example, does it now show the complete Brontosaurus tail swipe that the older version cut for some reason? Any of the newly-discovered footage that you can think of that stood out? I know from the recent interview that the cannibal scene is not there, sadly, but I am still hopeful for other gems in its extended runtime.

Rodney

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 6:05 pm

scallenger wrote:Oh, I see! Well that makes a lot more sense to me now about the collaboration with the Alloy Orchestra. Fantastic!

As for the film itself, sans music, you noted that it restored the original narrative cards (or at least the dialogue of them itself). Were there other improvements apart from the image clarity and quality compared to Shepard's prior restoration? For example, does it now show the complete Brontosaurus tail swipe that the older version cut for some reason? Any of the newly-discovered footage that you can think of that stood out? I know from the recent interview that the cannibal scene is not there, sadly, but I am still hopeful for other gems in its extended runtime.

Yes, I'm not as familiar with the earlier film as you are (I've mostly seen it in 16mm, and probably only three times). I know that a bunch of people get swiped by the tail in a shot in the London sequence, but don't know if it's longer than before. There may have been more of the dinosaur making bubbles in the Thames, but I couldn't swear to it. You shoulda been there and reported! :D I imagine that most of the footage that was cut in the shorter versions was non-dinosaur footage (since we know why people are watching this film), but I was happy to see more Bessie.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

rudyfan

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 12:26 am

I agree with Camille, the SF screening was terrific. Alloy was wonderful in SF, terrific. The bronto stuck in the mud, wailing as heartwrenching. Well done! For the bluray I thought I saw Robert Israel's name on the credits that were rolling before the projectionist turned off the DCP.

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:15 am

It always amazed me that so much of what was cut from the film for the hour-long version was dinosaur animation. Whoever was doing the editing really didn't understand the market of this movie.

wich2

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:29 am

...and yet...

When PHANTOM was trimmed, the goal seems to have been, "leave all the Chaney in" - and by cutting so much non-Chaney plot, they made the movie overall less effective.

Which, in a way, undercuts Chaney's work, too.

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 1:08 pm

Jeff Rapsis wrote:
Rodney wrote:Full disclosure: Alloy kindly loaned me a four-foot long pipe for our score for Silence, since I couldn't fit mine in checked luggage. It worked beautifully for the Foley-heavy beginning to that score.

That's one of the great things about Ken Winokur and Alloy: their generosity to other musicians! Last year, Ken loaned me an authentic boxing bell for several screenings of 'Battling Butler.' I was literally saved by the bell!

I'm going to have my first live Alloy experience later this week at Solid Sound in North Adams, Mass. (at MassMOCA). Can't wait! Still not sure what they'll be performing, but maybe it's better if it's a surprise.

(Never mind, it's been posted on the Solid Sound site: Man With a Movie Camera on Friday, Page of Madness on Saturday. Stoked!)
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Nick_M

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 4:14 am

WaverBoy wrote:Might I plead that, if this is going to be running at a speed other than 24fps, you do 1080i instead of 1080p, in order to ward off any undesirable motion artifacting?

Judging by the clip on Vimeo, it will have stuttering motion. I spot-checked and it was repeating every 2nd, 3rd, and 5th frames. Ugh.

Great Hierophant

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 am

Nick_M wrote:
WaverBoy wrote:Might I plead that, if this is going to be running at a speed other than 24fps, you do 1080i instead of 1080p, in order to ward off any undesirable motion artifacting?

Judging by the clip on Vimeo, it will have stuttering motion. I spot-checked and it was repeating every 2nd, 3rd, and 5th frames. Ugh.

That could be Vimeo's processing, I would wait until we receive pressed discs before we make a final call on the release's frame rate issues, if any.

All Darc

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:29 am

Sorry my ignorance. May I ask if this nice clip it's a lost scene found recently, or a alternate take of a scene that was missing ?
Is it Kodascope print ? Looks good but not exactly up to a original 35mm print.

I'm trying to found whoe the FX composition was made. Obrien used small projection associated with miniatures, but in this clip I'm trying to find were is the divisory line.

Nick_M wrote:

Keep thinking...

fwtep

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:54 am

The entire bottom right quarter is the live action portion. It's pretty much exactly divided like that. It's not rear projection though.

All Darc

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:49 am

So it's a masked effect... Now I remamber it was a early effect, used in The Great Train Robbery.
It was well made in this scene.
Keep thinking...

WaverBoy

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 am

Anyone know why this essential extra was left out of Flicker Alley's Blu-ray? I mean, silent film trailers are super scarce, and here's one that actually exists, for a key silent film that just got an incredible restoration with more long-missing footage, and...it's not being included? Color me boggled.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... bdH7FQpZ9A" target="_blank

(By the by, I tried and failed six times to get the embedded video thing to work.)

silentfilm

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 11:40 am

Waverboy,
You have to remove the "s" from https. "m.youtube.com" is the mobile phone version of the website. You must use "www.youtube.com". Also the feature=you.tu.be tries to show other videos on the side of the screen, which isn't allowed on Nitrateville.

R. Cat

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 3:26 am

A DVDBeaver review of the Flicker Alley Blu-ray with screen shots is up. As reviews go, this is a stellar recommendation...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

bigshot

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Flicker Alley shipped this media mail. Ugh.

WaverBoy

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 pm

silentfilm wrote:

Waverboy,
You have to remove the "s" from https. "m.youtube.com" is the mobile phone version of the website. You must use "www.youtube.com". Also the feature=you.tu.be tries to show other videos on the side of the screen, which isn't allowed on Nitrateville.

I tried the non-mobile regular version of the website first, but that didn't work either. Maybe it was that second bit you mentioned. Oh well, better luck next time I guess. Thank you sir.

Battra92

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am

bigshot wrote:Flicker Alley shipped this media mail. Ugh.

It's not 2000 any more and shipping Priority mail is really quite expensive.

Nick_M

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 pm

However, a DVD sent USPS First Class costs about the same as media mail

BrianG

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 pm

It was shipped last Friday from Calif and I got it in NJ today (Monday). That's as quick as priority. I remember when media mail took weeks. Only watched about 30 minutes before my wife took control of the tv, but it looks great.

jacksonwalker2000

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 6:18 am

bigshot

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 am

Battra92 wrote:It's not 2000 any more and shipping Priority mail is really quite expensive.

Flicker Alley blu-rays are quite expensive too. They can charge me an extra 40 cents in shipping if they want. Besides, on their site it says First Class shipping. I received it now. I'll watch it next weekend.

Red Bartlett

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Flicker Alley is easily at the bottom of my "value-for-my-silent-dollar" list, but this may be another one of their releases where I'll have to suck it up and take my medicine. :(

This looks too fun...

R. Cat

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 am

Red Bartlett wrote:Flicker Alley is easily at the bottom of my "value-for-my-silent-dollar" list, but this may be another one of their releases where I'll have to suck it up and take my medicine. :(

This looks too fun...

Flicker Alley pricing is the 8000 lb. T-Rex in the room, but top notch quality & extras should go a long way toward easing the pain. And if reducing excess wallet weight relieves hip pressure, it might just be a win/win. :wink:

Mine arrived Tues. Yay!

SilentsPlease

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 am

I notice that the new Blu-ray opens with the same text as in the 2000 restoration (2001 Image DVD here): "For decades The Lost World could be seen only an abridged version about an hour in length."

Either Mr. Shepard is too modest to mention that his landmark 2000 restoration actually runs 93 minutes, or he wants to make this new Blu-ray seem more remarkable than it is. It would be more accurate to say, "For decades, The Lost World could only be seen in abridged versions ranging from an hour to 93 minutes in length."
Last edited by SilentsPlease on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilentsPlease

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

Battra92 wrote:

It's not 2000 any more and shipping Priority mail is really quite expensive.

Not to mention, it is not always worth it. USPS is not like UPS, and doesn't guarantee delivery time. USPS Priority Mail has the same 1-3 business days delivery as the cheaper First-Class mail according to the official info, and that should tell you the minimal advantage you have with priority mail. And without guarantee of delivery date, you could end up receiving priority mail in 4 days, or you could receive first-class mail in less than 3 days, all depending on your luck. The only advantage of priority mail is that you can use a flat-fee box containing up to 70 lbs. First-class mail, as many of you may be aware, is limited to 13 ounces only. If your mail is over 13 ounces, it is automatically bumped up to parcel post, which incurs higher postage and has a unguaranteed delivery window of 2-8 business days just like media mail. Btw, Flicker Alley shipped this BD to me on Sept-8 via media mail from the west coast and I got it only 3 days later on the east coast. But I have had media mail arriving more than 8 days after shipping.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 am

If Flicker Alley seems expensive, you can always collect 16mm.

Really, they do fantastic things that they rescue from the depths of obscurity and present in first class editions. I could take my family to a crappy summer blockbuster and spend $50 on the four of us before popcorn and drinks. To get Behind the Door after all these years, for $34.95 (or less if you pre-order), I just don't see anything to do but bow down and give thanks and yell...

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

SilentsPlease

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 9:50 am

They are a small company and need to save on postage, simple as that. This disc weighs about 10 ounces with the envelope, so they could have shipped via first-class postage here. But as you can see in this price chart, a 10-oz package would cost $3.96 first-class postage. But this chart shows that media mail would only cost $2.63. Note that $2.63 is good for 1 pound or less, good enough for some of their heavier discs. For a company that probably ships hundreds or thousands of discs every year, they need to make this saving.

Red Bartlett

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am

Mike Gebert wrote:If Flicker Alley seems expensive, you can always collect 16mm.

Really, they do fantastic things that they rescue from the depths of obscurity and present in first class editions. I could take my family to a crappy summer blockbuster and spend $50 on the four of us before popcorn and drinks. To get Behind the Door after all these years, for $34.95 (or less if you pre-order), I just don't see anything to do but bow down and give thanks and yell...

I agree for the most part. There's certainly value when comparing a $40 blu-ray over spending $100 (or more) for taking the family to a movie (which we rarely do)... although the experience of a nice theater and a good highly-anticipated movie is worth the memories for me.

I'm comparing Flicker's prices to the competition. I never buy Criterions at full price -- usually for $20 during a B&N sale. And Kino's run around $18-20. Flicker does a good job most of the time (I guess I'd rank them somewhere between Kino and Criterion). But they cost two of those.

Dead horse, I know. Point is -- despite Flicker putting out a lot of great titles -- there's a reason I have a shelf full of Kino and Criterions.

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 pm

I came of age during the late, unlamented Laserdisc Era, so I pretty much never complain about pricing these days.

Of course, I still complain about the cost of shipping (to the far-flung arse-end of Canada) till the cows come home.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Saint-Just

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Even apart from the cost I can't get excited about this - the stop motion is the star, the rest is pretty middling stuff, and Lloyd Hughes must be the blandest leading man of the entire silent era. When I had the Lumivision DVD I watched the extras far more than the feature; I have the Image version now and couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at any of it.
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News